Mechanical Vs Non-Mechanical

LapX
Mechanical keyboards is most of the time a personal preference, some people really cannot tell the difference since they have been using high quality membrane keyboards like the G Series ones from Logitech. But those using cheapo $10 keyboards can tell the difference almost immediately. I have been typing on a laptop keyboard for 5 years thanks to my dad convincing me to get a laptop (which I so dearly regret). When I went over to a friend's house and tried out his Ducky with Blue switches.... it felt my hands just had sex, in a good way of course. But the main thing I didn't like about the keyboard is the clicky noise. So I decided to save up and get myself a Logitech G710+.

Moving back to mechanical switches, there are different switches so suit people preference's.

Blues are for people who like the clicky noise and the tactile feedback.

Browns are for people who like tactile feedback but do not really like the noise.

Reds are for people who prefer more linear keys

Blacks are the same as Reds, they just need slightly more force

Greens are for people who want to feel as if they are typing on buckling spring

Greys are for people who just want to torture themselves.

So yeah as you can see, there are many different mechanical switches to suit the consumer's needs. I can understand that you really cannot tell the difference if you have been using a high grade membrane keyboard for a long time. But mechanicals do last a lot longer and those who typed on cheap keyboards for a long time will 100% get a better typing experience

Yup I never heard of super blacks, what's the actuation force on them? 200g? XD

Oh man, the moment I pressed my first mechanical key, I was hooked. The sound, the feel, the overall better typing speed, everything clicked for me. Will never go back.
I'm currently using a CM Storm Trigger with Cherry MX Blacks, actually did a review of it too!

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/member-reviews/35438-cooler-master-storm-trigger-cherry-mx-black-mechanical-keyboard-review

Great keyboard for my entry into mechanicals.

Some mechanical keyboards are better/worse than others, but for me only the best dome keyboards are better than worst mechanical keyboards...

If noise is an issue, reds are not that bad (but my least favourite switches)

The clicky noise was not an issue I liked it! The only noise issue is the spring that is really noticeable (specialy when I pressed the spacebar)

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Membrane or dome switches tend to have this more spongy or mushy feeling when you press them, whereas mechanical keyboards give a tactile feedback as stated above. Mechanical switches are all user preference so you would have to test them out to see which you like unless you have a store nearby that sells them. As Linus said, some mechanical keyboards are worse than others, so before buying one, I would suggest looking at reviews just to see what people think. I would also suggest buying the more premium keyboards priced above 100 if you want more features and a better build quality (das, mionix, ducky, logitech, etc.). Some nice keyboards priced under $100 are the Quickfire TK, 6Gv2, k60 (on sale for 80 at ncix), and much more.

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

Some mechanical keyboards are better/worse than others, but for me only the best dome keyboards are better than worst mechanical keyboards...

If noise is an issue, reds are not that bad (but my least favourite switches)

I personally bought a K90 after you unboxed it and was really hyped about getting it. However, I felt that the red switches just plain out feel weird, been using for months now and I would've preferred a brown or blue cherry switches, but the gorgeous finish on the K90 makes up for it.

I'm using a Mionix Zibal and I really enjoy it. There seem to be some QC issues with them, but the one I have now is lovely. Black switches so there's no clicky unless you bottom them out, so it's quite quiet, more resistance than other switches too which I find feels better.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Like other people said, once you type on the mechanical keyboards, there is no going back. I absolutely hate typing in my school with the membrane keyboards!

I use an IBM Model M that I got from a junk pile at my high school. This thing is amazing to type on, even though its clicky as all hell, its hardly noticeable when you get used to it and are using headphones.

I dislike the word "tactile" in this argument, it means "Of or connected with the sense of touch". Membrane keyboards are also tactile if you think about it. With mechanical keyboards you can feel the point where the key hits the contacts with your fingers and hear a click. With membrane keyboards, you don't feel where the contacts hit and sometimes type letters twice. With some very bad membrane keyboards, the plastic on the keyboard and the keys aren't aligned properly, so the keys will seize up, and that drives me NUTS.

Overall, mechanical keyboards are higher quality and you generally have a better typing experience. Thats my two cents.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

I just ordered a Cooler Master Storm Quickfire rapid with MX Blue switches. I'll see how I like it compared to my current Dell keyboard. If I like the switches, but not the keyboard I might return it and get a K60 or K90.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

I just ordered a Cooler Master Storm Quickfire rapid with MX Blue switches. I'll see how I like it compared to my current Dell keyboard. If I like the switches' date=' but not the keyboard I might return it and get a K60 or K90. [/quote']

Note that those two keyboards aren't fully mechanical. Some keys (F1-F12, home, etc) are original keys. So if that's something that bothers you, keep that in mind. Personally that's what keeps me away from using a CORSAIR keyboard, but their newer models addressed this and it is fully mechanical now.

mechanical:

more durable

many different choice of switches for your satishfaction

feels better than membrane

low resistance switches for lighter press

non-mechanical:

feels awkward to use