Console vs PC gaming.

Mr. Brown

Planning to start gaming a bit more seriously and would like you guys to tell me should I get in the new consoles or invest in PC.
I know that this forum is mostly PC elitists (I don't judge), but I can see how people would game on consoles too. So here's some cons and pros of consoles and PC's. Please notice that this is only from my perspective and I would like you guys to give some advice to me and people in my position. Thanks. So starting off. With PC i'll have to buy expensive parts to actually have a better experience than on consoles. Not only is it hard anywhere with a part-time job, but especially in eastern Europe where the economy is shite and the only way to actually get the parts is ordering them from the U.S. and that includes shipping + 21% taxes (so i'll usually end up paying a lot more). However I can also see that the games are cheaper. On consoles I get inferior games, but i end up spending much less and I get some exclusive titles. But on the other hand I can see the New-gen consoles have hardware that will not be suitable to handle games in a few years considering how much better the games are looking. So the bottom line is this: I much prefer gaming on PC, but I can't afford it. Should i just go with a console or build a veeery budget PC and upgrade it as the time goes? Sorry for bad english, thanks for your time and have a good day.

I'm sorry, I'm new and didn't mean to offend anyone. Never had this discussion really.

don't, just don't.  Do what makes you feel good.  everything else is just pointless personal opinion and parroting for the sake of maintaining the group think.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On consoles I get inferior games, but i end up spending much less and I get some exclusive titles. 

llololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololollololololololololololollolololo

I'm sorry, I'm new and didn't mean to offend anyone. Never had this discussion really.

don't be sorry, It's a sore topic around here that's all.  this thread will end pages long and you still want get a definitive answer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm just ribbing you because we have this debate a lot here and the forum is very elitist, there's nothing wrong with you posting this question I read your post your quandry is real, but these topics tend to get out of hand here that's all.

Planning to start gaming a bit more seriously and would like you guys to tell me should I get in the new consoles or invest in PC.

I know that this forum is mostly PC elitists (I don't judge), but I can see how people would game on consoles too. So here's some cons and pros of consoles and PC's. Please notice that this is only from my perspective and I would like you guys to give some advice to me and people in my position. Thanks. So starting off. With PC i'll have to buy expensive parts to actually have a better experience than on consoles. Not only is it hard anywhere with a part-time job, but especially in eastern Europe where the economy is shite and the only way to actually get the parts is ordering them from the U.S. and that includes shipping + 21% taxes (so i'll usually end up paying a lot more). However I can also see that the games are cheaper. On consoles I get inferior games, but i end up spending much less and I get some exclusive titles. But on the other hand I can see the New-gen consoles have hardware that will not be suitable to handle games in a few years considering how much better the games are looking. So the bottom line is this: I much prefer gaming on PC, but I can't afford it. Should i just go with a console or build a veeery budget PC and upgrade it as the time goes? Sorry for bad english, thanks for your time and have a good day.

Well for one what is your budget? I just built a 700$ budget PC that plays Titles like Tomb Raider, Murdered Soul Suspect and Hitman in full 1080p ultra 60fps and i included a SSD and a sweet case which would of made me only spend 500$ but i wanted the other two. If you want to game on PC for 500$ you can, just gotta know what to buy

Well for one what is your budget? I just built a 700$ budget PC that plays Titles like Tomb Raider, Murdered Soul Suspect and Hitman in full 1080p ultra 60fps and i included a SSD and a sweet case which would of made me only spend 500$ but i wanted the other two. If you want to game on PC for 500$ you can, just gotta know what to buy

Yeah, this man's on point, tell us your max budget if you were to take the PC route OP, and also tell us where you live so that some prices can be looked at and assessed as to how feasible the whole idea is.

Just invest in a PC. There's no reason at all for you to choose console, unless you're someone that barely plays any games, or if it takes ages for you to save up a bit of money. You don't get inferior games on a console, stop thinking that.

It's 600$, probably should've started with that, now i'll have to create a new account :D.

Here an xbox one is about 470 euros for that money you can build a pc that will run anything on medium to high.Yes i am living in easter europe too and yes the prices are big but you can still do it.These mates are talking about us prices which are much lower when we talk to pc components but you can still get a great pc even at our prices which are about 20-30% higher

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Here's your best answer. PC gaming will allow you to put more money towards how your games play and you also will have more Indie titles that you can play in addition to most triple A games. As for Consoles you are locked down to how the console performs *cough cough* (792p 30FPS) but you also get a more cost effective solution if your game library consists of a select few games and you probably don't play all too often.

Also to note, with a PC you get more than just a gaming machine.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

Type|Item|Price

:----|:----|:----

**CPU** | [AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-ad760kwohlbox) | $84.73 @ OutletPC 

**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-S1 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaf2a55ms1) | $39.38 @ Newegg 

**Memory** | [Patriot Viper 3 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/patriot-memory-pv38g160c0rd) | $64.99 @ Newegg 

**Storage** | [seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm003) | $52.92 @ Amazon 

**Video Card** | [MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r9280gaming3g) | $236.99 @ Newegg 

**Case** | [Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/thermaltake-case-vl80001w2z) | $24.99 @ Micro Center 

**Optical Drive** | [Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lite-on-optical-drive-ihas12414) | $14.99 @ Newegg 

| | **Total**

| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $518.99

| Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-19 19:16 EDT-0400 |

The CPU bottlenecks the graphics card on some CPU intense games, i currently have that CPU and that GPU in my build, im going to put another 500$ in it in a month for a i5 so there is a lot of room for upgrades while being cheap, if u cant afford 500$ u could cut the graphics card a bit and still play most titles and upcoming titles on medium which consoles play medium-high at 30-40fps anyway

Just so that you know (cuz you are clearly misinformed), you can get games for PC for far cheaper then on console.  Console your paying $60 for a brand new game, on PC you might be able to find a steam/origin or whatever Cd-key for $40 (same game both brand new titles) and the longer the game is out the cheaper you can find them.  Steam also has some amazing sales, they currently have their summer sale right now. Also as @Scratchy1215 stated for $700-800 you could build a far better system then one of the consoles.  However just get whatever you have fun with, I'm thinking about picking up a Wii U for the new Zelda game.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

So the bottom line is this: I much prefer gaming on PC, but I can't afford it. Should i just go with a console or build a veeery budget PC and upgrade it as the time goes? Sorry for bad english, thanks for your time and have a good day.

Seeing as you would much prefer to build a pc then do that,  In my experience in life (and it's quite a bit trust me), is that you should always aim to do what you want and avoid compromises as much as possible.  we always regret the compromises we made when the hardware is lacking, but we never regret spending a little more when the hardware is awesome.

So build a budget pc and upgrade it piece by piece when you have the money.

It's 600$, probably should've started with that, now i'll have to create a new account :D.

didnt see this post but you could even add a SSD to the build i posted if u had 100$ more plus a CPU heatsink and overclock the cpu to get way better results, i can easily OC my current with a stock cooler to 3.9 but it gets toasty

I understand the quest now, build a PC and never speak of the forbidden topic.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/s3KdrH

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  (£103.19 @ Aria PC) 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.13 @ CCL Computers) 

Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (£49.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£93.01 @ Amazon UK) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£35.94 @ Aria PC) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card  (£117.30 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£27.55 @ Amazon UK) 

Power Supply: Corsair RM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£65.94 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Total: £518.05

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-20 00:22 BST+0100

Here you go mate a good pc that kills consoles while more expensive is worth it

Well i understand where people love there consoles and where people love there PCs, im in the middle as i have a PS4 and a PC but i only use the PS4 for sports games and exclusives (DESTINY) while i use my PC for litterally everything else and would never waste money on console games ever again unless it looks insanely awesome, and isnt already on the PC

People who say you have to pay more on a pc than a console  to get a better graphics experience, are dead wrong you'll get the same graphics at the same cost by that I mean a $500 Ps4 is equivalent to Medium settings but at 800ish-p and at 24-30fps instead of Medium w/ anti aliasing at 30-60fps  at 1080p xD on a budget pc a higher end pc just guarantees 60fps, ultra, and higher resolution

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Welcome to the forum. Please excuse some of the replies you have. Usually this kind of thread don't end well, and people here are fairly annoyed and tired about them.

The community is significantly more helpful and nice. We are a proud group of people. It's just that sometimes on some threads, they can irritate or annoy some people, due to the repetitiveness of the topic within the forum, or their personal conversations in their life, or simply on other forums they participate in (I am guilty of this).

Let me help you out the best I can. I'll place both sides on the table.

Why PC Gaming?

Gaming on PC is a unique experience by itself. Thanks to the keyboard, it allows the creation of complex games that requires many keys. Different keyboard allows you to get different feel when you game. The mouse allows you for great precision which many (most, if not all), find that it makes the game experience better, and allows you to flow better through the game and not fight with the game controller to pass a difficult level that requires speed and accuracy.

PC games are cheaper, saving you a lot of money. Why they are cheaper? When you buy a console, the console is sold at a loss, manufacture wants the money back, and later make a profit. They charge a license fee on every game. Last generation of console, it was ~8$ (in the U.S). Seeing that games on the Xbox One and PS4 has increased, this would suggest that either it is a point to attract publishers to their system with higher profits, or the license fee is higher.

In addition, on the PC side of things, they are competition among stores, which pushes lower prices. AND, because you buy games online and not have to get the physical copy, and that is with stores that does competition with all other games store, they can push game prices further down, due to the lack of needing large warehouse to store the games, and have sales man, and physical retail store.

So, the prices of games are cheaper. Also, you have stuff like Humble Bundle, which a bunch of games (usually indie games), that sales their games at: "you pay what you want", where money goes to charity, and you get to select how much money goes to the developers directly, and the site, and to charity  with the price you put: https://www.humblebundle.com/ And there are other stuff like that. All thanks to the openness of the PC.

But PC are expensive! You say.

No, not really. Here is how to think about it. We pretty much all have a PC at home these days. We do homework, we use it for entertainment, we do stuff that relates to ones hobby (research for something, even if you collect stamps, you can seek info, software development, CAD, image editing, movie/video editing, audio recording (let's say you like to play music), and so on and so forth). The PC is a needed tool in the household, is what I am saying. So having a PC, somewhat modern, is a requirement. Now you may say: "Right, but for gaming I have to spend more money!.. A LOT more!". No you don't. You obviously will need to spend more, or maybe not depending on what you have, but not much in reality. Let think for a second... a good system that will offer you a smooth, solid, fast and super responsive experience, can be made with: 4GB of RAM, Core i5 (any speed) and a decent SSD.

All you need to do is spend about 150-200$ or so, to get a dedicated Nvidia or AMD graphics card, and you just turned your system in a gaming system, and you should be getting better graphical experience than on consoles already.

Another cool thing about PC games is that you get to control the game experience. Sure, it is a bit complicated and a bit annoying that you need to set it up the first time you run your game to get the best experience possible for your computer specification, but if you want smoother and a faster gaming experience, you can reduce the game graphical setting. Moreover, if the game runs beyond, perhaps you want to sacrifice a bit of that performance, while maintaining still amazing experience, for better visuals. On consoles, you have none of that. If the developers decides for instance: "Look we want the highest visuals possible, and that means that the game will run at 30fps, and sometimes dip at 15-20fps, well to bad.". Well, there is nothing you can do. If you prefer faster 60fps experience lower visuals, or maybe instead of that, you just want a solid 30fps experience, and not go lower, by dropping the graphical settings just a tad. That is something you can do on the PC, but simply can't on console. Now, it might sound preposterous, like why would a game developer do such a thing where they would set the graphical too high resulting in not great gaming performance, but sadly, it is common practice. The developer’s side of the story is that they try to portray the target art style, or try to reach a level of realism in graphics and they simply see it a worthy compromise. However, you have no choice.

Another point with PC is power. I do not mean performance. I mean abilities. Let's say you are playing game, and you want to check something online, or chat with a friend, or check your Facebook or play music, or take a break and watch a video, or simply check the time or something.. Well, you are just a Alt+Tab away. On console, you are stuck with their infrastructure. Sure you pop a web browser, a shitty one at best (actually the WiiU web browser is seriously surprisingly good compared to the other console), and a full keyboard allows you to navigate through your system with ease, even web surfing.

In addition, there is more. Like for example: in home gaming streaming, or play your own music in your game instead of the game music, and thanks to a keyboard with media playback keys, you can control your music listing while in game. You want better sound? You can get a dedicated sound card, and speakers of your choice or better yet, headphones, like this you do not disturb the rest, if you want to play at night or something. The options and limitless, and that is what I meant about power.

Why Console?

-> Console can have unique features that might interest people. For example with the Xbox One, you have an overlay system which can give you information about what you are looking for, and all sorts of crazy stuff for sports games (assuming the service is available where you are).

-> Unique gaming experience. The WiiU, for example, while many pushes it aside, it is a console that, like other Nintendo console, gives you a unique gaming experience that you simply cannot get anywhere else.

-> Simple, and fast. I said Xbox One, and I said WiiU, and just for balancing thing I'll mention the PS4, even though this point applies to all. You buy a game, you put it in the system, and you play. No install (well I believe that is not the case with the PS4 and Xbox One on some games), no graphical settings to setup for the first time. You just play.

-> Play on the big screen. While they are numerous ways to output what you can get on the PC on a TV, and as it is a OC, you can use an XBox One or XBox 360 controller and play, the console is designed for TV output, it is small and compact, and nothing to setup.

-> Exclusive titles. Every consoles have its set of truly (and not time based, where it is exclusive for a a week or so, and then gets out for all other consoles and PC) exclusive titles. These games are usually crazy fun, and you just can only get them on a specific console.

What I have:

-> Gaming PC.

-> WiiU.

What I have reflect my views and my tastes. It is not "the law", if you will. I like Nintendo games; I am having a huge blast with them, including their second party games. I also seek for unique experiences. Nintendo offers that with the WiiU. For me, the WiiU has a most catalog of exclusive games that I am interested in, then the other consoles, and as for the "lack of games on the WiiU". I don't care. I have a PC. The games are released on PC regardless, and I can play them with higher fidelity, visuals, faster and get a better experience.

Hope this helps.

No no no, it's alright if you like to play on consoles. What's a budget you would set aside for a PC and in what currency? You don't have to spend a crazy amount of money to get a fun gaming experience. It's not as expensive as you think.

Let's just go to saying that well... if WE the PC Gamers were to EVER be able to play Console Gamers WE would win. Why? because keyboard and mouse is better then a F'ing Controller!  (expect for in Driving games)