how fast can you type?

Frank Brown

get a mechanical keyboard with blue switches

Done. It's a Ducky Zero Shine (DK2108S) with Blues.

--Penis size, like resolution, is just a number--

--Hail GabeN--

If you don't mind a bit of a setback at first you could try switching to dvorak or some other layout.

I've tried Dvorak in the past and have found it extremely difficult to unlearn QWERTY, so I just gave up and went back to it.

--Penis size, like resolution, is just a number--

--Hail GabeN--

I can only manage 63 with my rubber domes :(

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

55 with my old rubber... Wow that really wasn't on purpose

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/1021-typing-test-leaderboard/

http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/1020-typing-test-table/

Sorry couldn't resist with all the attempted e peen flashing here, just keep practicing, learn to 'feel' your keyboard and you will naturally get way faster.

I'm using a Ducky Shine 2 with cherry mx reds

There's also this site:

http://www.typingclub.com/typing-qwerty-en.html

I don't think they're gonna differentiate much from each other. Once you get the technique right, an easy way to practice is to open a Word document and a book pdf or website article side by side and starting copying it. After that to really get the ball rolling try writing down your thoughts as they come up and try to go at a rate that you'd feel is normal while having a conversation.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I assume that typing more frequently and practicing common words is the way to go, touchtyping if you don't already. Touchtyping is probably the only reason I type the speed I do.

I have a WPM of only ~50 in english, a bit more in german, a bit less in finnish, but also have to deal with a larger active vocabulary as I regularily speak and write in those three languages.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I was never a fast typer(I think I have like 50 something WPM) and I look at the keys sometimes when I type. Now I tried MX blues but I hated them, they were so stiff. So now I have MX Browns for a couple of months now. They are lighter for sure and I can feel it but it still feels like something is holding me back.

Now I'm thinking that what's holding me back is the switch being non linear. I think I just wana push the key all the way down in one motion but that bump just makes it harder for me midway. Like these past few days I've been typing slower than ever. 

What are the factors in this? Why is my typing speed so slow lately?

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

It might be your key switches, but maybe also cause you haven't practiced in a while??

also, get a new avatar, it's broken ATM.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

just practice a little more browns are a little weird in that you need to be really on the ball to not bottom them out needlessly. (at first )

It might be your key switches, but maybe also cause you haven't practiced in a while??

also, get a new avatar, it's broken ATM.

yea i know its been like this for a long time. maybe i like it broken? :P

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

and here i was thinking of getting cherry mx brown because i thought it would be the best bang for the type lol

Just keep at it, and if overcoming the actuation point is a little bit hard just put more force in your typing.

and here i was thinking of getting cherry mx brown because i thought it would be the best bang for the type lol

:PPPP

Specs of my PC:

If it were me I would get MX Blues (or Razer Greens, the one I'm using now) because by prior experience, typing on those things are extremely fun. Browns are OK, but the tactile bump feels weird to me without the click and it feels like something is disrupting me. The thing is, once you get used to tactile switches, you don't really feel the need to bottom out anymore. This is what I learned to do, and I can type really fast because I don't bottom out as much. If you really can't stand not bottoming out, than I just recommend that you go with MX Reds/Blacks. But, for me and for a big majority out there, clicky/tactile switches are awesome for typing (and gaming for me). 

I don't think its the switches, because the bump is where the key activates, the problem is you are bottoming the switches out, and linear switches would make that problem worse, its best you just practice stopping when you hit that bump on the browns.

[insert stuffs here]

I found I just stopped bottoming out browns after a while just naturally. Practise makes perfect.

• 1 month later...

Practice works 100%.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Just did a quick test there with a crappy dell keyboard at work and got 92

http://10fastfingers.com/share-badge/1_CO

As for improving your speed you really just have to keep practicing.  I often have issues with typing tests because of the choice of words they use.  I tend to type a lot faster when it's actually in a sentence.  You could train yourself to read ahead farther while you are typing.  Other than that I don't have anything.

Troll this forum a bit, get in really angry, visceral fights about inconsequential shit like your "professed love of AMD FX CPUs" and do try to squeeze in how dogs are so much better than cats. The notifications will keep you well practised :)

• 2 months later...

Just a thread where peoples can post there average WPM typing speed, i type between 80 and 90, be honest guys :)

post-184936-0-91007500-1428868029.png

post-184936-0-91007500-1428868029.png

CPU-i5 4690k 4.4ghz @ 1.190V, MOBO-MSI z97 gaming 3, Cooler-hyper 212 evo, GPU- r9 290x asus directcuII (-37Mv), Storage-120gb v300(switching soon), 1tb caviar blue, CASE-Red/black h440, PSU-Antec TPC 650.