Why The Hate On AMD (Prosessors)

ok but you were talking about how AMD has worse TDP not performance

worse both. It's like my car. I get 20 mpg and it's a 4 cylinder. 

I don't get performance or efficiency. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

worse both. It's like my car. I get 20 mpg and it's a 4 cylinder. 

I don't get performance or efficiency. 

sucks for you my uncle had a 400hp turbo 6cyl and got close to 30mpg highway and 25city

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

I apologize for my crappy English I'm American

sucks for you my uncle had a 400hp turbo 6cyl and got close to 30mpg highway and 25city

And you see my point. My car costs less than 2500$ and it's my only option becuase of price limitations. 

A i7-4770T is 45 w and would cream most of what amd has to offer, both gaming and not. 

And that's the problem. Money is really the only reason to get an AMD anymore. Anymore I would only buy server tech from them. 

btw does you uncle drive a 2013 camero? Prob not, it think it's slightly above 400hp and it's 30 mpg @ 23k

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

were not just talking games here... just in general.

U wanna run 4 server off of one pc using different ports, you WANT more cores, screw clock speed and rendering capability 

i belive my i7 will do better then that shitty FX AMD.

i have BF3 server right on my desktop i have server for 64 players. including me. it's very good to play BF3 with ping 0 :D and my i7 was at 40% load with BF3 ultra settings 60 FPS of course :)

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

I'm talking about using more wattage. That uses more power. Over time, it adds up. The US also uses hydroelectric power as well as others.

Jay (from the youtube channel Jay's 2 cents) calculated that you'd need on average about 20 years to make up for the price difference between i5 4690k and fx 8320. I don't think anyone here will be still using either of those after that long. I could find the video but I'm too lazy

Jay (from the youtube channel Jay's 2 cents) calculated that you'd need on average about 20 years to make up for the difference between i5 4690k and fx 8320. I don't think anyone here will be still using either of those after that long. I could find the video but I'm too lazy

what the fuck does that mean? 20 years for what? Them to still compare the exact same as they do now? 

muh specs 

All parts black

And you see my point. My car costs less than 2500$ and it's my only option becuase of price limitations. 

A i7-4770T is 45 w and would cream most of what amd has to offer, both gaming and not. 

And that's the problem. Money is really the only reason to get an AMD anymore. Anymore I would only buy server tech from them. 

btw does you uncle drive a 2013 camero? Prob not, it think it's slightly above 400hp and it's 30 mpg @ 23k

no lol he sold the car it was a '87 Toyota Supra including the purchase of the the car which he had to buy two since the original one didn't pass smog cause it wasn't factory turbo he had probably 8k into the car

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

no lol he sold the car it was a '87 Toyota Supra including the purchase of the the car which he had to buy two since the original one didn't pass smog cause it wasn't factory turbo he had probably 8k into the car

lol niiice supra. 

muh specs 

All parts black

lol niiice supra. 

yup I miss the car but he sold it cause it had electrical gremlins from hell lol he had replaced the whole harness twice and it still had issues. And he wasn't gonna spend another $800+ on a brand new wiring harness lol

Jay (from the youtube channel Jay's 2 cents) calculated that you'd need on average about 20 years to make up for the difference between i5 4690k and fx 8320. I don't think anyone here will be still using either of those after that long. I could find the video but I'm too lazy

No he calculated that it would take about 20 years to make up the difference from an 80+ Bronze PSU and an 80+ Platinum PSU in power savings.

I can calculate it right now.

FX 8350:

Idle-95W

Under load-160W

i5:

Idle-96W

Under load-118W

Let's say that you use a PC for 12 hours a day. You game for 6 and you browse the web for 6. Browsing the web doesn't take to much power so we'll call that idle.

FX 8350=30KW/h a day.(or half a day since I chose 12 hours)

i5=25.68KW/h a day.

In a year that equals 10950KW/h for the FX 8350 and 9373.2KW/h for the i5.

My electric bill varies from 13KW/h in the winter to 16KW/h in the summer. So I'll just use 14.5 as an average.

FX= $1587.75 a year.

i5= $1359.144 a year.

^I think I need to divide by 100 though. :)

O__O Crap I just proved my self wrong. hahahaahaha

Still, intel runs cooler and needs 1/2 the cores to do the same stuff.

This never really goes anywhere, the best CPU always depends so many factors.

Just buy what appeals most to you.

They have better perfomance for the price but if you going for the best of the best you are probably going for Intel.

AMD makes good cpus, i have them in most of my pcs. Also i like the A variants con latop, good apu con low price

No he calculated that it would take about 20 years to make up the difference from an 80+ Bronze PSU and an 80+ Platinum PSU in power savings.

I can calculate it right now.

FX 8350:

Idle-95W

Under load-160W

i5:

Idle-96W

Under load-118W

Let's say that you use a PC for 12 hours a day. You game for 6 and you browse the web for 6. Browsing the web doesn't take to much power so we'll call that idle.

FX 8350=30KW/h a day.(or half a day since I chose 12 hours)

i5=25.68KW/h a day.

In a year that equals 10950KW/h for the FX 8350 and 9373.2KW/h for the i5.

My electric bill varies from 13KW/h in the winter to 16KW/h in the summer. So I'll just use 14.5 as an average.

FX= $1587.75 a year.

i5= $1359.144 a year.

^I think I need to divide by 100 though. :)

O__O Crap I just proved my self wrong. hahahaahaha.

The reason you messed up is units. Cost is ($/kilowatthour) * (load--wattage/1000) * (hours/day) * 365 days

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The reason you messed up is units. Cost is ($/kilowatthour) * (load--wattage/1000) * (hours/day) * 365 days

I did $Kw/h.

Some people just don't understand that gaming isn't everything... AMD makes solid cpus at a compelling price point, no reason to hate on them. Intel is more specialized in expensive but more powerful chips. Under the i5/8350 line amd is at its strongest, above that line Intel rules.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I did $Kw/h.

omg it's kW*H not kW/H! A kilowatthour is kW*H

Some people just don't understand that gaming isn't everything... AMD makes solid cpus at a compelling price point, no reason to hate on them. Intel is more specialized in expensive but more powerful chips. Under the i5/8350 line amd is at its strongest, above that line Intel rules.

Though the G3258 can certainly threaten AMD's supremacy at the lower price points too.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

FX 8320 is great for both gaming and productivity. When all 8 cores are used and overclocked it does compete with a quad core i5 at a compelling price point. 

Now if you're doing some serious workloads of course an extreme processor would suit you more.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

FX 8320 is great for both gaming and productivity. When all 8 cores are used and overclocked it does compete with a quad core i5 at a compelling price point. 

Now if you're doing some serious workloads of course an extreme processor would suit you more.

Nah, unless you're doing workstation work (in which case go with a Xeon because ECC) the 4790k > everything in the extreme series other than the 4960X, especially if you OC it to 4.7 GHz. The downside is much fewer PCIe lanes, which, unless you're gaming or doing insanity PCIe SSD with ultimate sound cards and wifi cards or even wired network cards for servers.

Though the G3258 can certainly threaten AMD's supremacy at the lower price points too.

True, but it's ONE cpu which probably won't have a followup. It still can't really compete with, say, a 6300 in video editing and multithreaded tasks (although it probably can in gaming).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Nah, unless you're doing workstation work (in which case go with a Xeon because ECC)

All vishera cpu´s support ECC unbuffered memory aswell, also all Asus 970 and 990FX chipset boards support ECC-unbuffered memory.

Also not to mention that an Xeon socket 1150 cpu does not make sense for ecc, if you are not buying a C series chipset board.

cause only C series chipset boards (sever grade) socket 1150 boards support ECC ram

True, but it's ONE cpu which probably won't have a followup. It still can't really compete with, say, a 6300 in video editing and multithreaded tasks (although it probably can in gaming).

Gaming it's proven it can, and given how well it's selling, Intel might rethink the unlocked Pentium/I3 a bit more to (at least attempt to) run AMD out of town.

All vishera cpu´s support ECC unbuffered memory aswell, also all Asus 970 and 990FX chipset boards support ECC-unbuffered memory.

Also not to mention that an Xeon socket 1150 cpu does not make sense for ecc, if you are not buying a C series chipset board.

cause only C series chipset boards (sever grade) socket 1150 boards support ECC ram

True, he would have to change boards. As per Vishera chips, I haven't personally used one, though the reviews are split down the middle in terms of favorability.

True, he would have to change boards. As per Vishera chips, I haven't personally used one, though the reviews are split down the middle in terms of favorability.

Well a FX8 core is realy a good allround chip, gaming, streaming, video rendering, virtualization. all works realy great on those chips.

Intel has better single threaded performance, on which a few games some mmo´s lean on. But those games, are still very well playable on a AMD FX.

There is just alot of nonsense that is floating arround on the internet. both have theire place in the market, but in todays newest and upcomming games, there is not much a diffrence between intel and amd at all. only a few MMO´s that run a littlebit better on intel, but they are still verywell playable on an AMD FX.

Well a FX8 core is realy a good allround chip, gaming, streaming, video rendering, virtualization. all works realy great on those chips.

Intel has better single threaded performance, on which a few games some mmo´s lean on. But those games, are still very well playable on a AMD FX.

There is just alot of nonsense that is floating arround on the internet. both have theire place in the market, but in todays newest and upcomming games, there is not much a diffrence between intel and amd at all. only a few MMO´s that run a littlebit better on intel, but they are still verywell playable on an AMD FX.

90% of games you play will perform better for intel unless they are optimized for 4+ threads. It isn't nonsense. I've been a long time AMD customer, but I'm afraid to say, a lower clocked intel CPU with the same or even less threads will perform better in most cases over an AMD bulldozer based cpu. AMD needs a comeback with their next arch in 2015

IMHO the only thing they got going for them right now is their APUs, cost in some cases, and the opteron line. 

muh specs 

All parts black