Water Cooling 101 - A good place for newbies to start

Gmac

Hi all, for fittings, i must to buy brands fittings like ek (4€) or also nobrand fittings are ok? (2€)

thanks 

Just helped a friend setup a system using Barrow (Bitspower OEM) fittings and they work fine.

The finishing isn't as nice as and has minor scratches but it works fine so far.

I have a question, since where i am not easy to find a normal distilled water (i.e in the normal supermarket)  but i just recently found a shop/lab selling distilled water for lab use. Can i use these?

Mobo:Rampage v Extreme **Processor: i7 5930X @ 4.7ghz**Ram:Corsair Vengence 2800 16GB**GPU: GTX Titan X**PSU: 1300W Cooler Master Silent Hybrid**Hard drive: 512gb Plexton Pro SSD**Samsung EVO 1TB SSD**Case: Enthoo Primo** All razers peripehal
WC : Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 480mm Radiator ***Phobya V2 480mm Radiator!!***EK R5E Full Mobo WB***Nickel EK-FC Titan X with Black Backplate from EK*** Bitspower com angle fittings*** Primochill Hardline Fittings**Bitspower Dual Pump top and 200mm Tube Z with MCP655 pwm***Primochill PETG** Mayhem Dye

Follow me in instagram #grimmmreaper88

I have a question, since where i am not easy to find a normal distilled water (i.e in the normal supermarket) but i just recently found a shop/lab selling distilled water for lab use. Can i use these?

Distilled water is Distilled water.

hey guys what can you tell me about this Noctua

1- Is it much loud?

2 - Is it good for Radiators?

3 - Is it better them NF-A14 PWM?

CORE i5 4670K ASRock Fatal1ty KILLER 8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO  MSI GTX 770 7TEAM 550W

AMD FX6300 GA 990FXA-UD3 4.0 16GB G.SKILL TridentX  EVGA 9600 GT EVGA SN 750W G2

hey guys what can you tell me about this Noctua

1- Is it much loud?

2 - Is it good for Radiators?

3 - Is it better them NF-A14 PWM?

yea go for the 2000rpm

yes very

yep and it can even PWM lower at least with 2000rpm models from my experience

yea go for the 2000rpm

yes very

yep and it can eve PWM lower at least with 2000rpm models from my experience

thanks man!

CORE i5 4670K ASRock Fatal1ty KILLER 8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO  MSI GTX 770 7TEAM 550W

AMD FX6300 GA 990FXA-UD3 4.0 16GB G.SKILL TridentX  EVGA 9600 GT EVGA SN 750W G2

Does water cooling have a performance threshold?

Or in other words, is it possible to have too much water cooling?

Yes there is a certain point where you won't benefit from adding more.

im confused, so the pump need to be below the res, which way does the water flow and how is it gravity fed?

i7-7800x, 1080ti

Is 8x 120mm per component past that?

heck even above 4x120mm yo umight not see an improvement. All depends on the components, the rad, and is you deem the improvement significant.

im confused, so the pump need to be below the res, which way does the water flow and how is it gravity fed?

no it just makes it easier to be bled. The res does have to be before the pump though so that the pump can draw from it.

The pump can't run dry, if it's below the res the gravity will fill it

Regarding coolant. I put Mayhems Ultra Pure H20 into my build. Do I need to combine it with biocide? Or is it good on its own?

I'm not using any dye for now, but if I were to add dye in the future, would the biocide have a bad effect together with the dye?

i havent found an answer to this, so i decided to ask

how does the pump and res mount to the case? are they scewed in? do you have to mod the case?

i7-7800x, 1080ti

i havent found an answer to this, so i decided to ask

how does the pump and res mount to the case? are they scewed in? do you have to mod the case?

yes and sometimes

Regarding coolant. I put Mayhems Ultra Pure H20 into my build. Do I need to combine it with biocide? Or is it good on its own?

I'm not using any dye for now, but if I were to add dye in the future, would the biocide have a bad effect together with the dye?

From the product page:

When using Mayhems Ultra Pure H20 it is recommended that you also use a biocide and inhibitor if needed.

So, yes, add some. If using die, mix some in a cup, add a bit of biocide to test. Normally shouldn't be an issue.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

yes and sometimes

what about the 750d?

i7-7800x, 1080ti

what about the 750d?

All depends what pump, what res, and how they mount.

Water cooling Basic

Water cooling breaks down into two subcategories:

1) Custom Loop cooling- You add different parts to make a whole water cooling loop. These consist of; Pumps, Water blocks, (CPU, GPU, Mobo, Mosfets, Ram HDD If you can think of a computer part someone makes a block for it.) Radiators, and lastly Reservoir. You can mix and match all these different parts in different way to create a loop that is tailored made for your system.

2) All in one closed cooling loops- The name is pretty self explanatory. These all self contained cooling system that pull all those different parts into one unite. They are always sealed and cannot be opened. They compare to good high end air cooling apparatuses but cannot keep up with a custom cooling loop. I won't be cover just about anything on these as they are very popular products and don't need much explanation

i just bought something that does not fit in either of these categories...the Raijintek Triton is an AIO unit with a 240mm radiator but it's not sealed you can flush it and add dyes to the fluid the colour you like...also the fittings from what i understand are ''industy standards'' so you can expand this unit and cool your graphics cards with it or use different parts (change rads, tubing..etc.)

Just wanted to let you know, something like this exist now...i guess it's an AIO because it has all you need in the box to cool your CPU but it's expandable so it can be ''custom'' looping as well.

Found this unit for only 89$ canadian free shipping (usualy retails for 119$ + shipping in canada, not sure in the US probably cheaper) and so far i like it a lot...it has greeat build quality and it's not too loud...the pump seems really powerful i'm sure it would have no problem cooling at least my graphics card and CPU.

This is what it looks like:

Raijintek-CBO-Triton-1.jpg

Accessiores_w_600.jpg

4770K now running at 1.2v the room is 22c and the idle temps are around 25c and max load temps with fans at 1100RPM are around 62c...so it performs good i think...

Used to have an hyper 212 in push/pull in there and my temps where idle at 34c and full load around 72c with the same settings.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

• 1 month later...

Thanks I have been looking everywhere to find find such a in depth look at watercooling thanks 

Awesome post thanks a lot, but i really like the looks of hardline tubing.... can i start with that or is it to much

i really like the looks of hardline tubing.... can i start with that or is it to much

Sure. Look up some video tutorials and make sure you have the proper gear for the job, and just be patient with it. And be prepared to have a lot of this:

az_trooper_057.jpg

So yeah, get plenty of tubing. :P

c u r r e n t  /  ROG MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULA  /  I7-12700K  /  2080TI  /  32GB DDR5  /  LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC

Z170 STINGER  /  6700K  /  TITAN X  /  32GB DDR4  /  NZXT MANTA  /  j u i c e b o x  build log

nohasslemods 

Awesome post thanks a lot, but i really like the looks of hardline tubing.... can i start with that or is it to much

As a seasoned vet, I always recommend those new to water cooling start with a simpler solution to get experience using tubing. This gives a great into and is much more forgiving than hard tubing. 

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99