STEAM SUMMER SALE 2014 (Sale over, open discussion)

Askew
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Please note this is the thread for all SSS content.

I was thinking about getting display fusion as well because Windows handles multiple monitors so poorly..... In the end I made a ridiculous pixel perfect template so I can change wallpapers quickly.

Can someone pitch me Display Fusion. What makes it better than Windows built-in multi-monitor handling? What does it allow and enabled and such? 

I know you can set up separate task bars, so they are all different. Aside from that, I don't see the benefit.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I was sad that I missed the 75% off Valve Complete Pack. I was hoping it would show up on the last day.

I'm gonna debate getting Trine 2 and Capsized over breakfast :P

Most likely will fall in temptation though :(

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Disappointed with the sale tbh

I pretty much agree with this. Although I've only played a few of the games I bought, of them, the most fun ones are the cheap simple games. I really recommend Archon and OWH for RPG fans. They are so much fun.

I'd recommend Long Live the Queen if I could figure out how to win at it. 12 deaths and counting so far (I don't abuse saves).

Other than those games, most of my enjoyment this sale came from finally getting into the badge/trading card stuff.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I pretty much agree with this. Although I've only played a few of the games I bought, of them, the most fun ones are the cheap simple games. I really recommend Archon and OWH for RPG fans. They are so much fun.

I'd recommend Long Live the Queen if I could figure out how to win at it. 12 deaths and counting so far (I don't abuse saves).

Other than those games, most of my enjoyment this sale came from finally getting into the badge/trading card stuff.

Most of my fun game from buying display fusion and Game Dev Tycoon. I haven't touched anything else. 

I'm glad I exercised some level of self control.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

My final purchases are Bioshock Infinite Season Pass and The Walking Dead 400 days, that's it, I'm done. 

Can someone pitch me Display Fusion. What makes it better than Windows built-in multi-monitor handling? What does it allow and enabled and such? 

I know you can set up separate task bars, so they are all different. Aside from that, I don't see the benefit.

The taskbars + different wallpapers for all screens and different screensafers as well as far as I know. I haven't really looked into it that much myself.

The taskbars + different wallpapers for all screens and different screensafers as well as far as I know. I haven't really looked into it that much myself.

... I have different wallpapers on all my screens, and I'm using Windows 8 without any extra software. Then again, I have it set to rotate through my folder. It just rotates randomly, so they are always different. 

Same with screensavers. I guess it'd be cool if you had a single specific one you wanted.

† Christian Member †

It's populated with hackers..? Sounds very unappealing now

No, hackers always get banned eventually, but when the game is SUPER cheap then hackers/cheaters will buy lots of throwaway accounts so they can just move to a new account when they get banned.

Having a higher price discourages that behaviour because it starts to get expensive.

... I have different wallpapers on all my screens, and I'm using Windows 8 without any extra software. Then again, I have it set to rotate through my folder. It just rotates randomly, so they are always different. 

Same with screensavers. I guess it'd be cool if you had a single specific one you wanted.

That doesn't work on Windows 7, at all. Maybe it's because I have 3 different resolutions on all my screens, but the way windows 7 handles this is just retarded.

That doesn't work on Windows 7, at all. Maybe it's because I have 3 different resolutions on all my screens, but the way windows 7 handles this is just retarded.

...?

I remember it being this way, for me at least, on Windows 7 too. :| *confused* I may be mis-remembering, but I really doubt I am.

† Christian Member †

0d2H8o1.png

And my final game count is 16 games for $60.18, an average of $3.76 per game, not bad :P

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Ok so sale's over folks, thanks to all who posted, I hope you all got some good deals!

Also thanks to @Vitalius for his 'Budget Gems' post that was a high effort post.

It's been a pretty successful thread overall I'd say. :)

So for me the steam sale was a success. You know it is if you are thrown in the dog house a couple days out of the sale.... Wifey was not happy ;) telltale sign

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600 

So for me the steam sale was a success. You know it is if you are thrown in the dog house a couple days out of the sale.... Wifey was not happy ;) telltale sign

At least I'm not going out to the bar with that $$ and getting trashed and acting like a fool

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600 

Portal bundle

Lego marvel

Bad company 2

Insurgency

Trine 2

Skyrim

Payday

Mirrors edge

Arma 3 (and cold assault)

Farcry 3

Hotline Miami

Metro last light

The witcher 2

All for less than a $100

I'm proud of my self :)

P.s first summer sale I've been in

cpu:i5-4670k | Ram: 16gb | Case:Nzxt phantom 520 | Psu: corsair tx850 gold

mobo: Asus hero | Gpu: evga 780 | Storage: seagate 2tb/smamsung evo 240gb

Sound: Corsair 2100 / Mouse: Corsair m65 mouse / Keyboard: Corsair k70 / Display Vizio 23inch hdtv (changing soon)

Spent a total of 185$ on about 65 games in total, which may seem like a lot but I managed to get a ton of great games which I hadn't played before and also some of those cheap hidden gems that Vitalius suggested :)

This is the whole list I bought;

Adventures of Shuggy
Afterfall Insanity - Dirty Arena Edition
Batman Arkham Origins
BioShock Triple Pack
Borderlands 2 Game of the Year
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Capsized
Commandos Pack
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Critical Mass
Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death VII Double Pack
Defy Gravity
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
Dishonored (ROW)
DLC Quest
Edge
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary
Fallout New Vegas Ultimate
Far Cry 3
Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon
Flight of the Icarus
Fowl Space
Gumboy Tournament
Hitman Absolution
Hydrophobia: Prophecy
Insecticide: Part 1
LYNE
Mashed
Metro Last Light Complete
Portal 2
Puzzler World
Puzzler World 2
Real Horror Stories Expansion
Roogoo
Shadowgrounds Survivor and Shadowgrounds
Sid Meier's Civilization V: Complete
Swarm Arena
Terraria
The Witcher 2
They Breathe
Toki Tori
Tomb Raider ROW
Trine 2: Complete Story
Ultrabundle
Velvet Assassin

»»» Frankz' X99 System «««                                                                                         

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D        

Too many games to list, too much money to admit being spent. But it was fun. I got everything on my wish list.

Now it's time to build a gaming desktop because I think The Witcher and Metro are purposely trying to melt my APU

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

Spent a total of 185$ on about 65 games in total, which may seem like a lot but I managed to get a ton of great games which I hadn't played before and also some of those cheap hidden gems that Vitalius suggested :)

Adventures of Shuggy

Batman Arkham Origins

BioShock Triple Pack

Capsized

Commandos Pack

Critical Mass

Defy Gravity

Dishonored (ROW)

DLC Quest

Edge

Far Cry 3

Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon

Flight of the Icarus

Fowl Space

Gumboy Tournament

Hitman Absolution

LYNE

Mashed

Portal 2

Puzzler World

Puzzler World 2

Roogoo

Swarm Arena

Terraria

The Witcher 2

They Breathe

Toki Tori

Tomb Raider ROW

Ultrabundle

Velvet Assassin

holy balls, gaben is thankful for your immense offerings

@Askew : Thank you for hosting a great thread!  It was very informative, helpful and fun to be a part of.

I ended up with a bunch of new games....lol.  There were still others that I was hoping for better discounts on, but never happened.  Oh well I have enough to keep me busy till the next sale!  Thanks again to all who participated!

-Alan Wake Franchise

-Amnesia: Dark Descent
-Brutal Legend
-Brothers

-Civ V
-Dungeon Defender

-Garry's Mod

-Goat Stimulator

-Grand Theft Auto Complete package
-Shadowgrounds Package

-Skyrim Legendary Edition

-SpaceChem

-Trine2

-Tropico 4
-Witcher 1 & 2
-World of Goo

Adventures of Shuggy

Batman Arkham Origins

BioShock Triple Pack

Capsized

Commandos Pack

Critical Mass

Defy Gravity

Dishonored (ROW)

DLC Quest

Edge

Far Cry 3

Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon

Flight of the Icarus

Fowl Space

Gumboy Tournament

Hitman Absolution

LYNE

Mashed

Portal 2

Puzzler World

Puzzler World 2

Roogoo

Swarm Arena

Terraria

The Witcher 2

They Breathe

Toki Tori

Tomb Raider ROW

Ultrabundle

Velvet Assassin

I am but a mere mortal...WOW!!!  /bow

At the end of the Steam Summer Sale or whatever I have to say I got things I wanted for the price I wanted to pay for them so all is good.  I also am happy to have made some money off of selling cards.  I didn't make as much as I could have off doing that though but it was for good reason as I got caught up playing NHL 14 with my son into the wee hours of the morning and we had loads of laughs and were smiling so much and that is something we needed for awhile so better than any extra Steam cash I missed out on.  Hmmmm eh I will say there were a few games I didn't buy that I usually would have but hey maybe they will be cheaper in the next big Steam sale and besides I have a back log up the *** anyway so who cares.

Hope everyone got what they wanted and would really like to hear if any LTTers got a great item worth loads when crafting a badge.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S