Unlocking Elan Touchpad Gestures

Hi all,  I just got my hands on an MSI GS60 Ghost Pro (Win 8.1 64-bit) and have been quite pleased with the machine so far...except for the touchpad. The Elantech driver comes with a gesture suite much like the Synaptics gesture suite, set up for adjusting the input settings and such.  Initially it looks pretty limited in the gestures you can configure, but in poking around in the driver from MSI I found a folder that contained a ton of example videos of each of the gestures - including ones that aren't shown or adjustable in the Elantech gesture suite, indicating the functionality for other gestures is built in but not available to the user...

I figured out how to enable them through editing the registry so they show up and bypass the gesture suite all together to 'unlock' these 'hidden' gestures. So far the following are working:

One finger tap/click to left click
Two finger tap/click to right click
Two finger scrolling up and down
Two finger rotate (pictures, for example)
Two finger zoom
Three finger tap/click for middle-click (opens links in new tab)
Three finger swipe left and right to go forward/back
Three fingers swipe up to maximize window (and again to de-maximize) Only works in Windows Explorer for some reason...? Ideas?
Four fingers down/up to hide/show all windows (reveal/hide desktop)

I can't attach the registry files but the changes I made are pretty simple.  In the registry, the two branches are under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech.  The SmartPad branch holds the gesture settings and SmartPadDisplay sets which gestures show up in the gesture suite.

Fields ending in "Display" turn gestures on and off in the gesture suite, 0 = disable, 1 = enable.
Fields ending in "Enable" turn gestures on and off, 0 = disable, 1 = enable
Fields ending in "ShowItem" show the field in the gesture suite, 0 = disable, 1 = enable

"Path" fields refer to program locations, C:\Windows\notepad.exe opens notepad, for example.

"Func" fields indicate the function of the gesture, ELAN has built in 20 you can refer to:

0 = left click/select
1 = right click/menu
2 = middle click
3 = back
4 = forward
5 = maximize window
6 = minimize window
7 = nothing
8 = page down
9 = page up
A = execute the following program found in the corresponding "Path" field.
B = scroll down
C = scroll left
D = scroll right
E = scroll up
F = open start menu
10 = zoom out
11 = zoom in
12 = close window
13 = go to desktop
14 = open the "favorites" menu. This is editable by right-clicking on the Elan icon in the bottom right of the taskbar.

I essentially just turned on all possible displayable options and then enabled the gestures I want to use with the actions I wanted them to link to.

(Numbers in hexadecimal)

1. Edit the registry branches, SmartPad and SmartPadDisplay, and export the files so they won't get overwritten in the next few steps.
  2. Right click on the Elan Pointing Device icon in the lower right, select Properties.
  3. Merge both modded registry files again.
  4. Click Ok to exit the mouse properties.

Thought this was interesting if anyone else wanted to mess around.  Probably a good idea to back up your registry before modifying it.  Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thank you for your work on this! I happen to be using in Windows 8.1 where a recent driver update took away things like two finger tapping.

I know it's a year later, but thanks nonetheless!

Brett

• 4 years later...

I am using Elan touchpad on my Lenovo ideapad 700. Previously, in Ubuntu 19.04 "single tap for left click" and "two fingers tap for right click" was working without any additional driver or setting. Now I have Windows 10 and despite installing the latest driver from Lenovo, I couldn't get those two features.

Tip on this thread works for my device too, but with one extra step:

1- set "Tap_Two_Finger_Enable" to 1 (for enabling)

2- set "Tap_Two_Finger" to 1 (for right click/context menu)

3- set "TwoFingerTap_Display" to 1 (for enabling)

At that point, my "tap" functions were still not working. It turned out that I need to also set "CornerTap_Display" to 1.

Now I am really happy with my touchpad. Thank you BudgetEngineer!