What CPU(s) Are You Running in Your Build(s)?

You really have an issue with people making choices that are different from what you think they should make don't you.  Go on now, tell me again how you think a Xeon would have been better - can you stop yourself?

Lol not really. I just think you made a bad choice is all. Since you asked anyways (even though you want me to "stop myself" which doesn't make sense, as you literally just asked me before that as to why the Xeon is better) the Xeon 1245 v3 is an i7 4770 for 289.99. You could probably find it cheaper too. While the 4770 is 300 dollars and was more expensive when it first came out if I remember correctly. I'm not arguing with you, I'm just literally explaining to you how you could have saved money for the same exact performance almost. 

Lol not really. I just think you made a bad choice is all. Since you asked anyways (even though you want me to "stop myself" which doesn't make sense, as you literally just asked me before that as to why the Xeon is better) the Xeon 1245 v3 is an i7 4770 for 289.99. You could probably find it cheaper too. While the 4770 is 300 dollars and was more expensive when it first came out if I remember correctly. I'm not arguing with you, I'm just literally explaining to you how you could have saved money for the same exact performance almost. 

At no point have you actually asked why I made this choice, so your continued comments aren't about my decisions - they're rather about you aserting your judgement on another person.  I came in and posted in this thread to contribute and discuss choices if anyone was interested.  However all you've done is tell me what a worthless choice I've made - and at no point asking 'Hey, thats an interesting choice why did you choose that one?'.  Because frankly you're not interested in other peoples choices if they don't conform with your own view.  And again, I've very happy with my choice, its satisfied my critera.

Hush clear that who get's his stupid point along first elsewhere. Offtopic ^

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

I purchased the 'completely overpriced' 4770 becuase I needed a new PC to handle the photography contracts I had picked up.  I didn't want to overclock, so no need to spend extra on the K.  Rather than spending time figuring out if the architure of a Xeon would impact on further inhancements to the software I was using, I decided to go with a consumer grade chip rather than a Xeon.  The software I use isn't optimised for six cores - hell half the time its not optimised for quad core.  Hence the fastest i7 without getting into silly money was the 4770.  Pretty easy really.  Perhaps a Xeon would have saved me some money upfront, however it would have cost more than it would have saved to figure out if there where any differences that would impact on the software I use.

There, I'm out.

Performance wise there should not be much difference if the Core & Xeon processor are based on the same architecture and run on the same clock speed ;)

Do the Xeon cpus overclock well? Just curious.

No they can't OC at all, the price to performance is just really amazing though. 250 dollars for an i7 pretty much.

Performance wise there should not be much difference if the Core & Xeon processor are based on the same architecture and run on the same clock speed ;)

That was my point. 

Hush clear that who get's his stupid point along first elsewhere. Offtopic ^

I think someone is just a little salty honestly. He ASKED me why I would go with that, I answered, then got mad about it. 

At no point have you actually asked why I made this choice, so your continued comments aren't about my decisions - they're rather about you aserting your judgement on another person.  I came in and posted in this thread to contribute and discuss choices if anyone was interested.  However all you've done is tell me what a worthless choice I've made - and at no point asking 'Hey, thats an interesting choice why did you choose that one?'.  Because frankly you're not interested in other peoples choices if they don't conform with your own view.  And again, I've very happy with my choice, its satisfied my critera.

What you just said made no sense and I have no idea what you're talking about. 

I purchased the 'completely overpriced' 4770 becuase I needed a new PC to handle the photography contracts I had picked up.  I didn't want to overclock, so no need to spend extra on the K.  Rather than spending time figuring out if the architure of a Xeon would impact on further inhancements to the software I was using, I decided to go with a consumer grade chip rather than a Xeon.  The software I use isn't optimised for six cores - hell half the time its not optimised for quad core.  Hence the fastest i7 without getting into silly money was the 4770.  Pretty easy really.  Perhaps a Xeon would have saved me some money upfront, however it would have cost more than it would have saved to figure out if there where any differences that would impact on the software I use.

There, I'm out.

The Xeon is a 4 core, exactly the same as the i7. Has no iGPU however for like 20 dollars more you could buy one with an iGPU (which would have still been cheaper than buying your current i7). You literally aren't understanding my point. You've been aggressive to me the entire time while I've been nicely explaining to you IN MY OPINION why you made a slightly bad choice and could have saved money. 

What you just said made no sense and I have no idea what you're talking about. 

The Xeon is a 4 core, exactly the same as the i7. Has no iGPU however for like 20 dollars more you could buy one with an iGPU (which would have still been cheaper than buying your current i7). You literally aren't understanding my point. You've been aggressive to me the entire time while I've been nicely explaining to you IN MY OPINION why you made a slightly bad choice and could have saved money. 

So what Xeon are you saying to buy, I am curious and want to look into it. I want nothing to do with the argument but I am always happy to see other options.

So what Xeon are you saying to buy, I am curious and want to look into it. I want nothing to do with the argument but I am always happy to see other options.

My pleasure. The Xeon selections I'm referring to is the E3 series (V3 being haswell, V2 being Ivy, and the original being Sandy if I remember correctly). The specific one I am referring to and usually recommend to people is the E3 1231 V3 (originally I recommended the E3 1230 V3, but that is now the older model, the 1231 V3 works with Z97 boards as well and has a 100Mhz core clock and turbo clock boost). The one I WOULD recommend to "Mike" would be the 1246 V3 (originally the 1245 V3, same reason, this is now the older model with lower clock speeds) because it has an iGPU. However I'm not sure how much the 1246 V3 is, as it may be the same price as a 4770 so then he wouldn't really be saving money I guess.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

I have a 4770k that I spent a ton of money on to keep cool (custom loop) but it won't overclock past 4.2ghz even if I run 1.4v through it. But at least it never goes past 35c and the GPU I got is BEAST. But on topic I just run it at stock for gaming and web browsing, no video editing or anything like that. I also F@H at night.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

I have a 4770k that I spent a ton of money on to keep cool (custom loop) but it won't overclock past 4.2ghz even if I run 1.4v through it. But at least it never goes past 35c and the GPU I got is BEAST. But on topic I just run it at stock for gaming and web browsing, no video editing or anything like that. I also F@H at night.

Nice. :) Sorry to hear it wont go past 4.2Ghz. :0

I have a Core i5 4670K at stock 3.4 ghz for now but I'm getting an aftermarket cooler for it so I can overclock it

Life.exe is missing

So the Intel Xeon E3-1246V3 vs a 4790K at 4.7GHz...who gets the win? I assume the 4790K because its nearly the same CPU but the K series is overclocked? I'm new to this Xeon thing as the last time I looked into them they were like 1000 dollars.

I have a Core i5 4670K at stock 3.4 ghz for now but I'm getting an aftermarket cooler for it so I can overclock it

Awesome. :) 

So the Intel Xeon E3-1246V3 vs a 4790K at 4.7GHz...who gets the win? I assume the 4790K because its nearly the same CPU but the K series is overclocked? I'm new to this Xeon thing as the last time I looked into them they were like 1000 dollars.

The E3 Xeon's have always been priced at sub 300 dollars. Yes the i7 at 4.7Ghz DOES win, but that's because you CAN overclock. However on SOME motherboards you can LOCK the Xeon at it's turbo boost. Meaning since the 1246 V3 has a turbo of 3.9Ghz, you can LOCK it at that speed and still possibly not need an aftermarket cooler because the Xeon's typically run cooler. Again though, if you're an enthusiast on a budget, or don't care about overclocking the E3 Xeon 1231 V3 is a perfect choice. 

Why? Because not only can you buy a cheaper motherboard, you also don't need to worry about additional CPU cooling. Thus saving even more money. You'd most likely not use the iGPU therefore you'd buy a dedicated GPU anyways, so the iGPU in the i7 (which is what makes it cost more AND run hotter) is typically useless to most people. 

Lets say you want an i7, a cooler for good overclocks, and a good Z8/97 motherboard. The i7 is typically 340 USD, most people buy about a 130 to 200 dollar Z series motherboard, anddd lets say the Corsair H100i for the good water cooler which is about another 100 dollars. So 340+100+130-200= 570-640 USD. 

HOWEVER, if you buy the 1231 V3 Xeon it's about 250-265 USD (depending on where you're looking) + a H97 or cheap Z97 board for about 100 dollars or less, that's a little more than a SINGLE i7-4790k with no motherboard and no cooling. 

This is why the Xeon's price to performance is simply amazing and why they are slowly getting more popular. 

That makes sense for non overclockers then. The iGPU has saved my ass numerous times when flashing my actually GPU's BIOs so even though IO dont need it I prefer to have it. Thanks for opening up the door to people I help build computers though because I never would have though about a Xeon until now.

That makes sense for non overclockers then. The iGPU has saved my ass numerous times when flashing my actually GPU's BIOs so even though IO dont need it I prefer to have it. Thanks for opening up the door to people I help build computers though because I never would have though about a Xeon until now.

Well you can get a Xeon with an iGPU, that'd be the 1245 or 1246 V3's lol. The Xeon's that typically end with a "5" at the end of them have iGPU's.