STEAM SUMMER SALE 2014 (Sale over, open discussion)

Askew
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Please note this is the thread for all SSS content.

50% normal discount? Pah! No, it'll go on sale for at least 75% in the next 10 days, pretty simple. Just be patient and save more money.

If you don't already own metro games I'd recommend getting the redux versions, as they have some touch ups and include all the DLC.

If you'd rather save cash and the original release of one of them, I'd take 2033 redux and original Last Light because 2033 stands to have the most improvements to it in the redux pack.

That's the plan, actually (Original last light + 2033 redux). Should have worded that better.

Also, I already got a foil card from that purchase which I could sell for 2€ immediately. God I love the steam card system.

I bought Mirror's Edge.  Good choice guys?  Anyone here play it?

best game ever made

Its all looks these days

50% normal discount? Pah! No, it'll go on sale for at least 75% in the next 10 days, pretty simple. Just be patient and save more money.

That's the plan, actually (Original last light + 2033 redux). Should have worded that better.

Also, I already got a foil card from that purchase which I could sell for 2€ immediately. God I love the steam card system.

That's the winning plan indeed! I already own both the originals on steam so I'm a bit reluctant to buy REDUX but I expect I will eventually be tempted into buying 2033 when it inevitably goes on sale at some point.

Foil card? I know nothing about the trading card system can you explain how it works/how one gets a 'foil' card and what's special about it?

best game ever made

SHould i get it? Whats it like? I opnly have 25$ for sale. Should i get this game?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

SHould i get it? Whats it like? I opnly have 25$ for sale. Should i get this game?

It's a free running action game, go and have a look at some gameplay on YouTube, in fact I'd recommend doing that with any game you're interested in to get an idea of how it's like.

I watch YouTube gameplay of every game I buy before making a decision.

Also check Totalbiscuit's 'Sale Box' video series that will go up on his YouTube channel later today and each consecutive day for the length of the sale, he will talk about each game and whether it's a good buy, and if he's covered it with one of his first look style 'WTF IS?' videos in the past there'll be a link to it for a more in depth look with commentary.

Hope this helps. :)

That's the winning plan indeed! I already own both the originals on steam so I'm a bit reluctant to buy REDUX but I expect I will eventually be tempted into buying 2033 when it inevitably goes on sale at some point.

Foil card? I know nothing about the trading card system can you explain how it works/how one gets a 'foil' card and what's special about it?

I'd probably just get the 2033 redux if I owned both games tbh. They're just going to add a few new mechanics to last light, the visuals will be very very similar.

Foil cards are just shiny and rare. You simply get them by chance. While the sale is going on the normal cards are pretty much worthless (~0.09€ - 0.15€ usually) so it's not worth selling them immediately. A foil card, however, will be bought immediately even if you price it pretty high (2€ in my case) because they're rare and people go nuts as soon as there are new cards. I really love this system, you can get quite a bit of money back on the cards if you sell them.

It's a free running action game, go and have a look at some gameplay on YouTube, in fact I'd recommend doing that with any game you're interested in to get an idea of how it's like.

I watch YouTube gameplay of every game I buy before making a decision.

Also check Totalbiscuit's 'Sale Box' video series that will go up on his YouTube channel later today and each consecutive day for the length of the sale, he will talk about each game and whether it's a good buy, and if he's covered it with one of his first look style 'WTF IS?' videos in the past there'll be a link to it for a more in depth look with commentary.

Hope this helps. :)

I bought it.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

dayz 25$ good price???? Or wait??

Its all looks these days

dayz 25$ good price???? Or wait??

Not worth it IMO. It's still in early access and will probably not be finished for a LONG time.

I never played mirrors edge. i bought it.

Yeah my first steam sale...

Mirrors Edge is pretty awesome. The port is kinda "meh" but the controls work really well with KB/M. Just stay away from the QA anti aliasing, that kills performance and doesn't look any different than the 16xAA settings.

Well nothing for me on the first day. Either I already own it, or it hasn't been discounted low enough for me to want to buy it. xD

So I saw someone mention gifting games to yourself if one does not intend to play it anytime soon. Can anyone elaborate on this for me? Does this just give a chance to sell it on the market down the road or give it away in case they don't want to play it or something? Are there any downsides to this?

best game ever made

Awesome!  Glad I bought it then.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

So I saw someone mention gifting games to yourself if one does not intend to play it anytime soon. Can anyone elaborate on this for me? Does this just give a chance to sell it on the market down the road or give it away in case they don't want to play it or something? Are there any downsides to this?

Basically, you buy the game as a gift. That's it. You don't gift it to yourself until you are sure you want to play it. If you decide it's dumb and you didn't really want it later, you can trade it with other people for their games or give it away. Or even sell it. 

Buying it as a gift allows you to do something with it later if you decide you don't want it anymore. Note that you can't play it unless you gift it to yourself (effectively), so if you do decide you want to play it, you can't give it away afterwards.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Basically, you buy the game as a gift. That's it. You don't gift it to yourself until you are sure you want to play it. If you decide it's dumb and you didn't really want it later, you can trade it with other people for their games or give it away. Or even sell it. 

Buying it as a gift allows you to do something with it later if you decide you don't want it anymore. Note that you can't play it unless you gift it to yourself (effectively), so if you do decide you want to play it, you can't give it away afterwards.

Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated.

Some good prices...at least for three games on my wishlist so far.

I feel like I'm a thief buying good games at such a price. :lol:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Update Flash deals lol!!!!

Its all looks these days

Hmm, isn't Shovel Knight supposed to release on the 26th? It's not even in the store yet. Maybe they can start the launch with a slight discount, would be pretty awesome. I'm buying the game and the soundtrack either way, but a release during summer sale has to be slightly discounted, r-right?

Hmm, isn't Shovel Knight supposed to release on the 26th? It's not even in the store yet. Maybe they can start the launch with a slight discount, would be pretty awesome. I'm buying the game and the soundtrack either way, but a release during summer sale has to be slightly discounted, r-right?

Well, Dead Rising 3 is not even released yet and it's on sale today, so by that logic maybe it will be who knows.

It will be kind of unfortunate for the developer to launch during a sale, no space on the front page and you get bumped off the top sellers by all the sale items.

Gonna be camping the Dark Souls 2 store page for 2 weeks.

Praise the sun and His son Gaben.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

I don't get paid til two weeks...WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! *shoots self*

I feel your pain! I only have 10 dollars to work with...I get paid three weeks from now. :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |