Dell U2414H yellow tint problem

jasonycw
Go to solution Solved by Geekazoid,

So I should keep the contrast as default and set my brightness first?

Yeah, keep the contrast at the default of 75 and do whatever you like with the brightness. :)

Also, @Geekazoid 

Will the color management setting help? I found some posts on the internet that using that from Windows 7 will help as well.

Yeah, it can. Using calibrated ICC profile's from TFT Central (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#the_database) can help. These are profiles that are usually done with a hardware calibrator and can help give you better colour accuracy.

But I would try just leaving the contrast at default first and then adjust the blue colour, like detailed above, to see if you're able to remove the yellow tinting at all.

Hi, a few days ago, I got my first IPS monitor and was looking forward to see how much difference from my cheap TN panel monitor.

However, after Google and research for a while and deal with the monitor settings, I cannot find a good way to remove the yellow tint from the screen.

The color is yellowish compare to my old monitor and when opening a white png image, it is noticeable that the IPS display is yellower than the TN panel.

Is there any good suggestion for fixing the yellow tint or is it a problem for my own monitor?

CPU i5 13400F - - - - - - GPU ASUS TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10G - - - - - - - - RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V Black DDR4 3600MHz 2*16GB

Motherboard MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI mATX - - - - Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB M.2 + Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB + WD Green 2TB

PSU Seasonic Focus GX 850W 80 Plus Gold - - - - Cooling Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black - - - - Case Fractal Design Define 7 Mini

Displays INNOCN 27M2V + ASUS TUF Gaming VG259QM + Dell U2414H - - - - - - - - - - - Sound ATH-M50x, Lenovo unknown speaker

Keyboard Ducky Shine 4 - - - - - Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight + G-TF Rough + Logitech G PowerPlay

Have you tried changing the colour settings of the monitor? Some have something like gamma, hue, or tone which you can tweak to get a 'cool' white rather than a 'warm' white.

Also your GPU should have settings to change the colour calibration of the display.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I had play with the color temperature, sRGB, and custom color setting.

For color temperature, it is using units like 6500k and I had tried all of them, either they are too blue or too yellow and red

For sRGB which is said to be factory calibrated, it is pretty yellow

For custom color setting, I don't know which slider I should turn down for removing yellow tint and so I only get some blue tint or green tint... still no white

For gamma, I had changed a lot to see if it help, but even I push it all the way up, the yellow tint will exist.

Also, some people says that Nvidia is not well compatible with U2414H with lowered dynamic range (http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-u2414h),

so I am using a custom refresh rate setting through the Nvidia control panel.

How do I test if I am using 0 to 255 dynamic range instead of 16 to 235?

CPU i5 13400F - - - - - - GPU ASUS TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10G - - - - - - - - RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V Black DDR4 3600MHz 2*16GB

Motherboard MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI mATX - - - - Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB M.2 + Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB + WD Green 2TB

PSU Seasonic Focus GX 850W 80 Plus Gold - - - - Cooling Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black - - - - Case Fractal Design Define 7 Mini

Displays INNOCN 27M2V + ASUS TUF Gaming VG259QM + Dell U2414H - - - - - - - - - - - Sound ATH-M50x, Lenovo unknown speaker

Keyboard Ducky Shine 4 - - - - - Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight + G-TF Rough + Logitech G PowerPlay

Hi, a few days ago, I got my first IPS monitor and was looking forward to see how much difference from my cheap TN panel monitor.

However, after Google and research for a while and deal with the monitor settings, I cannot find a good way to remove the yellow tint from the screen.

The color is yellowish compare to my old monitor and when opening a white png image, it is noticeable that the IPS display is yellower than the TN panel.

Is there any good suggestion for fixing the yellow tint or is it a problem for my own monitor?

Just a quick question, what is the contrast set at in the OSD of your Dell monitor? I know that if it's set at anything else other than the default 75 you can get a very noticeable yellow tint.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Just a quick question, what is the contrast set at in the OSD of your Dell monitor? I know that if it's set at anything else other than the default 75 you can get a very noticeable yellow tint.

I tried from around 60 to 100 and still no luck.

I prefer a dimmer monitor so I set the brightness to around 20

I tried from around 60 to 100 and still no luck.

Well 75 is the default and most pro reviewers don't touch the contrast and leave it @ 75. So, there is obviously an issue with Dell monitors and their contrast setting which usually results in a yellow tint if changed. ;)

@J12894, try doing the following:

1) Bring up the OSD.

2) Go to the 'Color Settings' on the side column.

3) Then go across to 'Preset Modes'.

4) Once there, navigate your way down to 'Custum Color'.

Now you should see 3 colour settings for Red, Green and Blue.

5) Adjust the blue colour until you see the yellow tint changing to more of a cleaner white colour.

If you need further help...just ask, :)

@J12894, try doing the following:

1) Bring up the OSD.

2) Go to the 'Color Settings' on the side column.

3) Then go across to 'Preset Modes'.

4) Once there, navigate your way down to 'Custum Color'.

Now you should see 3 colour settings for Red, Green and Blue.

5) Adjust the blue colour until you see the yellow tint changing to more of a cleaner white colour.

If you need further help...just ask, :)

Also, @Geekazoid 

Will the color management setting help? I found some posts on the internet that using that from Windows 7 will help as well.

Yeah, keep the contrast at the default of 75 and do whatever you like with the brightness. :)

Also, @Geekazoid 

Yeah, it can. Using calibrated ICC profile's from TFT Central (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#the_database) can help. These are profiles that are usually done with a hardware calibrator and can help give you better colour accuracy.

But I would try just leaving the contrast at default first and then adjust the blue colour, like detailed above, to see if you're able to remove the yellow tinting at all.

But for yellow color tint, not adjusting Red and Green color but Blue?

Since it is default as RGB all at 100%, the only option is to reduce each color.

Isn't reducing red and green will reduce yellow tint? Correct me if I am wrong since I am not expert of color mixing.

But for yellow color tint, not adjusting Red and Green color but Blue?

Since it is default as RGB all at 100%, the only option is to reduce each color.

Isn't reducing red and green will reduce yellow tint? Correct me if I am wrong since I am not expert of color mixing.

Ah, yes, now I remember. Yeah, you want to reduce red and green to equal numbers and leave the blue at 100. Reduce them until you see the yellow tinting fade. But you don't wanna reduce them too much as you don't want the white to be too cool. I hope that helps.

@Geekazoid Many thanks to you, I spends some time to readjusting the monitor setting and using the Windows' color managing tool. and the 2 monitor now looks much similar and my IPS display looks a lot less yellow now.

Here is the result that I use my Nexus 4 to take and Nexus 7(2013) as reference. Since I think it is one of the best display panel I have every see.

Z07XjLo.jpg

@Geekazoid Many thanks to you, I spends some time to readjusting the monitor setting and using the Windows' color managing tool. and the 2 monitor now looks much similar and my IPS display looks a lot less yellow now.

Here is the result that I use my Nexus 4 to take and Nexus 7(2013) as reference. Since I think it is one of the best display panel I have every see.

Z07XjLo.jpg

Well that looks quite fine. I think the Nexus screen looks a tad yellower in comparison now. I'm glad you sort it out with my help. Which one of my answers would you say was the best, which one helped you the most? Just select 'Mark As Solved' on the one you found was most helpful. :D

Well that looks quite fine. I think the Nexus screen looks a tad yellower in comparison now. I'm glad you sort it out with my help. Which one of my answers would you say was the best, which one helped you the most? Just select 'Mark As Solved' on the one you found was most helpful. :D

Marked

The yellow Nexus screen is because my screen is a bit red, it is difficult to make the same color as even 1 degree of change will make the screen looks tiny reddish or tiny green/yellowish. Also when viewing the IPS display in an angle, the right-side of the screen become more greenish.

Maybe this is one of the problem for IPS compare to my good old TN display. Will add white color accuracy into my checklist for shopping monitor in the future.

Marked.

Thanks! :D

The yellow Nexus screen is because my screen is a bit red, it is difficult to make the same color as even 1 degree of change will make the screen looks tiny reddish or tiny green/yellowish.

Hmm yeah, well that can't be helped unfortunately.

Also when viewing the IPS display in an angle, the right-side of the screen become more greenish.

Yeah, it kinda sounds like you got a bit of a dud (aka bad unit). But if you can cope with it then that's great.

Maybe this is one of the problem for IPS compare to my good old TN display. Will add white color accuracy into my checklist for shopping monitor in the future.

Well IPS display technology is supposed to be far better then any cheap or expensive TN monitor. Dell seems to be producing not-so-great monitors lately. I have a Dell P2314H that I was going to return to get my money back (because of several problems of which I won't detail here) but they never showed up to pick it up. So I've had to wear the cost and put up with a dud monitor. You can search my posts if you want the details about the problems as I don't wanna bother typing them all up here.

For those reasons I will be buying the VERY popular ASUS PB278Q with my planned build this year. I know that I will be happy with it. :D

• 1 month later...

Ah, yes, now I remember. Yeah, you want to reduce red and green to equal numbers and leave the blue at 100. Reduce them until you see the yellow tinting fade. But you don't wanna reduce them too much as you don't want the white to be too cool. I hope that helps.

Hey guys, I know this is a late reply, but just to add my comments nonetheless. I'm pretty disappointed that Dell's "factory calibration" resulted in good colours, but rubbish whites as they are flushed with a yellow tint (previous monitor was an AOC i2353ph IPS). I figured that since the Movie setting was the only one without yellowish wash, I tried to customise the Custom setting till I got a relatively non-yellow white was.

Here's my setting: R92:G91:B100. 

• 1 year later...

top link for this problem. My monitor had a yellow/green tint and looked slightly washed out. I was able to find out the solution to this here https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-u2414h/

it has a problem dealing with nvidia gfx cards. It treats it as a tv and gives it a limited dynamic range. search "An Nvidia GTX 780".

This fixed my problem. Hopes this helps someone who still has this problem