Should I get an SSD?

Apothem

Been posting about my build that ill start ordering parts for the past few days. And everyone keeps telling me I NEED an SSD, but if im not really interested in boot time for windows are there any other advantages for gaming, or should i just stick to my HDD?

You don't NEED it, but it's an awesome experience. At the very least have your OS on it, and your frequently used programs too if you can.

The general responsiveness of your OS will improve greatly. Boot times and program load times are also advantages but TBH I don't really care as I don't use many big programs, only Illustrator and Photoshop from time to time. If I was you I would just get a 64GB good SSD for your OS and a few games.

"An Excellent Signature"

For gaming you'll see fast load times. This is especially useful for mmo games or games which have you load game maps frequently. Personally I would get it for the fast boot times and fast load times of applications.

Across the vast and majestic gulf of time and space, the jimmies rustle softly.

The general responsiveness of your OS will improve greatly. Boot times and program load times are also advantages but TBH I don't really care as I don't use many big programs, only Illustrator and Photoshop from time to time. If I was you I would just get a 64GB good SSD for your OS and a few games.

ahh ok thanks, it doesnt affect fps does it? just the load times

What is your budget, and what will you need to be storing on your drives?

Yes, everybody should have an SSD. If you don't think you need one, you will only be more amazed at how it transforms your experience. Almost everything loads in 1/10 the time, it's a dramatic difference. I haven't seen your other threads, but an SSD should find it's way into all but the most budget of builds.

Desktop - Custom watercooled R4E/i7 3930k/GTX 780 SLI/32gb 2400mhz DDR3/Xonar STX/OCZ V4 256gb RAID 0/24tb RAID 5

Laptop - Clevo P370EM - i7 3630QM/GTX 680M SLI/8gb 1866mhz DDR3/840 pro 256gb RAID 0/750gb mechanical

Try one if you can, you'll hate yourself for not getting even a small 60-90 gb one

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

ahh ok thanks, it doesnt affect fps does it? just the load times

It has no effect on framerates, but it does drastically affect load times for games and the like.

It's an upgrade I always recommend no matter what. SSDs these days are getting cheaper and everyone should have a 120GB or bigger SSD in their system these days. It improves the snappiness of your system by quite a bit and it's a worth while investment since it'll last more then 4 years and by that time you would have upgraded to a even faster more cheaper SSD. Get one you won't regret it :)

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

It should be noted that they aren't worth it for storing data that will not be frequently accessed, at least at this time.

how many gigs is windows 7, im on a mac right now, and will it fit windows and bf3 + bf4

15 - 20 GBs :) And yes it will fit BF3 + BF4 too.

thanks alot, any reccomendation for the brand?

BF3 is around 30+ GB so we can only guess BF4 will be the same or bigger. Windows 7 I think is about 7-9Gb.

\

i would personally say no less then 120gb ssd so you have space for all your programs and games with enough free space

brand i would say samsung 840 or 840 pro

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

Samsung 840 120gb is under $100 everywhere I've looked, that's a genuinely great price for a fast 120gb SSD. My first Vertex 2 120gb cost almost $600 and I never regretted that....

Desktop - Custom watercooled R4E/i7 3930k/GTX 780 SLI/32gb 2400mhz DDR3/Xonar STX/OCZ V4 256gb RAID 0/24tb RAID 5

Laptop - Clevo P370EM - i7 3630QM/GTX 680M SLI/8gb 1866mhz DDR3/840 pro 256gb RAID 0/750gb mechanical

Plenty of good brands out there. I would recommend Samsung, Intel, OCZ or Corsair.

The Samsung 840 will be good enough if you're not looking for the best. It only performs slightly slower compared to it's older brother the 840 Pro

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

You don't NEED it, but it does just make things quicker... You could just go with a little one and use it as Cache though?!

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Wew boy there pretty expensive, i might wait for christmas or something lol

Basically everything you have on the SSD will be MUCH quicker. I'd say any system being built today should have the OS on an SSD.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend an SSD. In all the builds I do now, I pretty much include an SSD. With the prices coming down and performance boost is an amazing experience, it's one of my must haves for a system nowdays, even if it's a small SSD just for OS. It's one of the biggest benefits you can get in today's systems.

You don't NEED it, but it's an awesome experience. At the very least have your OS on it, and your frequently used programs too if you can.

exactly

Defo try and consider fitting one into your build. It's a must have for any high end system and you will surely notice the difference immediately.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?