Best phones off contract ?

Hey everyone, I was wondering what are some good phones that are really snappy off contract? I never owned a phone before but I would like something mobile to keep in touch off the PC. I am always 90% on wifi 24/7 and I do not want to be on contract. This would be a "social media/media device" rather a phone to talk on excluding of course skype. 

Or would something like an ipod touch do me better? Just curious, and thanks for the info :) 

First thing first, do you need a phone? It seems like you're going to use it only for social media and then you don't need a phone, but if you want to call people and stuff you need a phone.

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Sounds like you need a tablet. Get a tablet and a cheap flip phone or something if you ever really need to make calls.

If you want something pocketable and cheap I'd get a Nexus 5, Moto X, Oneplus One (if you can get one) or a iPod touch would be fine if you don't need data all the time.

3700x, Asus B450i, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB, Gigabyte GTX 970 ITXDan A4-SFX, SX600-G, 120mm AIO.

First thing first, do you need a phone? It seems like you're going to use it only for social media and then you don't need a phone, but if you want to call people and stuff you need a phone.

Need? No but with my PC having random issues and only have an xbox to backup on, I would like the option of a smartphone. and something more portable.

Sounds like you need a tablet. Get a tablet and a cheap flip phone or something if you ever really need to make calls.

Tab..what?... Gods no... 

Need? No but with my PC having random issues and only have an xbox to backup on, I would like the option of a smartphone. and something more portable.

Tab..what?... Gods no... 

Why are you against tablets?

Why are you against tablets?

bulky, uncomfortable, Same reasons I hate mobile gaming.

bulky, uncomfortable, Same reasons I hate mobile gaming.

A 7inch tablet isn't really bulky. But, if you're set on a cell phone, get yourself a moto g is a good prepaid route, or if you can get a nexus 5 and just insert your sim. I know tmobile has a pretty solid pay as you go option.

A 7inch tablet isn't really bulky. But, if you're set on a cell phone, get yourself a moto g is a good prepaid route, or if you can get a nexus 5 and just insert your sim. I know tmobile has a pretty solid pay as you go option.

I don't have a "SIM" and Don't want to be with any company preferably. 

I don't have a "SIM" and Don't want to be with any company preferably. 

I'm not sure you understand how off-contract phones work. So what you'll do is buy an unlocked phone, and then go to a store and get a sim kit from a carrier. then from there you can airtime from the carrier. You'll have to be with a carrier. Unless you own your own towers. http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans 

http://www.boostmobile.com/shop/plans/monthly-unlimited-select/

You'll need to either buy a phone that comes with the carrier, which will come with its own sim card, or get an unlocked phone (nexus, moto g, etc...) and then buy a sim card for the carrier that you want. 

I'm not sure you understand how off-contract phones work. So what you'll do is buy an unlocked phone, and then go to a store and get a sim kit from a carrier. then from there you can airtime from the carrier. You'll have to be with a carrier. Unless you own your own towers. http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans 

http://www.boostmobile.com/shop/plans/monthly-unlimited-select/

You'll need to either buy a phone that comes with the carrier, which will come with its own sim card, or get an unlocked phone (nexus, moto g, etc...) and then buy a sim card for the carrier that you want. 

I don't plan to use airtime, or call, or any of that I have my own Wifi. As long as it turns on and connects to wifi it should work right?

I don't plan to use airtime, or call, or any of that I have my own Wifi. As long as it turns on and connects to wifi it should work right?

Ohhh you don't want to make calls or text at all? Ok I misunderstood. What is your budget? But yeah, as long as you can connect to wifi it'll work. But if there's no wifi, you won't get anything. 

Such a strange request. You want a device for social networking and media only, no calling, and you will be on wifi almost 100% of the time, but you want to limit yourself to a tiny smartphone screen rather than a tablet. Buying a phone is going to cost you more for functionality you won't use. 

I suppose the iPod Touch is best suited for your strict limitations. Maybe a PS Vita if you want to do a little gaming, but that may be too bulky for you.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

Such a strange request. You want a device for social networking and media only, no calling, and you will be on wifi almost 100% of the time, but you want to limit yourself to a tiny smartphone screen rather than a tablet. Buying a phone is going to cost you more for functionality you won't use. 

I suppose the iPod Touch is best suited for your strict limitations. Maybe a PS Vita if you want to do a little gaming, but that may be too bulky for you.

I had a vita for awhile, Wayyyyy too bulky, But I needed another reason to play Persona 4 :) 

Well a iPod touch is a good alternative in this case

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Moto E or Moto G

/thread

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Google Nexus 5 - $350 

Motorola Moto G - $179

Motorola Moto X - $350

Best phones off contract at VERY reasonable prices.

buy a Nexus 7 if you say that is bulky I have no idea what is wrong with you calling that thing bulky and heavy. 

$$金Trill金$$

If you're only ever going to be on WiFi, Nexus 7, it's really not that bulky at all, comparable to a bigger phablet.

Don't bother with a phone, you'll be wasting money if you don't actually want to use any form of cellular data.

lol there's barely any replies actually answering the question. If you need a phone, as in a device that fits in your hand and is reasonably sized (regardless of whether you actually use it with a SIM/plan or not) then I would get the new Moto G that has a MicroSD slot. If you can shell out a little bit more then the Nexus 5 is a lot more bang for a bit more buck. If you need a general device, that gets the job done regardless of size/weight/whatever, then a Nexus 7 (rumor has it Nexus 8 is coming though) or a Tegra Note 7

"Rawr XD"

lol there's barely any replies actually answering the question. If you need a phone, as in a device that fits in your hand and is reasonably sized (regardless of whether you actually use it with a SIM/plan or not) then I would get the new Moto G that has a MicroSD slot. If you can shell out a little bit more then the Nexus 5 is a lot more bang for a bit more buck. If you need a general device, that gets the job done regardless of size/weight/whatever, then a Nexus 7 (rumor has it Nexus 8 is coming though) or a Tegra Note 7

Thanks this was a really good reply thank you mah man. 

I will end up going with the Moto G as currently I am testing a cheap NET 10 phone to get use to size, etc, I think I'll be happy with the Moto G. 

Thanks this was a really good reply thank you mah man. 

I will end up going with the Moto G as currently I am testing a cheap NET 10 phone to get use to size, etc, I think I'll be happy with the Moto G. 

No prob. Again though get the new Moto G that has LTE and a MicroSD slot. Both seem just like little things but you'll realize how much better it is later on.

"Rawr XD"

No prob. Again though get the new Moto G that has LTE and a MicroSD slot. Both seem just like little things but you'll realize how much better it is later on.

If he isn't signing with a carrier LTE is going to be of little use ^_^

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

If he isn't signing with a carrier LTE is going to be of little use ^_^

Yeah but he's going to be using it as sort of a multimedia device so available expansion is an awesome option to have. There's a reason why it was added, and its because the Moto G never had lots of internal storage in the first place :)

"Rawr XD"