IHS Reports Samsung Galaxy S4 costs $237 to make

LinusTech

So did you ever wonder how much it actually costs to make each one of those shiny Galaxy S4s that you see at the local cell phone shoppe?

Hardware Canucks ran an article that suggests it costs a scant $237 to make a Galaxy S4. I guess improved flexibility in the chassis for better drop-protection isn't the only reason it sports a plastic housing... With all of that said, it's not like they're the only ones making ridiculous amounts of money on phones. The iPhone 5 apparently costs just over $200 to make.

Source: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/samsungs-galaxy-s4-costs-237-to-build/#disqus_thread

It was really that much? i always figured they would be like $100 to make. interesting

i would still rather a htc one. :)

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I wonder why the iPhone is less expensive, even though it's aluminium?

apple is 200$ to make one IPhone 5 explain to me why it cost 600$ and more at launch to buy without contract in Canada. so the fact that a galaxy s4 is close to an iphone still make sense, Don't forget that apple are the leading company for pricing phone in the market

Cell Phone prices need to come down to make it more attainable for everybody an S2 still cost $200.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I wonder why the iPhone is less expensive, even though it's aluminium?

because it has less premium of components, dual core vs quad core, different cameras, better pixel density, it goes on

Cell Phone prices need to come down to make it more attainable for everybody an S2 still cost $200.

that's why contracts exists

I'm not surprised by the low prices. That the iPhone costs less than the GS4 raised my eyebrows. I presume the HTC One would (and should) cost more considering the 200 mins of machining.

Top Stig

It's a party in the GTA

Well they do need some profit for their workers` salary, their rent for their Samsung stores, and the money for their R&D.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

apple is 200$ to make one IPhone 5 explain to me why it cost 600$ and more at launch to buy without contract in Canada. so the fact that a galaxy s4 is close to an iphone still make sense, Don't forget that apple are the leading company for pricing phone in the market

Profit and greed is the reason why an iPhone 5 without contract costs so much.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I already posted this 6 days ago,

http://goo.gl/CWG0E

:angry:

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

So did you ever wonder how much it actually costs to make each one of those shiny Galaxy S4s that you see at the local cell phone shoppe?

Hardware Canucks ran an article that suggests it costs a scant $237 to make a Galaxy S4. I guess improved flexibility in the chassis for better drop-protection isn't the only reason it sports a plastic housing... With all of that said, it's not like they're the only ones making ridiculous amounts of money on phones. The iPhone 5 apparently costs just over $200 to make.

Source: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/samsungs-galaxy-s4-costs-237-to-build/#disqus_thread

I like how Linus punches phones manufacturers!

:lol:

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

My bad. I searched for it and didn't see it :(

You're fired.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Apple prices are pretty crazy but i have a feeling they are going to fall a bit seeing as they stock has fallen a lot.

Didn't realize Samsung were overcharging this much, anyone got numbers on the HTC One?

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

May I find this topic funny? Just because of the repost :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

i call that article bs.

to this day, heck a front assembly display for galaxy s3 cost more than $200

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

i call that article bs.

to this day, heck a front assembly display for galaxy s3 cost more than $200

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

• 1 month later...

Every company out there wants to get as much money from you as possible. Why? Because they can and as long as consumers continue to purchase their items at the prices the sell them for, they have no compeling reason to change.

after that u got other costs that come into place like R&D  and many many other costs

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Im currently feeling pretty smug with my nexus 4 which would still be less greedy than samsung/apple even if it costs google $0 to make