Intel/AMD Pros and Cons

I''l be honest, I know nothing about AMD processors. So I wanted to start a thread for an UNBIASED, comparison between say a 3570k or 3770k and whatever their AMD equivalents are.Please, no warfare!

intel has better performance per core(9 times out of 10 is better for gaming)

amd has more cores vs price, up to 8 cores (not as good in most games)

if you are video capturing without a card the exra cores will improve framerates

intel, for the most part, is more suited for gamers, but if are using multi-threaded apps and are able to leverage all 8 cores, amd is the best option for the price.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

there is no beating the price to performance ratio on the AMD processors(current flagship the fx8350) !!! god alone knows how they keep their company running by pricing their processors so low!! for the money the 8350 is awesome

but if you have enough resources then definitely get the 3770k ....it will stomp all over the 8350 in gaming and also in heavily threaded applications !!

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

It's hard to compare both, AMD has 8 cores but they are not full fledged cores like Intel, they're 4 modules with 2 cores in each modules sharing the same 2mb cache per modules.

Hyperthreading already does a really good job for multi-threaded applications.

For exemple the i7 3770k has 4 cores at 3.5Ghz but will perform almost identically to the FX-8350 which has 8 cores at 4.0Ghz.

This is an interesting post explaining why higher frequency doesn't mean better performance; http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/...1002#post41002

Where AMD get more interesting is when you look at their motherboard prices, it's definitely cheaper than Intel based motherboard. AMD is also a very interesting solution for people on older platform, their backward compatibility is unique and very appealing. An affordable solution for multi-threaded applications, offering very good performance for the price.

If you want some AMD badassness, you want to look at their GPU.

i really wanna see AMD increase there single core performance. Thats all they need to do to compete with intel. But even then ppl will not trust AMD they will find some other problem

In short:

AMD

- Cheaper

- More cores for cheaper

- Cheaper

Intel

- Better performance per core (better for applications that don't utilize more than 4 cores)

- Runs cooler

- Draws less power under load than AMD chips

That's not to say the only reason to get AMD is because it's cheaper.

The FX 8350 is going to perform better in highly threaded applications than the 3570K, for example.

But the 3770K will perform better still, let alone the 3970X or Xeon processors.

Also, another thing that is different between AMD and Intel is that, Intel incorporates a iGPU in all their CPUs(well, the most recent generations) while AMD has two different line of CPUs, the APUs(which do have a iGPU) and the FX line that is just a pure CPU.

Also, another thing that is different between AMD and Intel is that, Intel incorporates a iGPU in all their CPUs(well, the most recent generations) while AMD has two different line of CPUs, the APUs(which do have a iGPU) and the FX line that is just a pure CPU.

Good point, AMD's APUs offer much better gaming performances than Intel's IGP.

If you can afford an Intel Chip and you need the performance of sed chip, then get it. If not then get what you can afford. AMD chips are priced quite well, but there isn't much point in buying a Intel Chip for gaming if its less than an i5 / i7 imo.

How many people game on integrated graphics (I do hope its not many). Intels plans for Haswell is to up the game on integrated graphics (again) which will make the AMD's APU's not stand out from intels integrated graphics at all. Also the Intel-Nvidia merger would kill off the AMD APU side of things if that happens.

Maybe ARM even do there not X86, maybe they could challenge Intel all be it on a completely different style of things.

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

IF all your doing is gaming, go with whatever is in your budget, the AMD chips perform very will in all games, but are cheaper then the intel offerings, while the intel ones perform better but are more expensive, in most games the questions is do i want 150FPS or 160FPS? This is basically how it is with all of them, with games like battlefield 3 is is the choice between 50 and 60 fps. if you feel that is worth it go intel, if not go AMD.

But this is only if you are building just for gaming.

P:S: also there are some games that perform better on the AMD side also.

This is irrelevant, we're talking about Pros and Cons about products actually available to the public. Intel and Nvidia merging is still a rumor.

yea so AMD chips are made for a budget builders and still work very well, but, as i can see fx-8150 and i5 2500k price are still in a close range. As for intel, they're making a very good quality processors for a high price which can't be done by any budget gamers..

Amd wins at multitasking, while intel have a better performance in gaming (some game has higher fps with amd though)

there is no beating the price to performance ratio on the AMD processors(current flagship the fx8350) !!! god alone knows how they keep their company running by pricing their processors so low!! for the money the 8350 is awesome

but if you have enough resources then definitely get the 3770k ....it will stomp all over the 8350 in gaming and also in heavily threaded applications !!

they get most of the profit from the GPUs

I think AMD is good for people that are getting into PC gaming because it is cheaper. If you have the money I would recommend Intel for gaming because of the better per core performance.

To every one that says Intel beats AMD check this out. http://youtu.be/eu8Sekdb-IE AMD will outperform Intel under editing and capture/streaming. not being a fan boy' date=' just facts[/quote']

You can't just take 1 benchmark ( or 1 video ) as factual proof. There are way more benchmarks and reviews which suggest otherwise.

INTEL:

Higher Performance/core

Lower Heat output

Lower Power draw

Overclocks very well

Hyperthreading

CONS:

Change socket very often ( more so than AMD )

Expensive

AMD:

Cheaper

Socket change less often ( motherboard can be re-used)

More cores ( kind of )

Offers better Price / performance

CONS:

Lower Performance

Higher heat

Higher power draw

Doesn't OC aswell as Intel.

Sorry, but I would have to disagree right here. Both CPUs can overclock well and both get a performance increase. I've never had a problem overclocking either brand, the only problem with AMD, is like you said, higher heat and power draw.

Sorry' date=' but I would have to disagree right here. Both CPUs can overclock well and both get a performance increase. I've never had a problem overclocking either brand, the only problem with AMD, is like you said, higher heat and power draw.[/quote']

That's what i mean. They overclock similarly, however AMD runs alot hotter given the voltage, therefore their OC 'potential' ( if you want to call it that ) is limited, in my opinion.