how reliable is gpuboss and cpuboss?

They seem pretty BAD to me because of this alone (screenshot below) but I have seen people defending them to death,especially nvidia fans.

post-83067-0-62512900-1405015998.png

I think those two rely entirely on theoretical performance using numbers like GHz, amount of cores, what has an IGPU or not, etc. over real-world data. 

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

fairly reliable, sometimes they aren't but usually they are. I have noticed gpu boss tends to favor nvidia and cpu boss tends to favor Intel. Not always though. Does that help?

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

GPUBoss tends to be pretty nVidia biased for whatever reason.

Take this for example.

In the real world, the 280x beats the 770 very frequently, while they do trade blows in some games.

And this. This too, if you want.

APPARENTLY MY 770'S ARE BEAST AS NUTS.

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

The graphics are mostly accurate as well as the stats, but their reasonings are fucking bullshit (Specially the "score"). I use the site extensively but mainly to look at the specs and few general benches of things, you can pretty much draw your own conclusions by just glancing at them.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Idk, i cant stand it. gtx 770 the same as the 290? 780 by far better than the 290 again? not even close

Why even make this thread about nvidia?????????????

you're profile picture is AMD, this is a bias post, what is the point????

I can see your point, but being an AMD fanboy basicly makes this pointless

CPU: i7 8700k Motherboard: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 white, 2 black) GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3 SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PSU: Corsair RM750i OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Samsung S24C570L 1080p 23.6" + AOC AGON 240Hz 1080p Sound: HyperX Cloud Headset Black/Red + Logitech Z213 Speakers 2.1

Don't rely on a single source of information for benchmarks/reviews and you'll be good

GPUBoss is really good for telling you what's on the box so that you can compare at a glance. The 1-10 scoring seems pointless, just look at the benchmarks with actual results.

Build Logs

Project "Oh No" | Ice Pack | Secondhand | MicroP

Why even make this thread about nvidia?????????????

you're profile picture is AMD, this is a bias post, what is the point????

I can see your point, but being an AMD fanboy basicly makes this pointless

Not an amd fanboy, but still. I have never seen gpuboss declaring amd the winner,especially in higher end gpus.

Not an amd fanboy, but still. I have never seen gpuboss declaring amd the winner,especially in higher end gpus.

if you are not an amd fanboy then why is your profile picture AMD? I personally like nvidia gpus over amd gpus by a slight bit because geforce experience and shadow play you get with them but i don't have a picture of nvidia as my profile picture.

CPU: i7 8700k Motherboard: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 white, 2 black) GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3 SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PSU: Corsair RM750i OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Samsung S24C570L 1080p 23.6" + AOC AGON 240Hz 1080p Sound: HyperX Cloud Headset Black/Red + Logitech Z213 Speakers 2.1

if you are not an amd fanboy then why is your profile picture AMD? I personally like nvidia gpus over amd gpus by a slight bit because geforce experience and shadow play you get with them but i don't have a picture of nvidia as my profile picture.

I just liked this particular pick. I prefer intel cpus and amd gpus over nvidia gpus and amd cpus, but that does not necessarily make me a fanboy

CPUBoss is pretty reliable. Seems pretty accurate to me

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

GPUBoss is only reliable for NVidia cards, they are know to make the AMD cards look bad in comparisons.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

They are junk. If you compare a GTX 470 to a 560Ti, it will tell you the 560Ti is better based on nothing but stats and conjecture, but when you have the two cards in hand, the 470 stomps all over the 560Ti.

These sites are stat-based guesswork and only useful for a ballpark estimate.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I think CPUBoss and GPUBoss are both biased imo. If you want to compare component's performance, I would go to review sites that have the two components reviewed on the same site (to be consistent) and compare the benchmarks
(ex. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU14/815 for gpu and http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1033 for cpu)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Just look at general compute performance: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-TITAN-Z-vs-GeForce-GTX-780-Ti

+this (R9 290 vs GTX 770)

post-53144-0-76349400-1405271964.png

post-53144-0-10173300-1405271981.png

AAAAND this

post-53144-0-73027800-1405272230.png

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

GPUboss is not that reliable. It increases the score of Nvidia GPUs when they are compared to AMD ones.

Is it a monkey? Is it an ape? I don't care, I LOVE'EM!

Why must there be a discussion about things like this? References to websites like CPUBoss, GPUBoss and HW-compare should be permanently banned in any half-decent forums.

They give random "performance" numbers without actually explaining them, and recommend the GTX 770 over the R9 280X based on performance, which is absolutely ridiculous. They perform about the same with the exception of the 770's lead in Nvidia-optimized games, and that's without considering the price rift between the two. GPUBoss also gives GK104 the same score as Tahiti XT in compute performance...need I say more?

Seriously. GPUBoss and CPUBoss are about as low as you can go. At least hwcompare actually takes texel and pixel rates, which can [sometimes] be a somewhat reliable indicator of performance. 

I like looking at actual game FPS benchmarks myself since that's what GTX and Radeon cards are primarily used for.

i wouldnt use cpuboss or gpuboss. i would ask people on here for help like that

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

• 1 year later...

fairly reliable, sometimes they aren't but usually they are. I have noticed gpu boss tends to favor nvidia and cpu boss tends to favor Intel. Not always though. Does that help?

Yes, a lot of times when I compare an AMD processor with one from Intel, Intel usually wins.

Alot of Iluminati Theories around here. The Boss Sides just give you a rough view on the Hardware.

Yes, a lot of times when I compare an AMD processor with one from Intel, Intel usually wins.

Which is usual true.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

GPUBOSS AND CPUBOSS COMPARE SPECS!!!!....NOT PERFORMANCE!!

ANYONE WHO DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THAT SHOULD BE SHOT

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile