Setting up a very simple network...a couple questions

RadSalacan

So I've got my main computer and a second one attatched to my TV.  I want to be able to share files between them and I was using a program called Network Magic to manage my network spaces.  That trial has run out.  I'm definitely a newb when it comes to this stuff and I wanted to knwo if there were some free programs out there that are simple to use and the big thing...FREE lol.  Or are there simply aspects of windows 7 that allow you to control all of those things?  Thanks for any help.

To share files between two computers on the same network, all you have to do is create a homegroup. It's a stock Windows feature, and it's easy to use.

Control Panel\Network and Internet\HomeGroup

That's the link, just copy and paste it in Windows Explorer and it will bring you to the proper page to set up a homegroup. Then you can browse files on the other computers using Windows Explorer.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Great, thanks.  Is there a way for me to add directories to view on those other computers?  Or external devices like an external hard drive?

Control Panel\Network and Internet\HomeGroup

Under that same path, their is a help line saying "How Do I Share Additional Libraries?". I tried to quote it, but it won't let me post the image.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Ok, that was helpful.  The only thing is that the 1 drive I really want to be allowed in the home group won't seem to be allowed in.  All of the other drives have an option "Include in Library"  but this thumb drive I have won't allow that? 

15" MBP TB

Ok, thanks a lot.  I'll take a look at those in the morning.  Unfortunately it's time for bed.

Homegroup? Ew. Right click a directory, click Advanced Sharing. You will get a new form, click Advanced Sharing. You will get another form, click Share this folder. You can now set custom permissions, and you get the entire directory tree available to them. You can do this with USB connected drives as well. Enjoy :)

I'm not really liking Homegroup.  The software I was using was much easier to navigate add/remove locations and directories.  Also @Darren, I had kind of discovered that method on my own and it still isn't seeming to want to allow it to be shared.  Do you have any suggestions on programs to use?