Replacing Optical Drive: Anything I have To Be Concerned About

Go to solution Solved by Liam-McShane,

They don't use drivers that  i know of unless it is USB. You should just be able to plug the new one in and it will work.

I have a LG 24X Dual Burner or something and I'm swapping it to an ASUS same spec one.

This is because I'm selling a low end PC to a friend and I might as well use newer parts and the ASUS branding (which is great to match my mobo, graphics card, and monitor)

Is there anything I have to worry about?

Also, how can i remove the old drivers?

I have a LG 24X Dual Burner or something and I'm swapping it to an ASUS same spec one.

This is because I'm selling a low end PC to a friend and I might as well use newer parts and the ASUS branding (which is great to match my mobo, graphics card, and monitor)

Is there anything I have to worry about?

Also, how can i remove the old drivers?

Take the old one out, put the new one in and you are done.

No drivers for windows or linux or unix. CD-RW/DVD-RW support is included since at least 1998.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

SATA is plug and play?

Pretty much, as long as the OS detects it, then it is good to go.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

They don't use drivers that  i know of unless it is USB. You should just be able to plug the new one in and it will work.

Gotcha.