Pairs of headphones keep breaking quickly, what's my problem?

VG Docs

I'm sick and tired of having to buy new pairs of headphones every couple of years. Recently, both my Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1 headset and my Skullcandy earbuds became unusable (Headset was over time, skullcandy was sudden). I don't know much about headphones, but aren't they supposed to last longer than 1-3 years? The life span of (I think) every other technology that I own lasts 5+ years, easily. Am I picking unreliable brands? As far as I'm aware I'm treating them well, to prevent this sort of thing from happening I constantly let my headphones down gently after I get done using them, and I don't listen to really anything loudly, most certainly nowhere near loud enough to burn out speakers. Ever since I was a teenager this sort of thing would happen, go from pair of headphones to the next pair, each not lasting any more than 3 years. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Pick good quality headphones, build & audio, and changeable cords can be a life saver.

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

Buy from quality brands and make sure them have interchangeable cord/s and you'll have them until the drivers die which is no easy task. (unless your using a Schiit product :lol: )

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I'm amazed with myself if I can ever keep track of buds more more than a year. 

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

I'm sick and tired of having to buy new pairs of headphones every couple of years. Recently, both my Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1 headset and my Skullcandy earbuds became unusable (Headset was over time, skullcandy was sudden). I don't know much about headphones, but aren't they supposed to last longer than 1-3 years? The life span of (I think) every other technology that I own lasts 5+ years, easily. Am I picking unreliable brands? As far as I'm aware, I'm treating them well, to prevent this sort of thing from happening I constantly let my headphones down gently after I get done using them, and I don't listen to really anything loudly, most certainly nowhere near loud enough to burn out speakers. Ever since I was a teenager this sort of thing would happen, go from pair of headphones to the next pair, each not lasting any more than 3 years. 

Anyone have any ideas?

It's not to be a dick or anything like that.

But if you acutally buy a PROPER pair of headset/headphones they will last longer. My Sennheiser PC350's has lasted me for 5+ years now! Before that i had Creative Fatal1ty headset which lasted me about 2 months each.. -_-"

A more expensive pair of headphones/headset usually lasts way longer. (Saying this, please for your friends sake don't buy Razer)

My cheap headphones was like 399,- NOK (65 USD) - Which comes to about 32,5 usd for the headset a month! (Creative Fatal1ty)

My expensive pair was around 1499,- NOK (245 USD) - Which comes to about 4 usd a month for the headset. (Sennheiser PC350)

- crunzaty

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

PIck headphones with an interchangeable cord.

Pick good quality headphones, build & audio, and changeable cords can be a life saver.

Buy from quality brands and make sure them have interchangeable cord/s and you'll have them until the drivers die which is no easy task. (unless your using a Schiit product :lol: )

Alright, thanks for the advice guys, any recommendations on brands and specific cords/headphones?

I only use two, one for my desktop (Primarily gaming), and one for my phone (Primarily listening to music).

My budget for my desktop is anywhere up to about $100 (Gaming is how I earn my money, so it's pretty important to me to have quality headphones, although I don't need any particular quality to be in excess, mainly just that it has good quality, and an excellent lifespan), and earbuds, probably up to $30 or so.

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Well I know for a fact Skullcandy IEMs will break super easily. I went through pairs and pairs of them (even their expensive ones) until someone introduced me into the realm of better audio.

If you're willing to spend it, you can get a pair of Shure SE-215's for around $100 (USD) and the cable is removable from the drivers, so if you break a cable you can purchase a new one.

EDIT: If you're looking for headphones in particular, look toward Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic or Audio-Technica.

It's not to be a dick or anything like that.

But if you acutally buy a PROPER pair of headset/headphones they will last longer. My Sennheiser PC350's has lasted me for 5+ years now! Before that i had Creative Fatal1ty headset which lasted me about 2 months each.. -_-"

A more expensive pair of headphones/headset usually lasts way longer. (Saying this, please for your friends sake don't buy Razer)

My cheap headphones was like 399,- NOK (65 USD) - Which comes to about 32,5 usd for the headset a month! (Creative Fatal1ty)

My expensive pair was around 1499,- NOK (245 USD) - Which comes to about 4 usd a month for the headset. (Sennheiser PC350)

- crunzaty

The main reason why Cyber Snipa (I thought) would be the better choice was because at the time, they were about $70. I assumed they'd last a while longer due to pricing, considering most technology is at least somewhat fair for the price. The quality was actually quite nice (Sound quality), but sadly it seemed to last no time at all. Would the Creative Fatal1ty headset be a viable option? They're $28 on Amazon, a significant bit cheaper than what my old headset was.

Alright, thanks for the advice guys, any recommendations on brands and specific cords/headphones?

I only use two, one for my desktop (Primarily gaming), and one for my phone (Primarily listening to music).

My budget for my desktop is anywhere up to about $100 (Gaming is how I earn my money, so it's pretty important to me to have quality headphones, although I don't need any particular quality to be in excess, mainly just that it has good quality, and an excellent lifespan), and earbuds, probably up to $30 or so.

You could get the HD 518 then spend more money towards IEMs or a better mic if you don't have a good one already. The SE 215 have a changeable cable and sound great as long as your not a heavy listener of acoustic as they're kinda meh for that.

The main reason why Cyber Snipa (I thought) would be the better choice was because at the time, they were about $70. I assumed they'd last a while longer due to pricing, considering most technology is at least somewhat fair for the price. The quality was actually quite nice (Sound quality), but sadly it seemed to last no time at all. Would the Creative Fatal1ty headset be a viable option? They're $28 on Amazon, a significant bit cheaper than what my old headset was.

Save up a bit longer and get a proper branded pair of headphones:

Sennheiser PC350 or above, Audio Technica (maybe the ATH-M50 + a modmic) or Beyerdynamics.

Yes they cost more now but as i mentioned above the pricedifferences a month is goddamn high!

Also no the creative fatal1ty headset is a big nono.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

My cheapo Marly earbuds have lasted me a few years due to the braided cable. Problem with going cheap is quality control, because not all pairs will last as long as mine have.

For headphones, ditto on the HD 518.

You could get the HD 518 then spend more money towards IEMs or a better mic if you don't have a good one already. The SE 215 have a changeable cable and sound great as long as your not a heavy listener of acoustic as they're kinda meh for that.

Wow, these seriously look great. Thanks for the recommendations, would you know of any tutorials involving interchangeable cables for if they break? I don't know much about headphones.

Although $97 seems a bit expensive for just listening to music with my android, I'll probably get it, if only to prevent the yearly frustration that's caused by "????"

Wow, these seriously look great. Thanks for the recommendations, would you know of any tutorials involving interchangeable cables for if they break?

If you're smart enough to plug them into your phone, I think you can figure out how to disconnect the cable. ;)

If you're smart enough to plug them into your phone, I think you can figure out how to disconnect the cable. ;)

Oh, they're that simple? Also, do they come with added cables, or will I need to search specifically for compatible cables for it? I may also be misunderstanding how this works too lol

Oh, they're that simple? Also, do they come with added cables, or will I need to search specifically for compatible cables for it? I may also be misunderstanding how this works too lol

They come with cables but if you break them then you'll obviously have to buy new cables but if/when you do buy new ones I'd go for non OEM cables as they're usually crazy expensive for what a $10-$15 cable can match in quality.

In addition to what Adam said, you can buy combos on Amazon that include a second cable with an inline mic and control button(s). Kinda pricey, but that's the nature of the beast.

To avoid breaking headphones (or any product for that matter) I usually 1. avoid buying cheap shitty stuff and 2. look after my gear. Treat it like it's made of plastic and the cables are fragile.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.