Mechanical Vs Non-Mechanical

LapX

I heard a lot of good thing about mechanical keyboards so, I went and bought the Blackwidow Ultimate to replace my G15 (2nd gen)

But after a day or too, I liked the clicky sound of blues, the tactile feedback of the switches and the overall look of this keyboard but, I returned it because I felt it was not worth of an upgrade and I don't prefer a mechanical keyboard to the one that I am currently using, for me they are equal, I don't really see the difference. Maybe the Blackwidow Ultimate is not a good mechanical keyboard ?

I was wondering if there was anyone else who think like me ?

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

I don't much care for the mechanical keyboard fad either ... I have the Logitech G710+ which I guess is the least "mechanical" of them all (from an auditory POV) and I 'm ok with it, but I have used duckys etc and literally after 10 minutes I was way past annoyed

Its a matter of preference, going from a high end keyboard e.g. G15 you wont probably feel it is worth it, but when i moved from my old dell generic keyboard to my own razer blackwidow i noticed a massive difference in typing speed, how comfortable it was, and the number of errors i was making reduced drastically. If you are doing a lot of typing, it probably is very worth it. But from a gaming point of view you might not see the advantage

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

I immediately fell in love with my Das Professional S, and I have extreme difficulty typing on other people's membrane keyboards. While the BWU isn't the highest end mechanical keyboard, you would definitely be able to feel the tactility that everyone raves about, and that sets mechanical keyboards apart. But they aren't for some people, so I guess that's what happened. You may want to try the other switch types before you give up on them completely though.

You should try using it for a bit longer just to get used to it. Once you're hooked, there's no going back!

The purpose of a mechanical keyboard is a few things. To list them, there are things like build quality, response time, customizable key switches, and many other things. But if you don't like them then it doesn't really matter.

I though that a keyboard with blue switches for example, would be the same as any other keyboard with blue switches, and I know It may sound real but I did not liked the texture on tops of the keys compared to my g15 they were less soft and I had the sensation of having my nails on a chalkboard.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

I really want to try a mechanical keyboard, but I haven't found one to try out to see if I can spend the money and feel right about it yet

I really want to try a mechanical keyboard, but I haven't found one to try out to see if I can spend the money and feel right about it yet
http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

A very nice guide on describing the different types of mechanical switches and how they are different from each other

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Could not go back to a rubber dome keyboard after using my CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with Cherry MX Blue switches. It's so comfortable to type on & play games on I feel like I have to put less effort into pressing my keys for a response. I recommend getting a mechanical keyboard > rubber dome/membrane.

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide A very nice guide on describing the different types of mechanical switches and how they are different from each other

Thanks for the link I read through most of it. In my post though I meant I wanted to try one before I buy one

Once I went mechanical and used it for awhile, I couldn't go back to non mechanical now. Maybe you did not give it enough of a shot.

After using a mechanical keyboard for the past six months, I find it very hard to type on anything else. I can't stand having to bottom out the keys every time I press them. My typing speed and error rate has also improved dramatically since I started using mechanical keyboards. I swear by these things now.

Maybe you're right, I haven't used it long enough, I think I'll choose brown switches next time tought because I liked the clicky sound (I know browns don't have it) but I hated to hear the spring, specialy when I hitted the spacebar.

There is a Cherry MX sampler kit by wasd keyboards that includes the switches, the different colours of key caps that they offer, and sound dampening O rings:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-sampler-kit.html

Or you could go to stores to try the switches that are available on display at your electronics store...

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

You guys seem to think that there are only clicky mechanical switches. There are Cherry MX reds (lighter) and blacks (heavier) and they don't have any click. The whole point of mechanical is tactile response (even or linear switches like blacks or reds its nicer than membrane), lifetime, low latency and overall build quality. There ARE quality membrane keyboards, but I promise you that once you find a mechanical keyboard that you like you won't be able to go back.

You guys seem to think that there are only clicky mechanical switches. There are Cherry MX reds (lighter) and blacks (heavier) and they don't have any click. The whole point of mechanical is tactile response (even or linear switches like blacks or reds its nicer than membrane), lifetime, low latency and overall build quality. There ARE quality membrane keyboards, but I promise you that once you find a mechanical keyboard that you like you won't be able to go back.

Thankyou! I can't believe it took this long for someone to bring up switch preference. Yes, there are differences between keyboards with the same switch. One keyboard with cherry blues can feel different to another keyboard with cherry blues, especially in the case of different stabilizers being used, but it could just be that you don't like cherry blues....Maybe you'd prefer browns, blacks or reds, but even then there are other possibilities. You might dislike all of those and yet fall in love with cherry greys, whites, clears or greens. Maybe you'd prefer ALPS switches, or buckling springs...People tend to prefer mechanical keyboards, but there's still only a very limited selection available to the general public as far as switches go.

Mechanical keyboards is most of the time a personal preference, some people really cannot tell the difference since they have been using high quality membrane keyboards like the G Series ones from Logitech. But those using cheapo $10 keyboards can tell the difference almost immediately. I have been typing on a laptop keyboard for 5 years thanks to my dad convincing me to get a laptop (which I so dearly regret). When I went over to a friend's house and tried out his Ducky with Blue switches.... it felt my hands just had sex, in a good way of course. But the main thing I didn't like about the keyboard is the clicky noise. So I decided to save up and get myself a Logitech G710+.

Moving back to mechanical switches, there are different switches so suit people preference's.

Blues are for people who like the clicky noise and the tactile feedback.

Browns are for people who like tactile feedback but do not really like the noise.

Reds are for people who prefer more linear keys

Blacks are the same as Reds, they just need slightly more force

Greens are for people who want to feel as if they are typing on buckling spring

Greys are for people who just want to torture themselves.

So yeah as you can see, there are many different mechanical switches to suit the consumer's needs. I can understand that you really cannot tell the difference if you have been using a high grade membrane keyboard for a long time. But mechanicals do last a lot longer and those who typed on cheap keyboards for a long time will 100% get a better typing experience

I know all those differences, I was just relating my own experience, since my G15 is working perfectly, I don't see the point of buying something else yet but, I will surely buy a mechanical keyboard if that one broke in the future.

Mechanical keyboards is most of the time a personal preference, some people really cannot tell the difference since they have been using high quality membrane keyboards like the G Series ones from Logitech. But those using cheapo $10 keyboards can tell the difference almost immediately. I have been typing on a laptop keyboard for 5 years thanks to my dad convincing me to get a laptop (which I so dearly regret). When I went over to a friend's house and tried out his Ducky with Blue switches.... it felt my hands just had sex, in a good way of course. But the main thing I didn't like about the keyboard is the clicky noise. So I decided to save up and get myself a Logitech G710+.

Moving back to mechanical switches, there are different switches so suit people preference's.

Browns are for people who like tactile feedback but do not really like the noise.

So yeah as you can see, there are many different mechanical switches to suit the consumer's needs. I can understand that you really cannot tell the difference if you have been using a high grade membrane keyboard for a long time. But mechanicals do last a lot longer and those who typed on cheap keyboards for a long time will 100% get a better typing experience

Thanks ! You just re-assured me that I really should try brown key switches ! But, what do you mean by ``Greys are for people who just want to torture themselves.``?

Oh man, the moment I pressed my first mechanical key, I was hooked. The sound, the feel, the overall better typing speed, everything clicked for me. Will never go back.

I think he's referring to the actuation force of greys being rather high. Maybe he's never heard of super blacks.

Oh man, the moment I pressed my first mechanical key, I was hooked. The sound, the feel, the overall better typing speed, everything clicked for me. Will never go back.
What keyboard and switches you using?

Some mechanical keyboards are better/worse than others, but for me only the best dome keyboards are better than worst mechanical keyboards...

If noise is an issue, reds are not that bad (but my least favourite switches)

Some mechanical keyboards are better/worse than others, but for me only the best dome keyboards are better than worst mechanical keyboards...

If noise is an issue, reds are not that bad (but my least favourite switches)

Yeah I kind of agree, if you compare one of those higher end Logitech gaming keyboards, or that modular keyboard whatever it's name is... the experience on it can be better than poorly made mechanicals.