The 600D (T3i) just got RAW video

The canon T3i just got RAW video capability. This is a huge step over the lousy H264 recording. This is brand new to the T3i so everything is still up in the air at the moment. 

To get RAW download and install a version of Nightly Build on your SD card. Then replace the files from the nightly build with the Tragic Lantern files.

ML Nightly Builds

TL RAW Install Files 

(WARNING this is still an alpha and could harm or brick your camera. Please take great caution if you install it.) 

Just got the software on my camera and tested it out. Here is a clip of it. 

This looks really cool. I have a t3i, and Ill definitely look into it. Is the SD card speed limited by the camera or the card? I know you can get Sandisk SD cards with 90 MB/s reads and writes...

I believe it is limited by the camera. Even if you have a 90MB/s read and write card the camera will only be able to handle outputting 25ishMB/s I believe.

That's excellent, I just set up my T3i as a webcam, it's amazing all the funky things you can do with this camera.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

I know! This is one wicked little camera! A few days ago I heard about the 5D mkIII getting 1080P RAW and I was so bummed because I thought the T3i would never be able to handle RAW video. But a few days later and here we are! :)

Ok it looks like the camera can handle outputting 40-45MB/s but my card can only write 20MB/s. So if anyone has a faster card and a T3i that would like to test this out I would love to see the results!

What is the difference between raw and h264?

The best way to predict the future is to invent it

I can see the difference on the video but was the term even mean?

I can see the difference on the video but was the term even mean?

RAW basically means its not yet fully processed. You can still fine-tune things like colour grading and exposure afterwards.

Oh, ok. So you can use tools like adobe premiere pro and get better vid quality?

Oh, ok. So you can use tools like adobe premiere pro and get better vid quality?

"Better vid quality" in the sense that you can play around with exposure settings and whatnot.

With RAW you can change the look of the footage much more than something compressed like h264. It just gives you much more wiggle room to play with the footage. I was mainly interested in it because of the amount of dynamic range I could get with it. I absolutely hate when I expose for indoors and all the windows are blown out white.

The canon T3i just got RAW video capability. This is a huge step over the lousy H264 recording. This is brand new to the T3i so everything is still up in the air at the moment. 

To get RAW download and install a version of Nightly Build on your SD card. Then replace the files from the nightly build with the Tragic Lantern files.

ML Nightly Builds

TL RAW Install Files 

(WARNING this is still an alpha and could harm or brick your camera. Please take great caution if you install it.) 

Just got the software on my camera and tested it out. Here is a clip of it. 

Not sure whic files to take from the Tragic Lantern page, can you clarify?

Very excited to see what it can do :-)

Not sure whic files to take from the Tragic Lantern page, can you clarify?

Very excited to see what it can do :-)

Once you have the Magic Lantern Nightly build on the the SD card go to Tragic Lantern and download the newest RAW install. Most of them you see on that page are raw installs just updated versions. So the newest one is ([600D] New.zip) and its 287.9KB. Once that's downloaded open it and put/replace the autoexec.bin on the SD card. Then open up the ML folder on the SD card and put the MODULES and SCRIPTS in that folder. Last step is to get the right firmware so the camera can load it. you will need to download the stable release of Magic Lantern V2.3 and and grab the 600D-102.FIR and put it on the SD card. Installing it on the camera is just like doing it with the normal version of Magic Lantern. 

• 2 weeks later...

is this real raw or just with very low contrast?

is this real raw or just with very low contrast?

It's real unprocessed RAW video. I didn't do any color correction to the h264 video because I wanted to retain as much detail as possible.   

Hey! I have The 600D and i do all that things.. but The Raw video just doesn't works.  All The menu, and etc.. looks exactly BUT, there is no RAW Video Option, Since i installed the new Version, there is Some cool features added. But NOT Raw Video Option, just.. Information Moditification (kb) was 1.. to 20. that's a big jump. looking better, but dont know why Raw video isnt enabled =( Help.

Hey! I have The 600D and i do all that things.. but The Raw video just doesn't works.  All The menu, and etc.. looks exactly BUT, there is no RAW Video Option, Since i installed the new Version, there is Some cool features added. But NOT Raw Video Option, just.. Information Moditification (kb) was 1.. to 20. that's a big jump. looking better, but dont know why Raw video isnt enabled =( Help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb6z1M37LgM&feature=youtu.be

Go over to modules on the right hand side of the magic lantern, and click enable. I had the same problem that the raw video was not showing up, but it did when I did that. 

*mindblown* the 600D has served me so well over the past 2 years and it's amazing to see it gt new funtionality.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy