SSD for Ultrabook running Ubuntu

davidvu396

Hello,

i considered on buying a new ultrabook and wanted to install Ubuntu on the SSD. Question is: What SSD should i choose?

Low power consumprtion would be nice...

It is also important that it's thickness should be 7mm because ultrabooks only support that thickness.

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

From my own experience;

Say no! to KINGSTON NOW Drives

and a BIG YES To Corsair Force 3(i think) 128GB , windows 7 launches in a matter of seconds.

Hope I was helpful

OH this is because The Kingston Died quickly and was 5 times as slow as the Corsair!

Yeah but the problem is mainly that all corsair SSD's are 9,5 mm thick whereas it has to be 7 mm for ultrabooks

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

Samsung 830 is 7mm thick. Samsung has one of the lowest return rates. Have been using 830 for few month now. It is best upgrade that i made :p

Samsung 830 is 7mm thick. Samsung has one of the lowest return rates. Have been using 830 for few month now. It is best upgrade that i made :p
The only Problem is that a 830 is really hard to get because the 840 Pro is out. Also i think a 840 Pro is a bit too expensive and i am sceptical about the TLC-NAND in the 840 Basic.

I think I found something great, It is a 7mm SSD 120GB and it is fast,

Link

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=77210&vpn=MZ-7TD120BW&manufacture=Samsung%20Memory%20%26%20Storage&promoid=1201

Check it out, Hope It helps.

Nathan

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Samsung is the way to go. The 830 drives were fantastic and meet the 7mm form factor. I'm sure the 840 drives are more of the same awesomeness. Ubuntu is an incredible OS however I think you should give Windows 8 a go too. It is impressively fast and has an awesome power management system when you close the lid, kind of a hybrid between sleep and hibernate modes which is great for battery life and in my experience. I rarely shut down my Win 8 laptop because this feature is so well executed. Windows 8 can also manage updates while in sleep mode and is generally much more of a seamless experience than Windows 7 on laptops. Also, keep your eye on some other Linux distros like Elementary OS. They seem to run more smoothly on laptops and consume much less power than Ubuntu.

Link

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=77210&vpn=MZ-7TD120BW&manufacture=Samsung%20Memory%20%26%20Storage&promoid=1201

Nathan

I'm not sure about the TLC-NAND.

Samsung is the way to go. The 830 drives were fantastic and meet the 7mm form factor. I'm sure the 840 drives are more of the same awesomeness. Ubuntu is an incredible OS however I think you should give Windows 8 a go too. It is impressively fast and has an awesome power management system when you close the lid, kind of a hybrid between sleep and hibernate modes which is great for battery life and in my experience. I rarely shut down my Win 8 laptop because this feature is so well executed. Windows 8 can also manage updates while in sleep mode and is generally much more of a seamless experience than Windows 7 on laptops. Also, keep your eye on some other Linux distros like Elementary OS. They seem to run more smoothly on laptops and consume much less power than Ubuntu.
Thanks for your post. I considered to go with the Crucial M4 Thin or the Samsung 830. It depends on which of those costs less. Also, I like Ubuntu more, because I like customizing my PC, like installing other desktops like Xfce or LXDE. And i find Win 8 difficult to use. Win 8 is more optimized for tablets and I do not like running an OS which is mainly designed for touchscreen devices. Also i'm pretty sure that Ubuntu runs faster than Win 8. Another point for me is that i don't need an Anti-Virus Program running on my linux device and multitasking is much easier on Ubuntu because of 4 workspaces. So my conclusion is that if I don't want to play any games on the PC i would install a linux distro. Additionally i like Ubuntu over any distro because of the large community.

Link

Nathan

I'm not sure about the TLC-NAND.

That's alright I was just making suggestion for a drive that is pretty good and what you were looking for at the time, it is not like you HAVE to buy this particular drive,

But I hope I could help.

Nathan

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build