Mechanical Keyboard Help

neiru37

Hey Guys, I'm looking into getting a mechanical keyboard to replace my SS Apex Raw one.

A quick list of things i'm looking for:

1. Compact - One gripe I had with the Apex is that it's big. With or without numpad is fine

2. Has backlight - I really really like backlight on my keyboards since I like typing in the dark. White is good for me, but programmable ones are okay too.

3. Silent - I don't want to get too loud. Browns are okay.

and the most important features:

4. USB Hub - So I can reduce cable clutter by plugging my mouse to the keyboard

5. Audio passthrough - again, audio clutter. Plus I hate having to reach to my CPU to plug in headphones

6. Media controls - I don't like alt-tabbing to change the volume

So far, here are my choices:

Steelseries 7G - has USB, audio, and is compact, but no backlight!

BlackWidow Tournament - Nice and compact, but no backlight, usb, or audio!

Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth - I guess this is my best bet, but I don't like green backlight plus I don't have a use for macro keys anyway.

Aw they're not available locally :(

wait. so you want a keyboard with audio passthrough and usb passthrough ?

I'll need to stew on if there's a keyboard exactly like the one you want.

The Logitech G710+ is everything you want, except it's not compact at all.

wait. so you want a keyboard with audio passthrough and usb passthrough ?

Yes I do. Some of the above mentioned keyboards have these.

I'll need to stew on if there's a keyboard exactly like the one you want.

The Logitech G710+ is everything you want, except it's not compact at all.

Yeah, I don't think that one has USB and/or audio passthrough.

Yes I do. Some of the above mentioned keyboards have these.

i wouldn't advise that. lag etc will come into play when you do pass throughs 

i wouldn't advise that. lag etc will come into play when you do pass throughs 

Don't worry, the USB and audio passthrough have their own cables apart from the keyboard's own. Like what's here on the 3rd pic.

Free-shipping-font-b-Steelseries-b-font-

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-nighthawk-x8-blue-backlit-mechanical-keyboard.html

This one is pretty much the same as the ASUS Echelon that was posted above. Again, no dedicated audio buttons (Fn + F key combos) but you can program easier to use combos with autohotkey. I have a Ducky and programmed Windows key + End to play/pause, Win + Del to go back and Win + PgDn to go to next song.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Don't worry, the USB and audio passthrough have their own cables apart from the keyboard's own. Like what's here on the 3rd pic.

Free-shipping-font-b-Steelseries-b-font-

then why not just buy a good mech keyboard and use ur headphone and mouse cable like normal lol ?. but sure if you want no one is stopping you

then why not just buy a good mech keyboard and use ur headphone and mouse cable like normal lol ?. but sure if you want no one is stopping you

Because I use my mouse and my headphones on my laptop as well, and I don't want to go down to my CPU everytime I want to detach them from my desktop. At least with passthroughs, everything is neat, tidy and accessible because it's connected to the keyboard. Imagine having just the single keyboard cable running from your CPU to your desk instead of having one for the keyboard, one for the mouse, and one for the earphones.

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-nighthawk-x8-blue-backlit-mechanical-keyboard.html

This one is pretty much the same as the ASUS Echelon that was posted above. Again, no dedicated audio buttons (Fn + F key combos) but you can program easier to use combos with autohotkey. I have a Ducky and programmed Windows key + End to play/pause, Win + Del to go back and Win + PgDn to go to next song.

Wow this one's good. I'll have a check if it's available locally.

Because I use my mouse and my headphones on my laptop as well, and I don't want to go down to my CPU everytime I want to detach them from my desktop. At least with passthroughs, everything is neat, tidy and accessible because it's connected to the keyboard. Imagine having just the single keyboard cable running from your CPU to your desk instead of having one for the keyboard, one for the mouse, and one for the earphones.

whats CPU ?. are you referring to central processing unit ?

whats CPU ?. are you referring to central processing unit ?

Yeah.

Yeah.

you don't plug stuff into your CPU... you plug it into the motherboard .. 

you don't plug stuff into your CPU... you plug it into the motherboard .. 

Well from where I come from, we call the case + everything in it the CPU. If you're referring to the processor, then indeed, we can't plug stuff to that (god, did you really think I'm stupid enough to think that I should plug stuff to the processor)

Anyway, enough with the technicalities please. This doesn't really contribute to the topic at hand.

Well from where I come from, we call the case + everything in it the CPU. If you're referring to the processor, then indeed, we can't plug stuff to that (god, did you really think I'm stupid enough to think that I should plug stuff to the processor)

Anyway, enough with the technicalities please. This doesn't really contribute to the topic at hand.

You Pinoy? Lol xD

Welcome to the LTT forums, btw :D

Most members here are very technical. They tend to correct you most of the time, it can be in a good manner or sometimes not so good. Just take it as it is :P

Anyways, about your post on finding mech keyboards, you won't find them all in one keyboard, even in Gilmore. Most probably they are available online through amazon or through one of those custom mechanical keyboard website that i forgot, but i saw it here on the forums once.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62