My steam games won't work

Kevinkt
Go to solution Solved by Kevinkt,

Ok. I know im a little late on this but after i did some more looking into it. It looks like MSI Afterburner crashes dx9 games. So just updating this just incase other people find this in the seach.

TURN OFF MSI AFTERBURNER! and your dx9 games will work again

DCjmqW4.png

Everytime I open a steam game I get this. I'm running windows 7, I've tryed reinstailing steam, Didn't do anything I have my onboard sound turned off since I have a sound card. I don't know what else I can try. My Origin games work just fine. My World of Warcraft works just fine. It's just in steam it won't play any of my games.

Nope, Didn't work

do all steam games crash or just some

this may not help. but update the video driver

do all steam games crash or just some

this may not help. but update the video driver

It's all steam games and my drivers are up to date

could you post some of your system specs

and when you disabled  your anti-virus to .run steam.. did you make sure you .set it, so it would not boot up at start up..

then reboot. without the anti-virus running. then start a game

Amd 6670, AMD Athlon II x2 215, I can't remender the name of my soundcard. 500 GB harddrive and I'll be right back

That didn't work.

4gb, Sorry spaced out on that one

i read on one forum that some had the same thing going on. as you and had 4gb of memory and upgraded to 6 and no more crashes

also  check your DirectX

DirectX Diagnostic Tool by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, typing dxdiag in the search box, and then pressing Enter.

if you need. reinstall DirectX 

Alright running that now and DDR2 is insanely overpriced to upgrade to 6gb

No problem found. with directx tool

on my old system i run steam. with only 2gb on memory. but i only run left 4 dead 1 and 2 on them at 1080

try turning your system resolution down lower.. and try  and run the game at a lower resolution

just for a test.and see if they crash

Well I'm already running at 1680x1050 but ill give it a shot

\

Nope,. Did 1400x900 and 1280x720

i would try testing your memory

burn a hiren cd or make a usb boot drive.

boot to it and you can run memtest

it has other programs to test video and cpu

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

how to make a usb boot drive with hiren on it  http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk

does windows pop up any error codes. like atikmdag.sys type of error

try looking in the event veiwer

Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47., clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer

one thing i do . on my old system,that i run  steam.on  with only 2gb on memory

i run a 16gb USB stick, configured as a ReadyBoost

If it were me Id right click, Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache. Not sure what it does but it has fixed so many of my problems.

Failing that I would navigate to the install folder of one of the games and try running the .exe from there. If the game runs you can assume Steam is the problem. If it still doesn't run your problem is most likely somewhere else.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

If it were me Id right click, Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache. Not sure what it does but it has fixed so many of my problems.

Failing that I would navigate to the install folder of one of the games and try running the .exe from there. If the game runs you can assume Steam is the problem. If it still doesn't run your problem is most likely somewhere else.

That,

And try reinstalling steam to a different drive, and try redownloading 1 game and testing that. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

check the file integrity, make sure the game doesnt need compatability mode. if it does then you have to go into the steam folder and find the game exe and set it to xp sp2 compatibility. do not set steam to compatability mode just the games main exe. also check run as admin in the same tool drop down. this will elevate the games privs without elevating steam.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

ok try this..

try and Turn off advanced text services for this program" option in Windows compatibility dialog box for the "Fable.exe" file

all so check in the  Event Viewer for the System and see if anything is popping up

Yeah, Ive done but i just noticed steam lauching dx11 games just not dx9 So...Yeah.

did you try and Disable your sound card through the Windows Device Manager and try running the game

this is one of the things .steam. has you try