Fan Orientation and Graphics Card Placement

BlueElement

Recently I upgraded my GPU to an EVGA 780 ti w/ their ACX cooler. I've noticed that the fans make some pretty strange noises and I was wondering if this was due to it struggling for air. Would it be better to place it in the top PCIe slot? Also is my fan orientation good in general? (Front 200mm intake, rear 120mm exhaust, push pull on hyper 212, PSU pointed down). Thanks in advance for your help.

post-3926-0-60097400-1404151104_thumb.jp

Sorry for horrible quality, Nexus 4's camera isn't great.

CPU: 3570K @ 4.2 | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: EVGA GTX 780ti ACX SC | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Monitor: Asus PB278Q | Sound: ATH-M50X | Mic: Blue Snowball

Why is your cpu fans pointed down? Surely you know heat rises ?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Why would you put your video card in the bottom 16x slot? ._.

Put it in the top one, it'll get good airflow and it's going to get full 16x bandwidth for sure, but check if the back of the video card will touch the bottom fan on your Hyper 212, it's probably not going to be anything bad, because that ring on Corsair SP fans in plastic, but, just to check... The fan orientations are pretty good, you should have neutral to positive air pressure inside, so it's not bad.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Put your video card in the top slot. Remount your CPU cooler so it is exhausting air towards your exhaust case fan. That way you CPU cooler is not directly drawing in the hot air from the video card.

Why is your cpu fans pointed down? Surely you know heat rises ?

They aren't pointed down. They exhaust out the top.

CPU: 3570K @ 4.2 | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: EVGA GTX 780ti ACX SC | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Monitor: Asus PB278Q | Sound: ATH-M50X | Mic: Blue Snowball

Why would you put your video card in the bottom 16x slot? ._.

Put it in the top one, it'll get good airflow and it's going to get full 16x bandwidth for sure, but check if the back of the video card will touch the bottom fan on your Hyper 212, it's probably not going to be anything bad, because that ring on Corsair SP fans in plastic, but, just to check... The fan orientations are pretty good, you should have neutral to positive air pressure inside, so it's not bad.

I'll do this. Do you really think there will be a performance difference from moving it? I also feel that this would substantially decrease the performance of the Hyper 212. Now it will only draw extremely hot air from the 780 ti. Should I point the 212 towards the back like King_Gamma said?

They aren't pointed down. They exhaust out the top.

Yeah, reread it. I completely ignored the "PSU" part and thought you had your cpu fans pointed downward lol. Was like "dafuq?"

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

I'll do this. Do you really think there will be a performance difference from moving it? I also feel that this would substantially decrease the performance of the Hyper 212. Now it will only draw extremely hot air from the 780 ti. Should I point the 212 towards the back like King_Gamma said?

Yeah, it'd be a good idea to do that with the 212.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Put your video card in the top slot. Remount your CPU cooler so it is exhausting air towards your exhaust case fan. That way you CPU cooler is not directly drawing in the hot air from the video card.

I think I will try this. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, reread it. I completely ignored the "PSU" part and thought you had your cpu fans pointed downward lol. Was like "dafuq?"

Lol okay. No, I figured the best way to cool my GPU was to shoot the hot air directly from my CPU onto it (sarcasm).

If you don't have fans on top helping to exhaust, there isn't really point using cooler in horizontal orientation. You could have rear as intake if you want to keep it in that way however.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv