Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hambobolubia

What do people hate about Apple?

30 minutes ago, SamBkamp said:

I think that is true. However I must add that Apple products are built like a tank (unless they have inherent design flaws, which happen a lot more often than I like to admit). We still have an iMac from 2009 running flawlessly with only a couple upgrades to storage etc. and I personally still have a macbook air from 2015 thats been used everyday for the past years and it still works great.  

Can't disagree with the build quality

3 hours ago, kokakolia said:

I just don’t get the fascination with OS customization. I just want my apps to run well and the Operating System to be out of the way. I seldom spend more than 1 second in the app tray or 10 seconds in the settings. At the end of the day my phone is just a screen with speaker and a mic. Nothing more.

EDIT: Better specs on the Asus phone!? Hell no! The iPhone has the A11 chip. 

Options.

You may not always use it, but when you do you want it to be there. Take the headphone jack as a prime example

4 hours ago, bobbyd52 said:

You know why I hate apple? I could go on and on and on and on about this... but I will just list a few points

• They wayyyyyy overprice every single one of their products (cables and dongles too!)
  • Im not even going to start with iOS and its limits
  • They make it near impossible to upgrade anything other than the RAM on their laptops and desktops
  • They have multiple times suddenly switched to a brand new port (such as USB-C or removing headphone jack), leaving users existing hardware useless without a dongle, that they also overprice (if they want to get a new device)
  • $100 per year for a developer account to publish apps? really?
  • They purposefully make their old products slower, and almost force you to upgrade
  • Apparently they think that anyone under 17 shouldent be able to get a 3rd party browser (on iOS App Store) and no im not kidding. (Look at the age next to the app name: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/firefox-web-browser/id989804926?mt=8)

And before anyone thinks that I dont have any experience with apple, and only hate them because I only use Windows and Android, I have had many many apple products in the past (I use no apple products currently). Let me name a few:

• Macbook (Old white model)
  • Macbook Pro
  • 7 iPhones
  • 4 iPod touches
  • 2 iPods
  • 2 iPads
  • Apple TV

If you go through the discussion youll notice that all of these issues have been addressed, but ill give you a TL;DR coz im bored in class:

The price for the Apple products are not even that bad for the components you get and how long these machines last. Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Meaning that people think that Apple products are worth the money due to reasons I will get into in a sec. Apple's design ethos has never been for the user to customize and change stuff, theyre target audience at the moment are people who do not need powerful machines (yet they put an i9 in an iMac, Even I thought that was a bit daft). The TA don't need to upgrade RAM or change things as in depth as windows users do.

Onto the OS:

Now, I think that Apple's OS is god tier because its so simple and easy to use, which is part of the appeal. Apple users don't have to worry about viruses or adware, or going deep into the file system to fix files or whatever. Further to that, IOS is so simple and clean, it just works. There is no hassle and you can set up the phone in under 5 minutes. Apple's OSs may be restrictive and controlled but the people who use Apple love that.

As for the changing of dongles, Apple has always done this. They were the company who started the extinction of optical drives and some could even argue that they made the smartphone popular. They have always been the proponents of change and they do this in a radical fashion. Like the sudden removal of the headphone jack as a way to push blue tooth.

As for the slowing down of older phones, check out this video brought to you by iFixit, get your ifixit toolkit for 59.95 

Mac = metal potato

PC = Toaster

Toaster > metal potato

Mac is for work and boils down everything to its basic form (even though I find windows easier) and Pc just is good all round. 

The thing about macs is that it slows down way too often when using Google, my laptop that cost 700 dollars can run google with 10 tabs no probs (Could just be me...)

Like i said many times before, i don't hate Apple, i like most of their products, the problem comes from the price and Apple's position towards non-authorized repair, i think people should be allowed to at least try to repair their products in an alternative way they feel confortable with. 

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Peripherals: Mice: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Logitech G305 /// Keyboard: Leopold FC900R (Cherry Silent Red), Logitech G613 (Romer G) /// Monitor: AOC Agon AG322FCX 32' (VA, 1080p @144hz) /// AMP: Onkyo Integra A-817XD /// DAC: Loxjie D10 (Red) /// Speakers: Polk Audio TSi100 /// Mike: Superlux E205U /// Headphone: AKG K267 by Tiësto

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

I'm anti-apple for a couple of reasons.

My primary reasons have to do their business practices and not so much their products. Their policies regarding right to repair, third party repair, jail breaking, third-party recycling, third-party refurbishment, and products being designed to be as difficult to repair as possible, products with limited to no upgradeability whatsoever really don't sit well with me. Apple's obsession with keeping total control over every aspect of a product's life and use seems overly restrictive and unreasonable.

Secondary reasons have to do with some of their customers/supporters/fans. I give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that it's a small, but very vocal minority of hardcore pro-apple people (and I am not referring in any way to anyone I've met or seen on these forums) who trumpet apple as the greatest thing ever and anyone who disagrees, regardless of reason, is some kind of heretic. It really bugs me.

Tertiary reasons have to do with the products themselves. Now, I give a high degree of deference to people who just use apple products because they like them, because to each their own. However, I've had to use apple products (an iphone and a macbook air) for work from time to time and I don't consider them easy or simple to use. Now, I may be just too entrenched in the PC and Linux ecosystems to give a fair assessment there, but I found doing even simple things like turning on/off location settings on the iphone and installing firefox on the macbook incredibly difficult, time consuming, and counter-intuitive.

I've had bad experiences with my mac, my parent's iPhones, and most of their stuff is overpriced. Software isn't as great in all areas as they tout it to be either.

i want to hear from die hard Apple haters, why do you hate Apple so much? what have they done to you to make you hate them so much? 

(note for mods, i don't mean to start a fight in the replies to this, that's not my goal. i understand this topic being locked if you feel it neccesary)

She/Her pls :) 

Phone: iPhone 6s | 64GB iOS

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro | Core i5 3210M | 16GB RAM500GB SSD | macOS

I like Apple. I may not like IOS, nor some of their decisions as far as their products go, but I'd say they're really pushing the industry forward. Say what you want about them using outdated CPUs and stuff, but when Apple does something, everyone follows suit.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

i use arch btw

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I like Apple. I may not like IOS, nor some of their decisions as far as their products go, but I'd say they're really pushing the industry forward. Say what you want about them using outdated CPUs and stuff, but when Apple does something, everyone follows suit.

yes they do. not always in ways i like though... rip headphone jack. 

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

yes they do. not always in ways i like though... rip headphone jack. 

Yes, as I said, we may not like the changes, but they'll happen sooner or later, right? If Apple didn't do it, someone else would have (albeit they would probably have waited a few more years).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

i use arch btw

Nerfed xeons in their mac pros, overheating macbooks every generation with seemingly no beta testing, the cult of apple

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

simply because they are overpriced and their anti competitive practices. they don't deserve the 1 trillion net worth have right now. I hope they go bankrupt but that isn't going to happen anytime soon. Here in India chinese companies provide great value phones whereas iPhones cost 1.5x compared to US where they are itself considered overpriced. Such outrageous practices are not acceptable at all and that's why their market here is a massive minority.

The most underrated user and unsung hero of LTT Forum.

Casual Gamer and part time Youtuber.

Day Dreamer but lazy and lethargic when it comes to goals.

Always procrastinating. Avoiding challenges and getting out of comfort zone.

Just now, fasauceome said:

Nerfed xeons in their mac pros

i've never heard that before. nerfed how?

Just now, firelighter487 said:

i've never heard that before. nerfed how?

They have a special version of the xeon that's lower clocked. obviously it helps with thermals, but it's cheaper for apple without that price difference ever coming to the consumer since they don't advertise it. They cost less since they're just failed versions of the actual xeon SKUs, so Intel ships them to apple for less than the good ones and apple passes them off as the real deal.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

21 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

nevermind those exist ?

although i wanted new replies, now that the latest Apple event just happened. also the imac pro controversy has kinda died off too. 

19 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

They have a special version of the xeon that's lower clocked. obviously it helps with thermals, but it's cheaper for apple without that price difference ever coming to the consumer since they don't advertise it. They cost less since they're just failed versions of the actual xeon SKUs, so Intel ships them to apple for less than the good ones and apple passes them off as the real deal.

so if Apple puts in an OP cpu that thermal throttles it's bad, but if they put in a lower clocked cpu specifically to adress thermals so it won't throttle it's bad too?

and how do you know intel is charging less for it? 

so if Apple puts in an OP cpu that thermal throttles it's bad, but if they put in a lower clocked cpu specifically to adress thermals so it won't throttle it's bad too?

and how do you know intel is charging less for it? 

I've got to go hunting for the video I learned it in, it was an interesting discovery. It was a video of course comparing a hackintosh to a regular mac.

Also, the lower clocked xeon doesn't address thermals, the crappy underclocked xeon and the vega graphics chip are still waaaaay too much thermal load for the miniscule cooling system to handle in long loads, so the weaker CPU means less burst performance, and the still crappy cooler means worse long load performance. It's a lose-lose for the user, and this variety of xeon is neither advertised in any material by its name (which I believe is the regular xeon's name but with something like an e at the end), nor can a regular consumer even go buy it since it's literally from the reject pile off Intel's product line.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

vega graphics chip

last i checked the mac pro didn't have vega graphics. unless you mean imac pro, in which case yes, the cooling is way too small for the specs you can get it with.. like one tiny heatsink for a vega 64 and 18 core's... 

unless you mean imac pro, in which case yes

I did lol, I felt like I was typing something wrong but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

27 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Apple

I love Apples and apple pie, sliced apples, I do not care what brand of apple it is, I've eatten even a Grapple which is an apple that tastes like a grape.

Hate is such a bad word, we hate everything equally! No matter what it is.

While trying to find the name of the CPU to compare against the nerfed version, I came across something interesting

image.png.490466c9195f648a801154b1148c9e29.png

retailers don't list the name of the xeon, they just say "Xeon W" but they do list the graphics chip name

image.png.ad569f1e80f2822352c666afb1b541d1.png

Even apple's website keeps it vague and nonspecific. Far from a smoking gun, but it's bad practice.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

There are many things I dislike.

Customer service and servicing costs.I have had one good post sale experience with customer service so far, the rest are acceptable but nobody really going out their way to help.

Costs of fixing broken things is VERY high and risk of going 3rd party is often too high too.

Peripherals also cost too much.

I dislike some of the software limitations and I have had so many issues with family members accidentally creating new Apple ids it’s unreal...

Things are getting better, their PoS service is very high and had been for a while.

I dislike some of the limitations that drive the security, the low number of Apple viruses vs windows is a good thing. You still gotta practice good security behaviours whatever your OS as these days the bad guys know the person is the weakest link, not the software.

I do like a lot of things about Apple however, highlighted recently by a saga for one family member who has android and windows which going Apple could have avoided.

My first tablets and phones were Android, I refused to go apple due to price. 

Once i got my first apple product, a 5S, I realised how much better apple was vs Android and switched. Now we are 100% Apple in our house bar my gaming PC and we are much better off for it.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz