Water Cooling 101 - A good place for newbies to start

Gmac

Greetings :) .

I just have a thing that bugging me since i built my current loop. I have a dual ddc setup(both pump are around 4500RPM) but it pushes only 190l/h. That seems a little bit low for me... The loop:

res->dual pump->rad1->rad2->cpu->gpu>flow meter->res

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1201829/pcw_forum/20150614_134257.jpg

pump: 2xLaing DDC-Pumpe 12V DDC-1T Plus+Aquacomputer aquacover dual DDC

rad's: Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 360mm

CPU: Aquacomputer cuplex kryos PRO

GPU: Koolance VID-AR290X Water Block

flow meter: Aquacomputer Durchflusssensor "high flow USB" G1/4

Is that 190l/h flow rate normal for this loop or is it too low? :unsure:

Thanks in advance for the help :) .

Post this as a new topic in the WC section.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

HMMMMM...!! Gives me a place to start with this all. Ive been thinking of upgrading some parts in my computer soon. Mainly my CPU and place a new cooling loop in it, well i should say a first lol. 

One thing i didnt see anything about tubing in this at all. Like hard vs soft and the alike. Id wana do hard tubing in my pc but like its frightening lol maybe just me.

Consume The Darkness

HMMMMM...!! Gives me a place to start with this all. Ive been thinking of upgrading some parts in my computer soon. Mainly my CPU and place a new cooling loop in it, well i should say a first lol. 

One thing i didnt see anything about tubing in this at all. Like hard vs soft and the alike. Id wana do hard tubing in my pc but like its frightening lol maybe just me.

Its not that bad :) . But let me warn you, it will take a ton of time and patience to bend the tubing, especially wen you have a small case... :D

Its not that bad :) . But let me warn you, it will take a ton of time and patience to bend the tubing, especially wen you have a small case... :D

Well its an S340 so yah small and normal people dont put WC loops in them but im game for a challenge lol ;) Mostly Mods to the bottom on the PSU shroud to make room for tubes to go from basement to main chamber.

What would you suggest? And what tools should i get/need for it? Thats another thing that he didnt put in the thread: tools youll need.

Consume The Darkness

Just looking for confirmation to start off my watercooling build in a Define R4.

http://i.imgur.com/xmJlZuH.png

Looks workable right? I just need to find some quick release / drain valve plus a "t-junction slitter" for it. Any recommendations? 

Also, regretted not getting a windowed R4. Any recommendations?

Just looking for confirmation to start off my watercooling build in a Define R4.

http://i.imgur.com/xmJlZuH.png

Looks workable right? I just need to find some quick release / drain valve plus a "t-junction slitter" for it. Any recommendations? 

Also, regretted not getting a windowed R4. Any recommendations?

Tubing? You looking to do hard or soft?

Also, correct me if im wrong, I believe that they sell just the windowed side panels somewhere. Not sure where tho, check the FD website?

Consume The Darkness

Tubing? You looking to do hard or soft?

Also, correct me if im wrong, I believe that they sell just the windowed side panels somewhere. Not sure where tho, check the FD website?

Going to try soft tubing first. 5th item on the list if you missed it :) And for the window, I've hunted high and low for it. No joy.

Trying to focus on the draining part though. Any comments for that?

Going to try soft tubing first. 5th item on the list if you missed it :) And for the window, I've hunted high and low for it. No joy.

Trying to focus on the draining part though. Any comments for that?

Ahh i see it now lol my bad :)

Idk i havnt started my loop yet so i cant speak from exp. But you could do something like Jayz2cents did on Skunkworks or maybe like Kyle did on his pink panther build.

Consume The Darkness

• 2 weeks later...

Since this thread was started and I'm a noob, would it be worth investing in a Corsair all-in-one for someone who's planning on overclocking just a little to none their cpu from a noise perspective - vs say a Noctua Air cooler?

Since this thread was started and I'm a noob, would it be worth investing in a Corsair all-in-one for someone who's planning on overclocking just a little to none their cpu from a noise perspective - vs say a Noctua Air cooler?

A good air cooler might keep it more quiet, but it depends on how much space you got in the case.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

A good air cooler might keep it more quiet, but it depends on how much space you got in the case.

Don't have a case yet, any suggestion that would go well with say like one of those top notch Noctua coolers?

• 3 weeks later...

There are a lot of build guides out there, here is one that I liked.

There is hard & soft tubing

Compression VS Barb fittings

Res must be above the Pump, (dont run it dry)

Bleed & Fill/Drain method

Removing Bubbles from system

Using colors, dyes, food coloring (sugar)

Using anti-rust & anti-algae

JayzTwoCents: $800 Watercooling Guide:

Chooser of the Slain

• 1 month later...

Will my Intel cooler work on my new AMD processor?

It is an aftermarket liquid cooling system (the kind that only sits on the processor and nothing else)

• 3 weeks later...

With a push-pull fan & radiator sandwich setup, do I want either fan to be running faster/slower than the other or both the same and ramp up the same?

• 2 weeks later...

With a push-pull fan & radiator sandwich setup, do I want either fan to be running faster/slower than the other or both the same and ramp up the same?

You want your fans running at same speed for proper airflow through the rad. Alternating speeds can cause dead air pockets in the rad.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

You want your fans running at same speed for proper airflow through the rad. Alternating speeds can cause dead air pockets in the rad.

They (LTT NF-F12s) arrived today and I've done just that. I didn't realise both fans would come with a y-connector though so I ordered one separately -_-

On the y-connectors though, one of the headers is 3 pin while the other is 4 pin though, which seems a bit odd no? Either way, I'm amazed at how silent they BOTH are compared to the stock fan coolermaster ships out, worth every agonising moment of waiting :D

They (LTT NF-F12s) arrived today and I've done just that. I didn't realise both fans would come with a y-connector though so I ordered one separately -_-

On the y-connectors though, one of the headers is 3 pin while the other is 4 pin though, which seems a bit odd no? Either way, I'm amazed at how silent they BOTH are compared to the stock fan coolermaster ships out, worth every agonising moment of waiting :D

And one of the reasons why many of who water cool only use Noctue NF-F fans - amazing performance and very quiet.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to liquid cool my CPU and GPU as my all in one country cooler died last year and have just loved the aspect of liquid cooling since I got into pcs. My question is what should I get I have and I5-3570k and am going to get a 980 soon I want to liquid cool both but also don't know if I would like to go hard line or soft I like the look of hard but I know it's way harder to do. So if anyone could give me a basic list to start with imrelativly good with computers and my dad runs a computer repair company and knows a lot as well just a list would be great or any recommendations as I have a mid tower case that I think will need to be full tower to liquid cool as it super cramped. I have plenty of cash and with Christmas around the corner I ca ask for most of the stuff. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.

I have a question about the radiator sizes.

Now, let's say we have a 240mm x 60mm thick one with good fans.

Is it the same performer as a 480mm x 30mm with good fans ?

Get it ? 2 times longer but 2 times thiner.

I am planning to build a g3258+r9 280x loop in a Fractal Design core 500 case using one 280mm and a single 140 in the back, but i don't know if it will be enough for a pretty high overclock. Planning on 5ghz at 1.45 volts for 24/7 and 1.3v on the gpu. I could maybe unlock the limiter and push it even more.

i have question... im going to buy a liquidcooler for my cpu. im using core i7.

which one should i use ? thermalteck water 3.0 ? or corsair h100i ? which one is good ? thermal or corsair ?

i have no idea. plz help. I have enough space in my case for both.

and is it possible to add fans in the both side of the radiator ? tia. and sry for my English. :)

Hi.

I have a question about the radiator sizes.

Now, let's say we have a 240mm x 60mm thick one with good fans.

Is it the same performer as a 480mm x 30mm with good fans ?

Get it ? 2 times longer but 2 times thiner.

I am planning to build a g3258+r9 280x loop in a Fractal Design core 500 case using one 280mm and a single 140 in the back, but i don't know if it will be enough for a pretty high overclock. Planning on 5ghz at 1.45 volts for 24/7 and 1.3v on the gpu. I could maybe unlock the limiter and push it even more.

i have question... im going to buy a liquidcooler for my cpu. im using core i7.

which one should i use ? thermalteck water 3.0 ? or corsair h100i ? which one is good ? thermal or corsair ?

i have no idea. plz help. I have enough space in my case for both.

and is it possible to add fans in the both side of the radiator ? tia. and sry for my English. :)

Post your questions in the main section of the WC forum, not here. :)

• 2 months later...

this goes alot deeper than I thought it did, thanks for this post

• 3 months later...

Can I just say, this is a excellent write up.  I am doing my first water cooled system and would like to ask, can I top up my system with reverse osmosis water?  As I have put 1 liter  ek coolant in today and thought it be enough, but it's not and I need a bit more, but, I have no computer shops close, but I do have a  pet shop close that does their own reverse osmosis water for marine fish (without salt) I can get this tomorrow, or do I have to order another bottle of ek coolant and wait 3 days for it to come? Lol