DDR4 Discussion

Hey guys,

I've been running my old rig for about 6-7 years, and it's time for me to upgrade. (Running Penryn architechture, on 9800GT with a nearly dead stock fan, mobo has 2 slots not working, half RAM slots are not working, and DDR2).

My main problem back then was the release date of DDR3 memory, and it basically pwned me, since DDR3 destroyed DDR2 in terms of performance, and I missed it by a couple of month, leaving me stuck with DDR2 for all this period.

But this time I'm trying to future proof myself a bit more, and I was quite surprised that DDR4 was already announced, and that it would be available as early as this year.

I'm currently in no hurry to get a refresh (I can hold out for 6-9 months).

I certainly want to hop on Intel's new architecture, (since my Laptop is running Sandy Bridge, try to vary a bit), since it will be DDR4 compatible.

Do I want to wait for Nvidia's new architecture? No, not really, because it will keep the same GPU performance, but it will be adding a CPU with it (so doesn't really concern me since I'm already building a high end PC, and a high-end CPU).

But the only thing that intrigues me is DDR4.

It will keep the same latency, but clock speeds will go up to 2000-4000 MHz, with about 30% energy efficiency compared to DDR3 modules.

Is it worth the upgrade.

DDR3 destroyed DDR2 in terms of latency and clock speed, and it was much more expensive than DDR2 on launch date.

What do you guys think?

Is it worth the wait for DDR4? And even then, if DDR4 was released, would you buy it or would you still go for the cheaper DDR3s ?

To be frank, at this stage, DDR4 won't make much difference for something like gaming.

However, when you're future-proofing, yeah it is a good upgrade.

Personally I would go for DDR3. But I intend to upgrade in two years time anyway, so for me it isn't a big deal.

If you want to last ~5 years, and you can wait 6 months, yeah DDR4 is probably worth the wait (as well as the motherboards to run it)

I read DDR4 will not be viable until beginning 2015 because controllers, motherboards etc still have to be developed and Intel is stagnating because AMD is no competition.

DDR4 will be a huge improvement in terms of speed but frankly, we don't need that speed. RAM speed is hardly a bottleneck these days.

I would like to see DDR4 on a APU platform though, because those processors do have a great performance boost when coupled with fast ram.

I would listen to her ^ over me.

There are no plans for DDR4 motherboards soon.

And anyway, there's no difference with discrete GPUs past 1600MHz RAM :)

I would listen to her ^ over me. There are no plans for DDR4 motherboards soon. And anyway' date=' there's no difference with discrete GPUs past 1600MHz RAM :) [/quote']

I'm sorry to break it for you, but I have a penis :p You think I would eat spaghetti like that?

I would listen to her ^ over me. There are no plans for DDR4 motherboards soon. And anyway' date=' there's no difference with discrete GPUs past 1600MHz RAM :) [/quote']

I'm sorry to break it for you, but I have a penis :p You think I would eat spaghetti like that?

LMAO that made my night :D

Memory speed on an Intel platform, when using a discrete GPU, hardly matters anymore. You can get some nice benchmark scores with 2400MHz RAM, but it will be like the difference between a PCIe 2.0 x8 and x16 slot.

in my opinion, ddr4 wouldnt be that much better than ddr3 at relese.... look at ddr2, it lasted for quite some time after ddr3 was launched.

actually anything beyond 2133mhz doesnt make a difference for now. When future proofing a system make sure there are now bottlenecks between the cpu and gpu.

DDR4 should be hold until we DDR3 as a bottleneck, it's not necessary to develop something new when there ism't really any performance benefit.

ram is one of those things were everyone things you need the biggest and baddest but RAM doesnt affect gaming performance that much at all. 2 X 4gb of 1600 sticks for 30$ will run games for a while

Wouldn't DDR3 be much cheaper anyways and it's not much of a real world performance gain.

DDR4 is too expensive at the moment.

Do you really think Corsair would release their Platinum series of RAM now if they knew DDR4 was around the corner.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Do you really think Corsair would release their Platinum series of RAM now if they knew DDR4 was around the corner.

Expensive? It isn't even released.

And at first it will be server only at it was with DDR3. I don't see it more expensive over DDR3, that wouldn't make any sense.

"Admitting to being involved in the distribution of copyrighted software/media, cracks and product keys."

I'm pirate. U ban me Linus?

ram is one of those things were everyone things you need the biggest and baddest but RAM doesnt affect gaming performance that much at all. 2 X 4gb of 1600 sticks for 30$ will run games for a while
Agree, but, RAM is so cheap these days, that future proofing yourself with additional 8GB will do no harm. You never know when they will be expensive again, just look at HDD.

"Admitting to being involved in the distribution of copyrighted software/media, cracks and product keys."

I'm pirate. U ban me Linus?

Too expensive for companies to develop.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I would listen to her ^ over me. There are no plans for DDR4 motherboards soon. And anyway' date=' there's no difference with discrete GPUs past 1600MHz RAM :) [/quote'] I'm sorry to break it for you, but I have a penis :p You think I would eat spaghetti like that?

PMSL xD Made me 'LOL' hahaha

If your are going to be building a high end rig and trying to future proof for 5-6 years like you did before and can wait 6-9 months then I'd suggest waiting.

That doesn't make sense, http://www.techpowerup.com/178596/Crucial-Demos-DDR4-DRAM-Modules-at-CES.html there is just no cpu with a controller that supports ddr4, or mobos.

Crucial just said something about them being ready to release, and that they are the only ones. That is really the only reason it might be expensive, it should be cheaper to produce (20nm process and stuff).

What really annoys me is that Intel might not have Haswell ready for it at launch. That would b really kind of annoying as I want DDR4. I don't want to have to wait another year, unless AMD can do it (which I doubt).

I expect it to be, at launch, about twice, to two and half times the price of DDR3 per GB. Though I wasn't around for the launch of DDR3, so its just speculation.

Okay so you're saying when Haswell will be released it will support DDR4?

I think DDR3 will be just fine for the coming future but like every else said if you really want is "future proof then bay all means do it". I am getting sick of this Ghost fellow.