STEAM SUMMER SALE 2014 (Sale over, open discussion)

Askew
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Please note this is the thread for all SSS content.

Still on the look out for Dark Souls II, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Anno 2070 and AoE III Complete.  Not to mention that Goat Simluator and Prison Architect look like fun!

I would not have to buy games again for a year! 

Hmm, tough call for me. I loved Morrowind and liked Oblivion, but I totally skipped Skyrim. Also, modding the hell out of it will be a bit taxing for my poor Gtx770 at 1440p...... I might just add another 20 bucks to my steam wallet, so it'd be a total of 120€ for the steamsales, but I don't know yet.

Your 770 would be fine if you don't go overboard with ENB mods, my friend has all kinds of crap at 1440p and it runs over 60 usually.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

To support linux i got XCOM: Enemy Unknown and Broken Sword 5 so far.

And i just got to have Assetto Corsa to satisfy my driving sim needs :)

Ugh, I want to collect as many Steam Summer Sale cards as possible, but there's so little I actually want to buy. First world problems, amiright?

Honestly, I look down all the deals and there is just so little worth buying. :( At least for me. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

If anyone spots the Assassins Creed Franchise Pack please quote me and post the link...I don't have any of the series and am looking forward to it.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

Ugh, I want to collect as many Steam Summer Sale cards as possible, but there's so little I actually want to buy. First world problems, amiright?

Honestly, I look down all the deals and there is just so little worth buying. :( At least for me. 

What comes of having them all?

If anyone spots the Assassins Creed Franchise Pack please quote me and post the link...I don't have any of the series and am looking forward to it.

Sure, I currently look at the new deals immediately in order to update this thread quickly so I will let you know if I see it.

You win the duel and get to banish someone to the Shadow Realm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x7xff74ZrI

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

They really should have a tutorial for the trading card aspect of Steam. Far too many people don't know about it. 

Basically, you get cards for certain things (voting on sales, spending $10, playing games, etc). The first two are strictly for big sales like the Summer and Winter sales. The last one is to get game-specific cards. 

If you collect all the cards, you can craft a badge for that game. This can be displayed on your profile. You get 100XP for your Steam account level per badge level. Most game-specific badges can be leveled 5 times maximum. Summer/Winter sale badges can be leveled infinitely, but the cards (all of them) expire when the sale ends, so you only have that time to level it up.

You get certain perks for making badges, like Steam profile backgrounds, chat emoticons, and game-specific items like Warframe gun skins and stuff. You also get more freedom to customize your Steam profile as you level up as well as extending your Friend's list capacity. Customizing your Steam profile means being able to add bars that gives stats on your profile. Percentage of games actually played VS games you own, Achievements obtained, perfect games (as in, you have all the achievements), etc etc. 

There are also very rare cards that have "foil edges". These can be used to craft foil badges that give 500XP per level and have a much higher chance of giving you rare stuff. Rare stuff (backgrounds, emotes, and such) can sell for $3+ each (probably even higher). Those are like $3-$4 each if you want to buy them though because they are so rare. 

The highest leveled people on Steam usually use the big sales to level up because getting cards for specific games is harder/more time consuming. An example is that one guy got his Holiday sale badge to level 2013. That's 201,300 XP and approximately cost him $7,000+ to get if he bought all the cards in the market. 

Obviously I don't intend to go that far, but I would like to level up and get some unique stuff if possible. There's probably a lot more you can do that I don't know about though. I do know that TF2 and Counter Strike are tied into it somehow since they are all by Valve.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

snip

Very interesting thanks a lot for the explanation!

So I'm right in assuming that everyone who collects/crafts has just figured it out for themselves? If so then I agree fully that there should be some kind of tuturial for this as I hadn't a clue about any of that until you just told me.

Finally! The third time that the community sale got relevant for me and the first time that the vote was in my favor. That was the right choice, I'll be playing hitman soon.

I'm keen for Wasteland 2, very Fallout Tactics, but it seems expensive still...

Still in early access, so I wouldn't play it even if someone gifted it to me.

Very interesting thanks alot for the explanation!

So I'm right in assuming that everyone who collects/crafts has just figured it out for themselves? If so then I agree fully that there should be some kind of tuturial for this as I hadn't a clue about any of that until you just told me.

Basically.

They have a FAQ for it which is linked in your trading cards/badges area, but ... most people don't ever go there anyway. 

http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/faq

They have an official Steam Group for updates and such too: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tradingcards/

I joined the Beta when it started, but I haven't touched it since. 

† Christian Member †

Finally! The third time that the community sale got relevant for me and the first time that the vote was in my favor. That was the right choice, I'll be playing hitman soon.

Arkham Origins is a good game as well, especially for that price. I got mine free with my graphics card otherwise I'd buy it now for that price.

I'm keen for Wasteland 2, very Fallout Tactics, but it seems expensive still...

Wasteland 2 does look interesting, I like post apocalyptic environments but I don't do early access. I will only pay money for a finished game.

Still in early access, so I wouldn't play it even if someone gifted it to me.

There's a couple that I would if I didn't have to pay, Space Engineers would have been one, a few of my friends have been playing it for a couple of months and apparently it was excellent even in early access with updates flowing thick and fast from the developers.

Basically.

They have a FAQ for it which is linked in your trading cards/badges area, but ... most people don't ever go there anyway. 

http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/faq

They have an official Steam Group for updates and such too: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tradingcards/

I joined the Beta when it started, but I haven't touched it since. 

OK I will have a read of those to get informed, but to be perfectly honest the things it seems to give aren't really things I care too much about, I am level 10 by accident based on my playing of games and presumably also buying games.

Almost everyone I encounter has a much higher level than me, at least now I know why!

Aaaand I bought Skyrim. Damn it...... I just got the base game though, paying that much extra for a single continent and 2 pretty useless pieces of DLC is not something I want to do. It'll probably keep me busy for quite some time even without that. I guess I'll get my credit card ready and add some more to my steam wallet. Just 25 bucks and that's it! I swear!

Aaaand I bought Skyrim. Damn it...... I just got the base game though, paying that much extra for a single continent and 2 pretty useless pieces of DLC is not something I want to do. It'll probably keep me busy for quite some time even without that.

The standalone game is the best value item to buy, it's 75% off an already heavily discounted game.

Skyrim's Nexus will add you countless things to play with anyway.

The standalone game is the best value item to buy, it's 75% off an already heavily discounted game.

Thanks, I'll make sure to check that out.

Arkham Origins is a good game as well, especially for that price. I got mine free with my graphics card otherwise I'd buy it now for that price.

I heard that it's not as good as Arkham asylum and Arkham City. I'll probably skip on this one and wait for the "next gen" Batman that's supposed to launch early 2015.

There's a couple that I would if I didn't have to pay, Space Engineers would have been one, a few of my friends have been playing it for a couple of months and apparently it was excellent even in early access with updates flowing thick and fast from the developers.

Well, the problem here is that this game will be an RPG and I don't want to play an unfinished RPG. It's supposed to be a complete and immersive experience, playing an unfinished part of the game before you get the complete game would really ruin it for me.

edit: That incoherent syntax...... Sorry, it's 3am here and I should get some sleep.

I heard that it's not as good as Arkham asylum and Arkham City. I'll probably skip on this one and wait for the "next gen" Batman that's supposed to launch early 2015.

This is accurate, but it is still a good game, it's more of the same which is fine for me as I really enjoyed the first 2 games.

Well, the problem here is that this game will be an RPG and I don't want to play an unfinished RPG. It's supposed to be a complete and immersive experience, playing an unfinished part of the game before you get the complete game would really ruin it for me.

That makes sense, Space Engineers is just a physics sandbox so that doesn't apply but with an RPG as you say it definitely does.

As another new Skyrim Owner I have checked out Nexux and Wholly Scrolls are there a lot of mods!!  Short list of the best to get started with please?   

As another new Skyrim Owner I have checked out Nexux and Wholly Scrolls are there a lot of mods!!  Short list of the best to get started with please?   

It has a top list, if you click 'files' on the menu bar you can filter the entries.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/top/?

Damn Dynasty Warrior is on PC...

Is it any better on PC?

Few things are not.