How much do you care about the sound level of your pc?

Mao_Zedong

For me it depends, I ramp up me fans to max when im gaming, just to annoy everyone close to my room (I'm wearing headphones) but when im just browsing the web and such I turn them down to minimum speeds

So I can put anything here?

I would love to permanently silence my computer, but I plain can't afford it. Luckily, most of my parts are near silent at idle anyway. 

I care about having a quiet PC because i dont always use my headset, most of the time its comfier and more convenient to not wear your headset. I also believe that in owning a PC that you spend a lot of time and money into it, you want the best.. soreally i dont see why you wouldnt want a quiet PC.

The quieter, the better. Mine's actually a bit noisy, though, since I don't have the money to make it as quiet as I'd want. I just wear earphones or IEMs most of the time, though, so yeah...

I'm a 3.

It must be so silent that, while idle it cannot be heard and while under load be silent enough that someone 5 metres away doesn't hear it. However, no self-respecting gamer can ever game with a 100% silent pc.

My PC is in my living room, 5 metres away from the TV and right next to the door to the bedroom and I wear the headset all the time while gaming so I find that the people that are the most annoyed with PC noise are not the gamers but the ones around him/her...

I am aware that the most noisy thing about a gaming computer is actually the gamer smashing keys and shouting at teammates, but the PC noise can be quite irritating.

I don't really care how loud it is, as long as it stays as cool as possible. My case also has noise dampening on the side panels, so its hard to hear even when I'm running 100%.

It's hard to say... I think for me it's more of a luxury thing. If I could have it very very quiet then yea I would but... it's not really a big deal to me. Probably helps that I live on my own. Curious if people with families want a much quieter PC

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

I don't particularly care aslong as my 780Ti's stay cool. They make all the noise. The rest of my fans are quiet. My keyboard is more annoying though.

2, maybe 1.

I wear closed headphones but still i care a lot about silence. I even sacrifice performance for it. That's why i only use bequiet stuff and air cooling only! I won't liquid cool unless pumpless coolers have advanced. I also don't OC much to keep the fan RPMs down.

I consider changing my HDD and small SSD for a large SSD, primarily to eleminate the vibrations, not to get speed.

My NAS has a terrible fan control. It sits 3 m away from me, i even changed the fan to a noctua 40mm fan but i can still distinct it from other noise when i wear my headphones and it annoys me.

My GPU is just temporily in my PC. Reference designs suck. The MSI TwinFrozr cooler has been my go-to cooler when it comes to GPUs but i consider to, again, take the extra step and mod a Prolimatech MK 26 + bequiet fans on my next GPU.

A regular fan controler like the one in the Define R4 or even sth. like a bitfenix Recon just don't cut it for me. They are terrible to control fan speeds automatically. That's why i switched to the ultimate uber solution -> mCubed T-Balancer bigNG.

A completeley passive PC would be too much of a sacrifice for me, which is why i would still consider me a 2 on the scale. :P

who cares...

Still saving for those noctuas and a good heatsink... that damn stock amd cooler is killing me ! :/

depends what I'm doing, if gaming I'll put gpu n case fans to 100, it's still not too loud, but when browsing or on ps i like it all silent 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

I used to think I wouldn't mind so much, until recently when removing dust from my machine, when putting a fan back in I decided to invert it (was exhaust, made intake). 

for some reason that caused it to make a really loud whining sound, as apposed to the dull humming I had before which was tolerable.

even with headphones with volume most of the way up I could hear it and it drove me mad, until I switched that fan back around and it went back to normal. 

so really, for me it's not so much how much noise it makes as what kind of sound. 

a case and fan upgrade is probably still necessary though. using some old thermal-take case and I can't get the dust out of the fans. (and zero cable management options doesn't help airflow either ): )

CPU: Intel i7 4770 Cooler: Stock Motherboard: MSI Z87 G41 PC Mate Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB GPU: MSI GTX 780 PSU: Corsair HX 620W CASE: Thermaltake V9

I am probably a 3 or so. I used to not really care, but a fairly quiet PC has become increasingly attractive to me. Even though I usually wear closed headphones, it's nice to have a quiet PC for when nothing is playing or my headphones are off. The noise of a PC can get annoying when doing work without headphones in the 5+ range.

PC: Ryzen 5 2600 // 16 GB Corsair 3200 // MSI RX 580 8 GB // 500 GB WD Blue M.2 (sata) // Silverstone Raven RVZ03B // Fedora 33

LAPTOP: i7 5700HQ // 16 GB Kingston 1866 // GTX 970M // 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 // 1 TB HDD // Windows 10

ETC: (2) Dell U2515H (2560x1440) // Corsair K63 // Logitech G603 // FiiO E10 // Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO (250 ohm) // Audio Technica ATH-M60x

Personally I dont mind a bit of noise in use and i excpect it to get louder playing games, but I would like to get all noctuas and watercool it for dat silence.

CPU: Intel i5 3330 @3.6ghz
GPU: EVGA GTX960 SSC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix 4GB (1x4GB)

MOBO: Asus P8Z77 V-LX

PSU: Corsair CX500m
CASE: NZXT H440

loud enough to know if it's running after I hit the power button but quite enough to not hearing it while I'm working on it.

If I'm gaming I can handle a bit of noise from gpu since I'll probably have my speakers on. also very quite while idling, since I left him on during nights for downloads and stuff

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

Silent enough so I can go to sleep.

Video-editor, tutorialist and gamer.
#killedmywife @LinusTech
-- Find me on: YouTube | Facebook

If the sound it makes is the sound of airflow trough my superior machine, then it can be as soundful as tornado! :D

I don't care that much. When i am gaming or listening to music on speakers i can't hear my pc and its pretty loud. I don't even have enough money to optimize my pc for silence so i can't care :C

2 - My computer is fairly annoying sound wise. I would really like something quieter. Doesn't have to be completely silent. Just a more pleasant low tone would work great.

The thing is I have had HSFs that have made noise like jet planes and it didn't bother and I don't even wear the headsets we have.  I think more often than not noise does not bother me but I would prefer it not be there and I sure as heck would not tolerate coil whine from a psu.  I know that much.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

As long as I don't hear it with my headphones on it's fine

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

I use open-air headphones, coupled with my desire for as quiet a system as possible puts me on #2.

I really don't think a system should be loud if I can help it.

Well, considering that my PC sounds like a Jetta TDI, I love quiet computers.

I'm a 2 or 3.

Yeah just wait till you get a PC that sounds like a Nissan Leaf.

"Rawr XD"

how much i care about sound depends on where i am..... B) 
my workstation/browsing pc is whisper quiet, even on full load, but it only has one fan(not counting the psu), the cpu fan, here extra noise will bother me  :mellow: 

my gaming rig however is silent when not under load, under load u can just barely hear the fans, here noise doesn't matter to me, i usually have on headphones when gaming. other than gaming, i don't do anything that can put load on that rig.......  :lol:

Since i finished my PC ive really gotten used to a quiet PC. It's really nice to have since i sleep in the same room that i have my PC. But then again i relly don't mind since i sleep with a large metal fan on during the summer.

Paintball, my anti-drug. Because when you play paintball, how could you possibly afford drugs?!?