[D] Coolants

This is the third weekly discussion topic. This discussion is going to be about water-cooling coolants. There is a lot of disagreement about what coolant is best. Let’s see what we can come up with in this thread. For more discussions and an explanation of them click HERE

I am a coolant guy. One of the reasons I opt for coolant is because distilled water is hard to find in the UK. Also because it is pre-mixed I find there is less hassle with using kill coils etc.

What do you use in terms of coolant and why?

Post-Discussion Notes

T'was an interesting discussion. Ended up with mercury being the best coolant you can get. ;)

Worth a read.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I use mayhems pastel red, because biocides and anti-corrosives are included, it does not retain bubbles and I like the chalky color

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I use mayhems pastel red, because biocides and anti-corrosives are included, it does not retain bubbles and I like the chalky color

Have you had any issues with the pastel coolant?

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Have you had any issues with the pastel coolant?

None so far, I've only had it for 3weeks

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Well as i have easy access to distilled water and a AIO coolant additive is cheaper than almost all pre-mix coolants..I have chosen this. I change my "coolant" often and find the cost easier to bare. 

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

I have always used EK Coolant mixes. Work well, keep color, don't stain to badly and are a good buy. I typically buy distilled water from drug store though for flushing and rinsing...

Why coolant - typically I like the colors and I really don't want to worry about mixing in a dye... biocide or a kill coil, etc. I always use clear tubing...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

i use simple distilled water and mayhems biocide (no kill coils).

seems to work in all tubing types and metals in normal loops.

have used 3mo intervals, 6mo intervals and 12mo intervals with

no issues. i've since moved from using color or dye coolants, because

of compatibility issues and hardware manufacturers warranty statements.

airdeano

compatibility issues and hardware manufacturers warranty statements.

Tell us more :o

This is the third weekly discussion topic. This discussion is going to be about water-cooling coolants. There is a lot of disagreement about what coolant is best. Let’s see what we can come up with in this thread. For more discussions and an explanation of them click HERE

I am a coolant guy. One of the reasons I opt for coolant is because distilled water is hard to find in the UK. Also because it is pre-mixed I find there is less hassle with using kill coils etc.

What do you use in terms of coolant and why?

I'm sorry but i find it somewhat hard to believe :huh: (I thought the same as you but i had it EVERYWHERE)

You know you can find some better than that at your local pharmacy? I'm gonna use that and some anti-freeze (for the car) and some drop of additives (to help with algae) :ph34r:

But sandpaper for lapping the cpu in the other hand.. xD

I use it because it's the cheapest for me and a couple of my friends said it was the best to use. He said and i quote: "If you want any color just use colored tubing".

Edit:

But DAYUM the Mayhems coolant looks awesome :D

Edited by crunzaty

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

I use mayhems pastel red because I trust mayhems only I have try a lot of coolants and mayhems last better and there colours are almost amazing another reason is there dyes.

You can't walk out of your own story - Rango

I'm sorry but i find it somewhat hard to believe :huh: (I thought the same as you but i had it EVERYWHERE)

You know you can find some better than that at your local pharmacy?

You can get de-ionized car battery water from "car" stores but that's about all I could find. And that's not distilled water.

If I had the money to watercool then I'd use mayhems pastel. It just looks outstanding!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I'm using Mayhem's Paster Light Red for about 4 months now and no problems so far. ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

You can get de-ionized car battery water from "car" stores but that's about all I could find. And that's not distilled water.

Yeah, but it should be better :)

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

I always get the same distilled water for my loop, Australia company Glendale Distilled water that I pick up from Big W. Awesome stuff and it actually is distilled water not deionized, like a few bucks for a 4 litre bottle

Add in a killcoil and a few drops of primochill liquid utopia and that's all. I just use coloured tubing to go with my colour scheme but if I go to crystal link in future I'll probably get mayhems

So for anyone looking for distilled water in Australia, Big W's car section. Should have Glendale Distilled water.

That's interesting

It is actually very interesting. Using antifreeze lowers the boiling point of the coolant. This makes it a much more effective coolant. I was talking to a forum user previously who knew very exactly how this works but proposed doing this with glycerol (, and in fact uses glycerol in his own coolant). Hopefully he can come and explain this in detail. If anything I will condense his PM and put it here. ;)

It is actually very interesting. Using antifreeze lowers the boiling point of the coolant. This makes it a much more effective coolant. I was talking to a forum user previously who knew very exactly how this works but proposed doing this with glycerol (, and in fact uses glycerol in his own coolant). Hopefully he can come and explain this in detail. If anything I will condense his PM and put it here. ;)

More information is definitely a must, I look forward to that post.

Tell us more :o

The are a few risks like corrosion if you add to much to the water but I really don't want to say anything in case I muddle something up.

EK & Mayhem's is all i use.

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

There are three "families" of antrifreeze, because regulations and climate is not the same everywhere, but an antifreeze is basically glycol (or sometimes propanol or even sometimes methanol) and additives. The additives can vary. There are additives based on silicates, but those will do damage in a PC cooling loop, there are also additives based on phosphates, but those are not very environmentally friendly, remains additives based on various organic compounds, which are also the most used for warm weather engines, like motorbikes or racing cars, and that's the good stuff, because with those things, you get all the things you need in a PC cooling loop (anti-corrosives/anti-acids), but none of the stuff you don't need (like lubricants, sealants, frost protection, metal bonding anti-corrosion, etc) But the main thing is still glycol. Alcohol and water together form an azeotropic solution which opens up some nice possibilities for PC cooling. I'll post tomorrow morning what I PM'ed earlier specifically adapted to this thread, but I didn't have time today (just got back home and it's after 2 AM, so it'll have to wait), so please bare with me.

There are three "families" of antrifreeze, because regulations and climate is not the same everywhere, but an antifreeze is basically glycol (or sometimes propanol or even sometimes methanol) and additives. The additives can vary. There are additives based on silicates, but those will do damage in a PC cooling loop, there are also additives based on phosphates, but those are not very environmentally friendly, remains additives based on various organic compounds, which are also the most used for warm weather engines, like motorbikes or racing cars, and that's the good stuff, because with those things, you get all the things you need in a PC cooling loop (anti-corrosives/anti-acids), but none of the stuff you don't need (like lubricants, sealants, frost protection, metal bonding anti-corrosion, etc) But the main thing is still glycol. Alcohol and water together form an azeotropic solution which opens up some nice possibilities for PC cooling. I'll post tomorrow morning what I PM'ed earlier specifically adapted to this thread, but I didn't have time today (just got back home and it's after 2 AM, so it'll have to wait), so please bare with me.

I've seen this thing on another forum with the same information. So i decided to use it in my water-cooling setup :)

Sterile water from the pharmacy

And this: http://www.jula.no/frostvaske-1-l-622003

I don't know if anybody understands Norwegian/Swedish or Danish but yeah: (With some help from google translate because i'm lazy)

An antifreeze and corrosion protection recommended for most cooling systems. Does not contain amine, nitrate, phosphate or silicate. Concentrated. Volume: 1 l

So my question to you, thats what you mean right? without any additives whatsoever :)

Koolance Fluorescent Red Liquid Coolant

Had It in my loop for about a year now, No issues

I've seen this thing on another forum with the same information. So i decided to use it in my water-cooling setup :)

Sterile water from the pharmacy

And this: http://www.jula.no/frostvaske-1-l-622003

I don't know if anybody understands Norwegian/Swedish or Danish but yeah: (With some help from google translate because i'm lazy)

An antifreeze and corrosion protection recommended for most cooling systems. Does not contain amine, nitrate, phosphate or silicate. Concentrated. Volume: 1 l

So my question to you, thats what you mean right? without any additives whatsoever :)

It says concentrated but not how concentrated, so that's an unknown factor. It also doesn't say what the freezing temp is, which would be the same info but different.

But if you would know the concentration, that would probably be suitable.

I'll explain the azeotropic solution thing as soon as I can get behind my keyboard long enough, apparently God and/or Jesus are having some kind of a party today, and you probably all know or can imagine how that goes in catholic families, they all expect a miraculous multiplication of loaves and fish and wine when it's a God Party Day, and I have to cater for that until they all can go home and watch soccer or something. Won't be too long lol, very sorry for leaving you guys hanging a bit longer. Wish I knew what Jesus-event is celebrated today, I'm feeding and entertaining people in my house and I don't know what for lol.