[Rumour] Windows 9 revamped activation system (DRM)

qwertywarrior

Well it's been "forever" that Microsoft has been talking about making Windows more cloud... I think back in Vista days, if I am not mistaken.

Windows 9 will be more cloud based, and the new activation system is showing this (as you can manage your activations with your systems), and I expect a few more things. Maybe more sync features like program settings sync is a possibility.

Not to mention the move of Office into the cloud, and their pushing of Microsoft Azure on other fronts.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

I disagree: messing with the boot process is far too complicated even for power users. But let's leave it at that.

I agree with the fact that we shouldn't be messing with the boot process, but what I was trying to get at was that it can be done. 

For now it seems that Secure Boot does create a discrepancy in alienating *nix users, as it requires a secret private key.

There have been talks about a new firmware tool that can automatically update the certificates on UEFI during the install process, the only caveat is that it only works with up to date UEFI implementations, meaning that in reality the whole key issue should be non apparent in 2 or so years, as some manufactures, mostly mobile, currently have a half baked UEFI solution that cuts corners or deviate from standards. Im going to call out HP in specific for only allowing certain signed .EFI files to boot up properly, and not providing shell access.

Once all the kinks are ironed out, UEFI Secure boot should be just as easy as to install other OSs. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

It was implemented and ready for consumer release, but following a public backlash after the e3 reveal Microsoft was forced to remove it.

...therefore, it was never implemented.

Windows 7 works just fine for me! :P

Yea, for now. In 7 months they will cut back some support, then maybe another 6 months and they cut back some more. Windows 7 is awesome compared to 8 8.1 or any prior version. I'd much rather run linux but I cant because of gaming. Once steam OS takes off I'll be soo happy. 

It'll basically be like Steam, I guess.

Hmm not exactly, Steam itself is freeware so you can install on unlimited number of PCs. The activation via email is just to prevent your account from being hijacked.

With Windows of course you are buying a software license so it's illegal to install on multiple PCs. I guess what would happen is that the first PC would have to connect to the Internet and and get disabled in some way.

Personally I own a windows 7 license, and so far the phone activation process has worked well for me. If this works as smoothly i'm ok with it.

Yea, for now. In 7 months they will cut back some support, then maybe another 6 months and they cut back some more. Windows 7 is awesome compared to 8 8.1 or any prior version. I'd much rather run linux but I cant because of gaming. Once steam OS takes off I'll be soo happy. 

In 7 months, there will be no more performance or feature improvements. There's not much more they can get out of the 5 year old OS in terms of performance anyway... And it's not another 6 months that they cut back, it's 5 more years. W7 will have had security updates for 10 years by the time support is ended, and it's likely that they will extend the extended support (security) beyond that, like they did with IE.

HTTP/2 203

Let's see how many weeks it'll take for hackers to bypass it if this is true.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Woot! Woot! Woot! Woot! That is a great idea, makes sense, and at the moment I can't think of ways for people to bypass it.

Nice Job Microsoft, get the money that you deserve.

Pirates always find a way. ALWAYS

My personal rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/139780-zalman-my-first-build/

I use it partially as a Hackintosh. Don't judge me.

No matter. Arch Linux is my daily driver from now on anyway. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Pirates will crack it easily. Look at everything else that involves drm, did it work? No? Okay...

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

So far, it has not been a problem with Windows current activation, nor OneDrive, nor XBox Music, nor Office 365.

Just saying.

Yes, but that's just for activation and you never need the server after that again (last microsoft stuff is an exeption) . But you need an account now to link the license as far as i can understand, and if you need to change something and the servers are down, you have a problem. Also don't forget windows 9 stops working after 6 months (i think) if you don't connect to the server. And i won't be suprised if that period gets shorter with windows 9. 

Also what about hackers? There are a lot of people that probably hate microsoft for this and now they have a "weak" spot (the account server) it will probably get attacked a lot, at least that's what i'm expecting.

And don't forget that hackers can screw up your account! No account system is hack-proof, there is always some way to hack accounts. If you think that's not true, tell me 1 service where no account ever got hacked.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Yes, but that's just for activation and you never need the server after that again (last microsoft stuff is an exeption) . But you need an account now to link the license as far as i can understand, and if you need to change something and the servers are down, you have a problem. Also don't forget windows 9 stops working after 6 months (i think) if you don't connect to the server. And i won't be suprised if that period gets shorter with windows 9. 

Also what about hackers? There are a lot of people that probably hate microsoft for this and now they have a "weak" spot (the account server) it will probably get attacked a lot, at least that's what i'm expecting.

And don't forget that hackers can screw up your account! No account system is hack-proof, there is always some way to hack accounts. If you think that's not true, tell me 1 service where no account ever got hacked.

True. But Windows activation where not compromised yet. Hackers could have done a massive DDOS on activation server for a few weeks, possibly a month, and no one could activate Windows.

The thing also, is that we don't know know ANY details, assuming the rumor is true and not that the rumor comes from a "let's look into it if that's possible, and start doing R&D and see what is the conclusion", which doesn't say if really it iwll be implement, and depending on the conclusion, might be never. So assume all that is coming to Win9,  maybe Windows 9 can run non-activated for 30 days, or 90 days. If it's 90 days, I don't think you'll have a much of a problem. It would be really hard to block a server for 90 days, of the size of Microsoft.

In addition, Microsoft has multiple massive (like I really mean several Costco size/football/soccer size) data centers, to manage all this, and I am sure, they can even have a plan (assuming that it's not already set that way) that if a center is full to capacity, it spills on another one, and if all are full, then it go to Azure and Microsoft services. In other words, I think even if every computer at Microsoft, DDOS their own server, they wont' be able to cause a down time... might be slower, but not down. Similarly to Google.

True. But Windows activation where not compromised yet. 

If you are saying that Windows Activation has not been compromised yet, you would be wrong. It has, as a matter of fact there is a giant document that gets updated at least weekly with new keys, kms server, etc. on pastebin.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Well looks like I won't be upgrading to Windows 9 then.

I am against machine specific discs and mandatory online accounts. It just makes reinstalling and managing multiple computers far more complicated.

Maybe I'll get it if someone manages to crack it so that I don't have to deal with Microsoft's bullshit.

In before "derp you just want to pirate it!".

I got a DreamSpark Premium account...

Microsoft's new system seems really similar to Adobe's approach with the Creative Cloud thing.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Woot! Woot! Woot! Woot! That is a great idea, makes sense, and at the moment I can't think of ways for people to bypass it.

Nice Job Microsoft, get the money that you deserve.

Your joking right? More DRM is always bad and EXTREMELY easy to bypass, especially the code system they plan to use. But the good thing is you don't need an account to have a working OS.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

After reading the article the DRM will (as long as the article stays true) be annoying but not account related.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I don't really see a big problem with it. Makes it easier to change OS to a different computer(in theory). However, a little skeptical about my OS being controlled through a market place because lord knows what kind of things can happen to Microsofts marketplace.

Its silly in these days no one challenges microsoft.They have the monopoly for way too long they arent even inovating anymore only doing 1 step forward 2 steps back.

Its hardware manufacturers fault why the fuck they dont make drivers for linux...and even if other os would appear they wouldnt care thats not fair from them.

It's interesting to read some of the comments here, some people just hate it because they hate DRM and it gets in the way of easy free stuff, while others have taken the time to consider the advantages and disadvantages of this.

I am all for companies protecting their income revenue, but to make people sign up to a store account might be too far.  I mean accounts are good because once setup it enables faster transaction and product flow, easier client management and less mistakes all round,  but it also gives a companies who's primary drive is $$$ your email and a whole heap of product info.

I wouldn't be too concerned with server downtime, MS have quite a good reputation for managing their servers.  online tools are always on. 

And the thought of not having to sit on the phone with that 48 character machine key every time I have to re-install sounds amazing.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It's interesting to read some of the comments here, some people just hate it because they hate DRM and it gets in the way of easy free stuff, while others have taken the time to consider the advantages and disadvantages of this.

I am all for companies protecting their income revenue, but to make people sign up to a store account might be too far.  I mean accounts are good because once setup it enables faster transaction and product flow, easier client management and less mistakes all round,  but it also gives a companies who's primary drive is $$$ your email and a whole heap of product info.

I wouldn't be too concerned with server downtime, MS have quite a good reputation for managing their servers.  online tools are always on. 

And the thought of not having to sit on the phone with that 48 character machine key every time I have to re-install sounds amazing.

Yup. That is why in Windows 8 I use a separate account. I don't use my e-mail, chat, or anything. It's just, and exclusively for Windows ecosystem. No one knows about it, as I don't use it outside. I would suggest people to do the same with Windows 9 or 8, if you have 8 now. Of course, have a very strong password.

Am I the only one that's ok with this? I mean, pirating is bad and as long as this doesn't turn out to be flawed, it sounds good to me.

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Am I the only one that's ok with this? I mean, pirating is bad and as long as this doesn't turn out to be flawed, it sounds good to me.

If none of the aspects of what seems to be proposed are an issue then it should be O.K with you.  I personally am looking forward to online activation management, for me time is precious and I don't want to waste it fixing failed activation processes.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.