Can I use my External Drive as a Internal?

GrantSor+1
Go to solution Solved by ManWithBeard1990,

There's no real reason not to run it via USB if you want to, other than the fact that it'll be quite slow. As others said, if you can take the enclosure apart easily, inside you'll find a regular harddrive that you can use like any other SATA drive. The picture you've provided suggest you may not even have to do that. If your SATA data and power connectors are thin enough they should just fit with that USB-to-SATA bridge removed. And it'll work just fine if you have a place to mount it.

Well I'm thinking of building another budget build but this time im using my Seagate Back-Up Plus External Hard Drive(SRD0P0) as my internal too save money and soon upgrade to an SSD

Heres a photo of the Model http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fullimage.php?image=55521

What connector/Adapter should I buy? Or I should use the USB Connector instead?

i5 4690k @ 3.5Ghz | Stock Cooler :/ | ECS Gank Machine Z87H3-A2X EXTREME | Gskill RipjawsX 8GB 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 960 100th ME 2GB | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Seasonic m12ii evo 750W | Razer Modded Phantom 410

Do you want it as a boot drive?

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

You can pry it open, and you will find a standard 3.5 inch drive inside of it, with a pcb attached to it to allow the USB interface. You can disconnect the pcb from it and there, you can not install it into your case as a typical internal drive.

Do you want it as a boot drive?

Yep but only temporarily until i save up for a SSD 

i5 4690k @ 3.5Ghz | Stock Cooler :/ | ECS Gank Machine Z87H3-A2X EXTREME | Gskill RipjawsX 8GB 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 960 100th ME 2GB | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Seasonic m12ii evo 750W | Razer Modded Phantom 410

Yep but only temporarily until i save up for a SSD 

You'll have to remove the HDD from the enclosure because running a USB-drive as your boot drive is not a good idea.

You can, you need one of these and make sure your pc has an eSATA port.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

There's no real reason not to run it via USB if you want to, other than the fact that it'll be quite slow. As others said, if you can take the enclosure apart easily, inside you'll find a regular harddrive that you can use like any other SATA drive. The picture you've provided suggest you may not even have to do that. If your SATA data and power connectors are thin enough they should just fit with that USB-to-SATA bridge removed. And it'll work just fine if you have a place to mount it.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Thanks for the reply guys! I appreciate it :D

GLHF