How much do you care about the sound level of your pc?

Mao_Zedong

I won't have to deal with my Jetta TDI for much longer. Z97 here I come.

My 20th anniversary pentium came today and teh MB should be here tomorrow.

My 20th anniversary pentium came today and teh MB should be here tomorrow.

There had better be a build log for this, or you are in trouble.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I care a lot but I've got a problem right now. I've gone to a lot of effort making my PC quiet and as it's summer I'm having to use a noisy fan to cool me down xD. Kindof defeats my hundreds to make my PC quiet xDD.

The solution is a fractal design r4, and noctua fans at lower rpm.

So, not 100% silent. I actually just put together a rig using a Define R4 (nop Noctua fans, though), looking for that perfect compromise between low noise and cooling. Curious to see the result...

I beg to differ, I cannot hear my PC whatsoever nor can the other 3 people in my house that have seen my PC after I watercooled it. With headphones on or without them on, it makes zero noise over ambient noises other than the HDD.  ( Which I plan on replacing with an SSD very soon)

I run my MCP-655 pump at the lowest setting, and it sits on top of 4 pieces of Styrofoam to not transfer vibrations anywere. On top of the pump being at the lowest setting, I run my GT AP-14's at 600 RPM.   I have an EVGA 1000 p2 power supply, that is 100% passive regardless of load, until it hits 45 C internal temp, and the fans in my bottom radiator deliver it fresh cold air the entire time, so it never actually turns the fan on.

I sit about 1/4 of a meter away from my PC as well, and my room is secluded from every other room in the house, yet I still can't hear anything but the HDD, unplugging the HDD makes it completely disappear.  I have tested at 4 am when nothing is making noise in my neighborhood/ my house, by turning my PC off, and back on multiple times without the HDD plugged in, and I can't hear anything.

That's pretty cool! Seriously.

How much do you think the stirofoams helps the noise reduction? If you would take them out, would there be any increase in the noise?

But the point of my previous post is: can you get actual top performance in demanding games with a completely silent rig? Aren't you sacrificing FPS's for dB's?... ;) Can you get, for example, more than 50 fps in, say, Tomb Raider at 1080p? Or something similar...?

So, not 100% silent. I actually just put together a rig using a Define R4 (nop Noctua fans, though), looking for that perfect compromise between low noise and cooling. Curious to see the result...

How much do you think the stirofoams helps the noise reduction? If you would take them out, would there be any increase in the noise?

But the point of my previous post is: can you get actual top performance in demanding games with a completely silent rig? Aren't you sacrificing FPS's for dB's?... ;) Can you get, for example, more than 50 fps in, say, Tomb Raider at 1080p? Or something similar...?

its impossible to have a perfectly silent computer, if you do what i said it would be unnoticeable at a normal distance

I was running two 780's previously with the same fan speeds at 1440p I was averaging ~100 fps on 90% of the games I played at ultra.

I'm downgrading my PC though because I want something smaller.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

There had better be a build log for this, or you are in trouble.

I'll see what I can do the builds not going to be anything amazing and is probably going to have a bunch of hand me down parts for now.

I used to not care about sound, then I got a nocuta cooler and it seems to be the most important thing ever. I typically don't use headphones, and prefer speakers in game so as long as it's pretty quiet I'm happy. 

im not a headphones fan.. i used to have for ages gtx 480.. and one day i decied to down voltage&core so temps were under 65degree and the fan at 53%... then was when i changed my mind :D A huge release.. like a reborn lol xD ..

I'm wearing headphones, I have 2 12" electric fans in the room, and I have really noisy neighbors so I don't notice the noise that my PC makes...