Games lagg after powerstrip turned off

Hey there,

First of all, I'm new to this forum, if there is anything I need to know about this forum please tell me I would like to know. : )

So, this is the problem I'm currently having.

Yesterday, my power strip switched off because something hit the switch on it. Since I had massive fps drops. For example: I usually had 200+ fps on CSGO, now after this occured I'm down at 30-30 fps with the same settings.

Everything else is working fine, it's just games that lagg. My OS hasn't slowed down neither has the boot time for my pc itself. It's just games that lagg right now.This pc is fairly new about a month old. 

Here are the specs:

Intel Core i5 4670k / 3,4GHz

MSI GTX 770 Gaming

Gigabyte z87-Hd3 ATX

Crucial m500 SSD 120GB

Corsair CX Series modual cx600m

Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB

If anyone knows solutions or answers to this problem, I would be very thankfull!

Thanks in advance,

Sybrand

Might have done some electrical damage from that happening. PSU could be screwed up.

Might have done some electrical damage from that happening. PSU could be screwed up.

This.

Alrigthy then. I was already afraid something might've happened to my hardware.

I was not running any games, just steam and skype by the time it happened. 

Is there anyway of finding out if my PSU is broken? 

Thanks for your help

Hey there,

I was just checked some other powerstrips who were maybe defect because of the incident yesterday aswell, replaced the power strip with a new one and it dind't fix it.

I guess what AlwaysFSX and Entropy said is the problem here. 

Though, I don't have any spare PSU's right now, so I'm not able to find out if mine really is broken, does anybody have tips for this?

Thanks in advance,

Sybrand

As for testing the PSU what you can do is try plugging it in to a spare computer.

If you don't have one well do you have a friend that would allow you to test your PSU.

If not your kinda boned sense the other way to test a PSU is with expensive special equipment.

Do you have a wireless router on that power strip? If you're running wifi and it got reset it may have switched to a channel with more interference. I honestly doubt a faulty PSU would give that kind of problem.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Do you have a wireless router on that power strip? If you're running wifi and it got reset it may have switched to a channel with more interference. I honestly doubt a faulty PSU would give that kind of problem

this is true, since when does a PSU limit how many FPS you get in game, it would cause a hard fault and do other things that are even more strange like random shutdowns, what could have been caused is simple when you just shut down a pc, it causes files in memory to not be saved. causing the running program issues. sooo a simple uninstall reinstall of the game in question could solve the issue, also running a defrag could clean up some of the issuse from files being seperated also running a 1 click cleanup program like Glary could solve alot of issues.

Trust me this has happened to me on more than one occasion! 

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

this is true, since when does a PSU limit how many FPS you get in game, it would cause a hard fault and do other things that are even more strange like random shutdowns, what could have been caused is simple when you just shut down a pc, it causes files in memory to not be saved. causing the running program issues. sooo a simple uninstall reinstall of the game in question could solve the issue, also running a defrag could clean up some of the issuse from files being seperated also running a 1 click cleanup program like Glary could solve alot of issues.

Trust me this has happened to me on more than one occasion! 

Actually, yes it can limit it. Heres how-

if the psu is unable to give high enough or stable enough power, you graphics card will likely be stuck on low power mode, it wont ramp up to full clock. Remember, some GPUs used to even run wihtout the power connected and would either not go from low power mode or would even game for a while until an eventual bluescreen using just the power provided over PCIe. If a power supply is giving a weak wattage, this can happen as well. 

So the power supply is worth checking, as well as the GPU. Swap the power supply. Test the gpu on a different tower or monitor the clock and usage using GPU-z. 

I've actuaolly blown a power supply partially like this before by kicking a cheap power strip in the switch by accident. I don't know how it works, but it must send brown power or something. Oddly enough it was also a corsair power supply. Melted the 12v pin. Luckily the components were fine. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch