[Rumour] Windows 9 revamped activation system (DRM)

qwertywarrior

If I understand it correctly, this is not the same as the current way of authenticating your Windows install using your motherboard.

This method will look up some unique info in the motherboard and use that to validate that it is installed on the correct computer. The validation process using the motherboard that for example Windows 7 uses works by having the OS look in the BIOS after a valid CD key/cert.

The old one just looks at your motherboard and says "yes, this is a computer from brand X and it is therefore a legit volume key".

This new method works by going "okay person X is only allowed to install Windows on # number of computers. Let's gather unique info about each machine this person has Windows installed on using some unique info in the BIOS. Alright we found less than # number of unique machines so we won't disable his Windows key".

It might sound the same, but it's not.

There will probably be a trial period as well, so you will have time to go get your network drivers before you need to activate Windows.

Another big issue with this is that your Windows key might get deactivated if you update your BIOS, even if you got a legit CD key.

Machine specific disks and mandatory Microsoft accounts. That's how this is worse.

Interesting point, but you could just make some generic account for the activation, and keep it only for the activation.

I, like MixedCore, am also invested in the Microsoft ecosystem. I have OneCloud, and my files between my mobile device and desktop are in sync, I have XBox Music subscription, and I use Window 8 Apps.

Looks like I'll be keeping 7.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I already dont like the fact that i need a microsoft account for VS2013, why the hell do i need all these accounts for crap i dont want. Same with Microsoft Office, im staying on 2007 until they come up with a non-shitty version of it. Hell id prob be on 2003 if it wasnt for the fact the support for the new file types isnt great.

I can see no reason for this at all other than making an extra step in a paying customers verification process. There are other ways they could have changed their SN verification process behind the scenes that would have made priating harder, and not affected customers.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

What, so I'll be forced to download it online? What about people with a terrible internet connection? I don't want to be spending my whole day downloading an OS.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Woot! Woot! Woot! Woot! That is a great idea, makes sense, and at the moment I can't think of ways for people to bypass it.

Nice Job Microsoft, get the money that you deserve.

The same way people bypass Steam DRM, Uplay DRM and every other DRM out there except for Diablo 3 which constantly sends you unique game info that you need to play. And something like Diablo's DRM would not be applicable to Windows because it would impair responsiveness and many other things.

What, so I'll be forced to download it online? What about people with a terrible internet connection? I don't want to be spending my whole day downloading an OS.

You are definitly going to have a disc version. We are looking at incomplete and translated rumor.

So if I upgrade my machine Windows won't work. GG M$.

And I'm sure this won't be cracked. We all know nothing ever gets cracked if there is online DRM involved... right...

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I'm willing to bet it's pirated within 24 hours of release. If not then I think the majority of people are happy to just keep Windows 7 or 8.

Microsoft, finding ways to punish legit users, just like always.

Give it less than a day and I'm 99% sure the DRM would've been cracked.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

Interesting point, but you could just make some generic account for the activation, and keep it only for the activation.

I, like MixedCore, am also invested in the Microsoft ecosystem. I have OneCloud, and my files between my mobile device and desktop are in sync, I have XBox Music subscription, and I use Window 8 Apps.

How is this respond relevant to that post?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

1. This will make Linux big? LOLWAT? 

Oh god, you fanboys will try and make anything a thing. Linux will never get big. They are barely bigger than OSX (which is infinitely more popular to the average consumer than Linux) and you clowns think this will make Linux big? 

I guess if cracking 2% marketshare is "big". 

2. This is a big deal for who? I'll still have a disc on hand. It'll be tied to my MS account so I can redownload images directly from them. Seems like a smarter way to handle activations (since when have you not needed to ping the internet to validate your activation?) 

The only people that are crying are the cheap ones who will have to wait till this form of DRM gets cracked before they can download the OS for free. EVeryone else will say "meh" and move on.  This is literally a one and done DRM system, from the looks of it. Activate and its gone. So whats the  uproar again? 

Does Windows yell at you on a daily basis right now? No. So why would that change? 

How is this respond relevant to that post?

Because in theory everything will be tied together on one ecosystem.

Like after you activate your windows install it sees you own Office and prompts you to install that, auto setting up your cloud info so its ready for use. Microsofts big thing now is to try to get a unified system, but there is a difference between unified system and integrated system that i dont think they are paying attention to.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Phones:

this will be a complete disaster! If the server is down for some reason (i expect a lot of DDOS) and you want to switch, it won't work.

This is just asking for problems, i will really rofl when the legal guys have a lot of trouble and the pirate ones are like:" F you everyone" and have no issues at all.

Just look at windows 8, even now people have issues to upgrade to 8.1 or don't give a damn, and probably don't know they will get a lot of problems when the support stops.

AMD drivers don't understand w8 anymore, and that's just the beginning, they do support 8.1 FYI

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Because in theory everything will be tied together on one ecosystem.

Like after you activate your windows install it sees you own Office and prompts you to install that, auto setting up your cloud info so its ready for use. Microsofts big thing now is to try to get a unified system, but there is a difference between unified system and integrated system that i dont think they are paying attention to.

Am I missing something? @LAwLz post was about how this authentication method is different than the old one. @GoodBytes respond on the other hand was about how you can just create a dummy account. How is that relevant?

So if I upgrade my machine Windows won't work. GG M$.

And I'm sure this won't be cracked. We all know nothing ever gets cracked if there is online DRM involved... right...

No. This is how it is NOW. Where you need to do a phone activation and cross your fingers.

Now, you go online you desctivate the license of Windows with your system, and you can add your new computer.

Am I missing something? @LAwLz post was about how this authentication method is different than the old one. @GoodBytes respond on the other hand was about how you can just create a dummy account. How is that relevant?

In reference to already having bought into the ecosystem. For some people they are already heavily invested into the microsoft cloud services so its less of a sticking point for them.

Primary:

HTPC:

NAS:

Phones:

this will be a complete disaster! If the server is down for some reason (i expect a lot of DDOS) and you want to switch, it won't work.

This is just asking for problems, i will really rofl when the legal guys have a lot of trouble and the pirate ones are like:" F you everyone" and have no issues at all.

Just look at windows 8, even now people have issues to upgrade to 8.1 or don't give a damn, and probably don't know they will get a lot of problems when the support stops.

AMD drivers don't understand w8 anymore, and that's just the beginning, they do support 8.1 FYI

So far, it has not been a problem with Windows current activation, nor OneDrive, nor XBox Music, nor Office 365.

Just saying.

No. This is how it is NOW. Where you need to do a phone activation and cross your fingers.

Now, you go online you desctivate the license of Windows with your system, and you can add your new computer.

So the iTunes thing.

That actually sounds worth it. If I can just not have to get new licenses for new machines, I could genuinely save hundreds of dollars.

It seems pretty sweet.

does anyone pay attention to the [RUMOR] part these days

Anyways, it sounds good for those who are already invested in Microsoft's services like OneDrive, Xbox Music, etc.

I'd much rather have a button to deactivate rather than having to call a machine and sit through that

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

I've just realised, does this mean that they are cutting out the reasonably priced 3rd party retailers and the key resellers? Windows is easily worth it for $20 or so, but some of the official priced are stupid, and if this prevents that (I don't know if it will) then There's no way I'm buying it for their prices.

HTTP/2 203

I've just realised, does this mean that they are cutting out the reasonably priced 3rd party retailers and the key resellers? Windows is easily worth it for $20 or so, but some of the official priced are stupid, and if this prevents that (I don't know if it will) then There's no way I'm buying it for their prices.

Why would it? It will be exactly like now (assuming the rumor are true), just that instead of punching the windows key, you enter your Microsoft account (which you have already if you are under Windows 8, or have a hotmail/onedrive/XBox Music/xbox/live/outlook/msdn/technet/etc account), and voila. If you change your system, just go on the page, deactivate, and activate the new one.

Why would it? It will be exactly like now (assuming the rumor are true), just that instead of punching the windows key, you enter your Microsoft account (which you have already if you are under Windows 8, or have a hotmail/onedrive/XBox Music/xbox/live/outlook/msdn/technet/etc account), and voila. If you change your system, just go on the page, deactivate, and activate the new one.

But would MS let key resellers (such as amazon, G2A, those people on Reddit) tie Windows to accounts? If I were Microsoft, I would be looking at maximising profits by cutting out the middle man, although it wouldn't be a good idea IMO.

HTTP/2 203

Way to shoot yourself in the foot, microsoft. Goddamn, i thought valve was overreacting to drastic changes in windows 8 but clearly the worst was yet to come.

All aboard the linux train!

networknuts-linux-fun.png

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.