What's better between ALC887 and ALC892 ?

Hello everyone !
I was comparing two H97 mb then I realized that I didn't know the difference between Realtek's ALC887 and ALC892. Wich one is "better" ?

Looking at the specs. both seem to be pretty much the same thing, the ALC 892  has some extra features, but the best way to know would be comparing both side by side. What motherboards are they? not only the codec makes a difference in sound.

Here are the specsheets:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/ALC887.pdf

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/ALC892-CG_DataSheet_1.3.pdf

The MSI H97 Guard-Pro and the Asus H97-Plus. Thanks for the specsheets ;)

The MSI H97 Guard-Pro and the Asus H97-Plus. Thanks for the specsheets ;)

Personally I would probably go Asus for fan xpert but that MSI one looks much cooler. 

Edit: Grammar. I fail at interneting. 

ALC 892 means 8 channels (7.1) at 92Khz maximum. and other one is a sightly lesser model. i would not care about that at all. both perform the same.

• 3 months later...

Hey, what motherboard did you end up going with, and what CPU did you choose with it?

I think the MSI one looks really cool.

Do you have a pcpartpicker of the specs you went with? I'd like to see them, i'm trying to build a new pc as well :P

Please reply (:

Hey, what motherboard did you end up going with, and what CPU did you choose with it?

I think the MSI one looks really cool.

Do you have a pcpartpicker of the specs you went with? I'd like to see them, i'm trying to build a new pc as well :P

Please reply (:

Are you saying i'm annoying lol? I just searched alc 892 vs alc 887 and found this thread lol. O.o

Your OP wasn't even related to audio though. There are plenty of build logs and other things in other forum subsections.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Bro stop complaining and shut up lmao. Am i hurting you? If no then don't worry about it.

ALC 892 means 8 channels (7.1) at 92Khz maximum. and other one is a sightly lesser model. i would not care about that at all. both perform the same.

Both support upto 192kHz sample rates.

What is most visible is that the ALC892 is a 10 (8+2) channel device, whilst the ALC887 is an  8 channel device.

What is more important for most people though is that the 892 supports Content Protection. This allows it to process audio at full quality. Without it, content-protected material (like many BDs and DVD-As) will play at CD or DVD audio quality.

Hello everyone !

I was comparing two H97 mb then I realized that I didn't know the difference between Realtek's ALC887 and ALC892. Wich one is "better" ?

Though I prefer Asus as a brand, the ALC892 codec is better. It can allow you to playback protected high definition audio in full resolution.

For game audio and other non-protected content, it should be about the same. The implementation will be the largest determining factor in such applications.