16.7 million colors vs 1.07 billion colors

teddyteddyteddy

Is there a noticeable difference between monitors with 16.7 million and 1.07 billion colors?

XEON E3 1231v3 | GA-Z97MX GAMING 5 | XFX R9 290 | 16GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX100 256GB | WD BLUE 1TB | EVGA SUPERNOVA 850W | CORSAIR 350D

Yes duhh

CPU: AMD 5790t Motherboard: Gigabyte Forumlar XII RAM: Ah Whole set of it GPU: GTX 290x Ti Storage: Ah Ton of HDD PSU: Once it on Display(s): Well I still seeing pixels Cooling: It running COOL BRO Keyboard: *click* *click* Mouse: MORE *click* Sound: OHH DE BASEE

only usefull for graphics designers and such, as it smoothens up the gradients when you work.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

well it has 1053300000 more colors

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

1.07 billion colors!? I need this! Link and I would love you!

Here's some on newegg..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007617%20600012201&IsNodeId=1&name=1.07%20Billion.

I was thinking about getting a korean 1440p monitor on ebay (achieva Shimian)

XEON E3 1231v3 | GA-Z97MX GAMING 5 | XFX R9 290 | 16GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX100 256GB | WD BLUE 1TB | EVGA SUPERNOVA 850W | CORSAIR 350D

Is 16.7 million colors still really good though? 

Just get a decent brand IPS monitor and you'll be good 

Aw hell no! Now as I know about this (yes, I am ashamed of not knowing it before now) I will get one with 1.07. "I ain't gonn deal with that peasant shit no more!". My one complaint about monitors is that the color spectrum is too low, I get a hell a lot of gradients! Now I can finally enjoy my movies/gaming in the best quality my GPU can drive.

Just get a decent brand IPS monitor and you'll be good

Do you think the Dell S2340M is good?

1.07 billion?

What monitors are you looking at?

1.07 billion colors!? I need this! Link and I would love you!

Look at any 10-bit panel. Note that to take advantage of it, your graphics card also needs to support ten bit colour. This means a workstation grade card, which is pointless for gaming.

1.07 billion color monitors are for professional grade video/photo editing, this is to justify their 400$+ dollar for even a cheap korean brand

@teddyteddyteddy: yes, but if you don't like glossy screen, go for U2414H

My current rig for entertainment/gaming: i5 4570 3,2GHz; MSI B85M-E45; ZOTAC GTX760 AMP!; 8GB (2x4GB) by Kingston; Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm; Corsair 200R, Corsair VS650; Dell U2312HM, Samsung DVD R/W optical drive; CM Devastator; Corsair MM400 gaming pad

They are no difference for you and me with a 1.07 billion supported colors monitor (or 10-bit panel), but there is one, and is visible.

Let me explain, the contradiction above:

To enjoy 10-bit colors your need:

-> Select Nvidia Quadro or AMD FirePro graphics card.

-> Supported software ('cause all software are designed for 8-bit (16.7 million colors) monitors)

-> And, content. For example, RAW pictures from a digital camera.

However, despite not taking advantage of 10-bit colors, you will you get better colors. Why?

10-bit consumer grade monitors are true 8-bit panels at worst. While normal 16.7 million colors monitors (that's 8-bit colors per channel (red, green and blue)), are most of the time not true 8-bit panel, but rather 6-bit panels, and uses emulation trick to simulate (well trick your eyes, really), in display more colors. The way it works, is when the monitor receives a color it can't produce natively, it uses an algorithm to find 2 colors it can produce, that it knows that when it switches between them back and forth at a rapid rate, you will see the 'correct color'. It's a trick. If you have a very old LCD TN panel, or from a old laptop, you can see sometimes in action, due to the slow response time that the monitor have. If you show some colors, and tilt the screen at the extreme in the upward direction (or downwards depending on how you hold it, and view things), you will see the color flicker. On my old laptop, I could see it on the Firefox tab, but that was before the redesign, Windows 7 control panel side bar, and other areas here and there under Windows 7 (system is from 2008).

In addition, you have a color processor which will allow you to get better results in color reproduction based on monitor settings, and you have more options on the monitor, for color adjustment. You don't have just "red green and blue" adjust, you can have (depending on the monitor): Hue, Saturation, Offset, and Gain control for Red Green and Blue, and some of them even have Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow for fine tuning, to really properly adjust the monitor colors.

So, to answer your question: Yes. But not because it can produce 1.07 billion colors, but rather because: you have a color processor, Look Up Table, and a true 8-bit panel.

The U2414H uses a 6-bit panel. True 8-bit panels cost more.

The U2713HM, U2713H, U2413, and Dell's 4K 60Hz 24inch UP2414Q, are examples of true 8-bit panels.

They are no difference for you and me with a 1.07 billion supported colors monitor (or 10-bit panel), but there is one, and is visible.

Let me explain, the contradiction above:

To enjoy 10-bit colors your need:

-> Select Nvidia Quadro or AMD FirePro graphics card.

-> Supported software ('cause all software are designed for 8-bit (16.7 million colors) monitors)

-> And, content. For example, RAW pictures from a digital camera.

However, despite not taking advantage of 10-bit colors, you will you get better colors. Why?

10-bit consumer grade monitors are true 8-bit panels at worst. While normal 16.7 million colors monitors (that's 8-bit colors per channel (red, green and blue)), are most of the time not true 8-bit panel, but rather 6-bit panels, and uses emulation trick to simulate (well trick your eyes, really), in display more colors. The way it works, is when the monitor receives a color it can't produce natively, it uses an algorithm to find 2 colors it can produce, that it knows that when it switches between them back and forth at a rapid rate, you will see the 'correct color'. It's a trick. If you have a very old LCD TN panel, or from a old laptop, you can see sometimes in action, due to the slow response time that the monitor have. If you show some colors, and tilt the screen at the extreme in the upward direction (or downwards depending on how you hold it, and view things), you will see the color flicker. On my old laptop, I could see it on the Firefox tab, but that was before the redesign, Windows 7 control panel side bar, and other areas here and there under Windows 7 (system is from 2008).

In addition, you have a color processor which will allow you to get better results in color reproduction based on monitor settings, and you have more options on the monitor, for color adjustment. You don't have just "red green and blue" adjust, you can have (depending on the monitor): Hue, Saturation, Offset, and Gain control for Red Green and Blue, and some of them even have Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow for fine tuning, to really properly adjust the monitor colors.

So, to answer your question: Yes. But not because it can produce 1.07 billion colors, but rather because: you have a color processor, Look Up Table, and a true 8-bit panel.

The U2414H uses a 6-bit panel. True 8-bit panels cost more.

The U2713HM, U2713H, U2413, and Dell's 4K 60Hz 4K 24inch UP2414Q, are examples of true 8-bit panels.

Okay, thanks for explaining that

• 3 years later...
On 7/7/2014 at 3:15 PM, PokémonTrainerFour said:

1.07 billion?

What monitors are you looking at?

Um...Have you looked at Mitsubishi DLP's?  I got a 2007 model off of Craigslist and it is a native 1080P DMD light engine with 24hz at 1 billion colors with a 6 primary color wheel.  The TV was originally retailed ten years ago at $5,000.  I got it for $200.

YouCut_20180408_030317021.mp4

Just now, pikespeak32 said:

Um...Have you looked at Mitsubishi DLP's?  I got a 2007 model off of Craigslist and it is a native 1080P DMD light engine with 24hz at 1 billion colors with a 6 primary color wheel.  The TV was originally retailed ten years ago at $5,000.  I got it for $200.

YouCut_20180408_030317021.mp4

Side note:. The DMD chip is a 120hz rated chip, but I run it in film mode at 24 Hz... the definition and billion colors and ultraviolet lamp give it preternatural quality as it is a glorified movie projector?