Adobe Lightroom Workflow Help

Go to solution Solved by Silvercall,

Hi, I've been using Lightroom for many years. I have a catalogue for each year. My folder structure is as follows:

Year>event name

If I have two of the same event name I usually add a date to the end: Event11jan; Event26may.

For individual files it's the event name with a date: Event01ja1401; Event01ja02;

I've been using this system since 2007 and it's been working for me.

To all the Lightroom users out there,

I am in a bit of a stopping point here as I have been using Lightroom for a year now however I have run into one big issue:

I am unable to find folder structure that will help keep my photo organised.  Most people use the "Year -> Month -> Date" folder structure.  After listening to a lecture by Tim Grey though I have found that a "Year -> Event" folder structure is quite a good idea as it avoids having to sift through folders to find a specific point in time in which my photos are store and also avoid having empty folders if for example there are not photos for the month of June (I hate empty folders on my PC). My only issue is what if I have the same even more than once (an example might be a tri to Spain twice in one year).  Would I then have to have a "Spain 01" and a "Spain 02" to avoid confusion?

I was wondering if any of the avid Lightroom users could maybe share their workflows so I can have a broader picture or get ideas which I could implement into my own workflow since the biggest hindrance I have found in using Lightroom is having to maintain an organised and cohesive folder structure from the onset of creating my Library.

hanks in advance to the LTT community.

Hi, I've been using Lightroom for many years. I have a catalogue for each year. My folder structure is as follows:

Year>event name

If I have two of the same event name I usually add a date to the end: Event11jan; Event26may.

For individual files it's the event name with a date: Event01ja1401; Event01ja02;

I've been using this system since 2007 and it's been working for me.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

Thanks a lot for the input.  Adding dates to events actually make a huge amount of sense.  I'll probably be doing that from now on.

Would you by any chance also know how to import additional photos to an already existing Lightroom folder and have them carry on with the naming sequence?

@LlamaDom I'm sure there is a way, but I can't say for sure. Maybe when you import, at the top there is an "add" tab. There may be options there. If you are actually going to move the files, you could export them to the folder, and rename them in the process. You could also pick the file number.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers