Why The Hate On AMD (Prosessors)

Just to be clear - I'm no fanboy - I would choose an Intel prosesser for gaming any day. But, I usualy choose a AMD prosesser becasue  of the good cost-proformance ratio and low heat output, and the fact that I usualy have a very limited budget. (I usualy use Nvidia GPUs because of their godly performance.)

((I once built a gaming-grade gaming computer for under $500 ((mighta been a bit more than 500 after I added 4 GB of RAM (((went from 4-8))) using entirely AMD conponent (HD 7700, 8GB RAM, Athlon II x4 640, forget the Mobo & PSU), and it suprising was a little beast.))

Any thoughts on this?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong board, just signed up.)

Who's hating on AMD processor, their good performance for the price, simple as that.

N64 HTPC: [Completed]

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5

Just to be clear - I'm no fanboy - I would choose an Intel prosesser for gaming any day. But, I usualy choose a AMD prosesser becasue  of the good cost-proformance ratio and low heat output, and the fact that I usualy have a very limited budget. (I usualy use Nvidia GPUs because of their godly performance.)

((I once built a gaming-grade gaming computer for under $500 ((mighta been a bit more than 500 after I added 4 GB of RAM (((went from 4-8))) using entirely AMD conponent (HD 7700, 8GB RAM, Athlon II x4 640, forget the Mobo & PSU), and it suprising was a little beast.))

Any thoughts on this?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong board, just signed up.)

AMD CPUs as you said are great for budget builds.

Though I have never had a AMD CPU myself, always had Intel CPUs. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

They're ok, but don't usually do as well as Intel especially TDP wise.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

i saw a video compairing the cpus.

the guy was addressing the problem of ppl saying "yeah amd is cheaper, but it burns a crap ton more power, so it cost more in the end"

its true, amd is less power efficient, but by how much

basicly, it costs more in the end if you want to use your cpu for 12 years then upgrade...... he got a 8000 series amd cpu and a 4770k, OC'ed both of them to 4.8GHz and tested power.

since amd is about $80-120 cheaper, to burn that extra left over ~$100 it would take you about 10 years.

in the end, if both cpus were to be used for 10 years, you would have spent the same price on both, although amd was ALOT cheaper to begin with

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Power hungry. (100W+)

not nessacary, they make some that are 95 watt, like the FX-4300, but then again there are some 220watt ones xD

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Welcome. Please read the Code of Conduct lined in my signature.

I don't see the hate. Intel just has more market share. Amd usually makes very good price to performance parts but they often are warm running and can't compete with the lower thermals and better per cor and per clock performance of many intel parts. Take for example the 4670k and fx 8320. The 4670k beats the 8320 in benchmarks. It has half the cores and a lower clockspeed. It also costs more. Amd likes to take less powerful cores and ramps up the clockspeed and puts a ton of them on each chip. It really comes down to your budget and needs. As of now amd has nothing to compete with intels x79 platform. it also has nothing as expensive. Just my thoughts and observations. Please take with a grain of salt as many would consider me biased, I have intel in my laptop, desktop, and all of my servers; but i have amd in my siblings rigs, my parents rigs, and the one of the bunch I build from scratch my grandpas rig. It has a 6300 and a gt640. It was a good combo for what he needed. 

:) Enjoy the forum and don't hesitate to ask questions and pm me personally if you want my advice in particular. 

Where do they have a low heat output?

Nobody hates on the AMD chips (except if you read Youtube and Facebook comments, but don't get your tech knowledge from there), they are good performing value options.

not nessacary, they make some that are 95 watt, like the FX-4300, but then again there are some 220watt ones xD

And intel always under 84W. It's all about saving da world mang!

I think people are just pissed that AMD hasn't been focusing on or has released CPUs that can combat Intel's. They do, however, have wicked APUs which aren't that beneficial to high-end users, yet, and might not be for a long time. That being said, if they can in like 5 years, have APUs with CPUs and GPUs being the time period's equivalent to a mid-high end CPU and GPU - an i5 and a GTX 760 or R9 280 - then that'd be amazing. For now, APUs are cool, but with their prices and the existence of Athlon X4 and more powerful GPU combos, it's still a weird tech. On a really tight budget, APUs are great. Anyway, we'll see in 2015 and 2016.

The other reason is this: people are stupid.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Anything above the FX 8320, just isn't at a competitive price point. Any Intel cpu priced competitively will outperform it in most games. Yes there are rare exceptions.

I should be studying.

AMD CPUs as you said are great for budget builds.

Yeah, I put the II X4 from the budget build in my current one (with a 680), still works great.

Where do they have a low heat output?

In my II X4, the hottest Ive seen it get is about 60C under full load torture, my 680 easily gets +76C.

The other reason is this: people are stupid.

Exactly. There are a very low percentage of pepole who even bother to do even 30 secs of critical thinking before speaking/posting. I have seemed to notice that a high number of those pepole tend to come here.

Edit: (By 'here' I mean Linus Tech Tips, not this thread)

Three words

Pin Grid Array

In all seriousness I am, given the leaks/rumors surrounding the coming AMD cpus, including their own version of hyperthreading, hopeful they will again be a direct challenge to intel performance, not just a cost saving option. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

OK dude.

First off, just because you're supporting AMD, doesn't necessarily mean that you will be branded a fanboy. Especially in this forum, where we are expected to be civilized unlike those over at the hellholes of Tom's Hardware and PCPartPicker. And those who would pollute LTT with uneducated, narrow-minded fanboy talk deserve to be banned.

Secondly, most of the hate in fact comes from uneducated Intel fanboys who believe that Intel is and always will be #1, that Intel is god, that AMD is single-handedly crushed in every department. I think those fanboys need to be reminded of the Prescott days, when the roles were the polar opposite of what they are now: Intel made the hot, loud and slow chips, and AMD single-handedly crushed them. So, throwback to the Prescott days, before the advent of Core 2 Duo.

There are a few problems with AMD processors. AMD made a huge gamble with Bulldozer, thinking that deviating from traditional SMT would yield great performance. Of course, this isn't what happened, and it's why AMD is struggling to catch up. Their single-core design and performance (single-thread performance, IPC, whatever you call it) was greatly set back because of the new architecture. Since Bulldozer, AMD's CMT architecture has come a long way through the various improvements brought by Piledriver (FX-8300/6300/4300, A10-5000/6000 series) and Steamroller (A10-7000 series) which have greatly optimized the architecture to better compete with Intel's Core lineup. Except in the most CPU-bound workloads like Arma3 (can't blame AMD here, Arma is always a horribly optimized game), FX is quite capable.

Now, here's where we have to draw the line between objective views and fanboyism. The claim that AMD is cooler-running is simply not true. 32nm process is only partly to blame. AMD is quite behind the curve in terms of power consumption and heat; I'm not exactly sure what causes this other than 32nm, because Steamroller is a 28nm part and it still draws considerable power compared to Haswell quad-cores. AMD also makes really bad temp sensors in their CPUs, which causes absurd idle temperature readings such as 8°C under a AIO cooler, which isn't physically possible unless you live in an extremely cold environment. You also can't compare a GPU to a CPU; just because your GTX 680 runs hotter doesn't mean that your Athlon X4 is cool.

Not sure what you mean by "godly performance" on Nvidia's part; their GTX 700 lineup is pretty damn overpriced compared to their R9 counterparts, and with the exception of Nvidia's optimizations and PhysX in certain Nvidia-supported games, the lower cards generally get wholly whipped by AMD at the moment. GTX 660 is inferior and more expensive than the R9 270/270X, GTX 760 is generally slower than the R9 280, GTX 770 is about the same as the R9 280X but has 1GB less VRAM and is priced a weird $30-80 higher. Of course AMD doesn't have as powerful a single-GPU card as the GTX 780 Ti, but the Titan Z is a $3000 joke compared to the R9 295X2. Lower than the GTX 750 Ti (which loses out to the R7 265, but that's another story), Nvidia has nothing to compete with the likes of the R7 250X/260/260X, which are generally the same card as they can offer the same price point at times.

Anyway, I digress. AMD makes good parts, but I believe that they need to work harder to regain the top spot on the market. It has been proven in the past that they can be top gun and beat Intel; however, they have a lot to improve before that happens, namely power consumption, smaller process, better thermal management, better boards & chipsets, etc.

And intel always under 84W. It's all about saving da world mang!

explain how having a hotter cpu is destroying the world?

Here in BC canada we have "BC hydro" (electricity company) its run all off of hydro dams, we dont have reactors, or burn fossil fuels. 

explain how having a hotter cpu is destroying the world?

Here in BC canada we have "BC hydro" (electricity company) its run all off of hydro dams, we dont have reactors, or burn fossil fuels. 

I'm talking about using more wattage. That uses more power. Over time, it adds up. The US also uses hydroelectric power as well as others.

i saw a video compairing the cpus.

the guy was addressing the problem of ppl saying "yeah amd is cheaper, but it burns a crap ton more power, so it cost more in the end"

its true, amd is less power efficient, but by how much

basicly, it costs more in the end if you want to use your cpu for 12 years then upgrade...... he got a 8000 series amd cpu and a 4770k, OC'ed both of them to 4.8GHz and tested power.

since amd is about $80-120 cheaper, to burn that extra left over ~$100 it would take you about 10 years.

in the end, if both cpus were to be used for 10 years, you would have spent the same price on both, although amd was ALOT cheaper to begin with

and a lot slower! 

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

and a lot slower! 

-_- no, no... 

take a $150 cpu from both companies, the amd one will have a faster clock speed and most likely more cores. mainly because $150 only really buys a i3 where as $130 can buy a nice FX 6300(or better) which has 6 cores at 3.6ghz.

i a bit disagree with some things up here lol.

- I love my FX8350

- it performs realy well

- I can does everything i trow at it very smoothly

- i can play every game on it, very smoothly

Last but not least!!

- it also heats up my room, so i dont need to put my heating on during cold day´s

So why is it less power efficient?  lol :D

-_- no, no... 

take a $150 cpu from both companies, the amd one will have a faster clock speed and most likely more cores. mainly because $150 only really buys a i3 where as $130 can buy a nice FX 6300(or better) which has 6 cores at 3.6ghz.

The i3 would be better for gaming and single thread performance. 

Higher clockrate != better performance. All to do with arch. 

Not hating on Amd or anything, but it is the truth. 

You can overclock the 6300 though. 

Amd will get a boost when multithreaded gaming finally goes past 4 threads for average games. Additionally when they finally drop bulldozer. 

The reason the 6 cores is not better for gaming is the same reason an i7 will not provide any advantage over an i5 with half the threads. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

The hate on AMD was basically a product of how reddit and by extension the internet works.  After a couple disappointing first reviews of the 8350, reddit and the internet at large just began to shat on AMD for making an inferior processor.

While Logan did stir some crap up when he did that whole 8350 isn't so bad video, it did manage to get people to rethink the 8350 and see it as the chip it really was.  But of course some people on the internet always refuse to listen, so there's still huge arguments about this topic.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

The hate on AMD was basically a product of how reddit and by extension the internet works.  After a couple disappointing first reviews of the 8350, reddit and the internet at large just began to shat on AMD for making an inferior processor.

While Logan did stir some crap up when he did that whole 8350 isn't so bad video, it did manage to get people to rethink the 8350 and see it as the chip it really was.  But of course some people on the internet always refuse to listen, so there's still huge arguments about this topic.

The thing is AMD really has been crap since bulldozer. All of the arcs since bulldozer are just bulldozer revisions. AMD took a gamble with the R&D of bulldozer and lost. Price is really the only reason to get them. 

~2015 Amd will prob have a completely new arc, and it sounds good. I'm hopeful AMD will once again become a competitor for performance against Intel's top CPUs. 

I'd like to see that. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I take offense to AMD's marketing of core numbers (which are false) and that they have fooled people into thinking the overall platform cost is lower due to letting board partners use lower quality components (especially caps and chokes) in motherboards; leading to very high failure rates. Plus, their chipsets are feature-bare.

I mean there are some AMD motherboards with 2-layered PCB and garbage VRMs that people overclock on, absolutely horrifying.

If you're buying into an AMD platform, at least overlook the absolute entry level motherboards.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.