What do people hate about Apple?

hambobolubia

I just don't like all the proprietary lightning and crap. That's all. In fact my school has gotten me an iMac to use for media (adobe cs6 Xcode blah blah) and I find it easier/nicer to use than the other pc I use at school.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I never bought the foothold thing about Microsoft.  Microsoft got that foothold because the market voted with their dollar and did not want a closed system.  Jump to today (decades later) and the market still votes with its dollar because it does not want a closed system.  

PS I have been working in the IT industry longer than the average LTT viewer has been alive.  I know the history.  I actually lived it.  

Microsoft won, because it was the only decent OS at the time. And not so much.... Do you realize how much of a challenge it would be to switch entire companies over to OSX? The hardware cost...the new software costs...the learning curves for everyone who's been using windows for the last 30 years...And thats assuming the program/s they need even run on OSX as a lot of enterprise programs weren't designed for OSX due to Windows being much more common.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I don't hate Apple, I think apple makes quite a few very nice products. I do however hate the hipster Apple fanboy's that seem to think that Apple is above criticism. They drive me crazy.

Usually reminds me of this scene...

hqdefault.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

It feels like people are coming up with excuses to hate Apple and it's really annoying.

They are locked up unless you jail break etc, but as far as I know that is not strictly allowed? correct me if I am wrong.

I am not making excuses to hate apple. In fact, Apple are fantastic for me as a large part of my life involves composing music and for that, MAC is fantastic.

I still prefer Windows.

oh, and please don't go round throwing "noob" in peoples faces on a tech forum, let us at least keep this community rid of pathetic stuff like that.

The average consumer does not want nor care about a 400 dollar display.  Evident by Apples market share

Again WHAT software.  You keep babbling about "the software"  Tell us what it is.  It is pretty difficult to show you the "equal cost" when you will not tell us what software we are looking for.  

Who cares what people in hollywood use?  Guess what,  the machines that actually render the effects are not Apple,  they are custom linux builds.  There is again,  who cares what people in hollywood use?  

There are many business' that make good money serving niche markets.  Tesla anyone?  

In 2012 over 355 million computers were sold.  Roughly 14 million of those were AIO's.  That is the definition of niche.  

No you have not given a legit point.  You keep talking in weird generalities that make no sense and you get things wrong.  

Ya, 2012, not 2014. AIO weren't as big in 2012.

And Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie, iPhoto, Garageband, e.t.c.

Every piece of software that comes with a Mac. I don't know how else to specify that. Did you want me to name every piece of software? It's on there website.

Your knowledge on this discussion deficient if you don't know what the software is that comes with Mac.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

Every piece of software that comes with a Mac. I don't know how else to specify that. Did you want me to name every piece of software? It's on there website.

Your knowledge on this discussion deficient if you don't know what the software is that comes with Mac.

Lets be honest though.... no one fucking wants pages, its a piece of shit....sadly. A slimmed down Word would be amazing since most of it is worthless crap to most of its users. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Lets be honest though.... no one fucking wants pages, its a piece of shit....sadly. A slimmed down Word would be amazing since most of it is worthless crap to most of its users. 

I'm just giving an example because he doesn't know what the hell Mac software is.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

Fine,  show me numbers for 2014 indicating AIO systems are a huge market share now.  Good luck.  

EDITING did not see he named software so going to pluck out some cheap versions that doe the same thing

Pages -  Open Office.  Been running it for almost 16 years.  Free,

Numbers -  Open Office.  Been running it for almost 16 years.  Free.

iPhoto -  Are you kidding me?  There are DOZENS of cheap or free MS variants.  

iMovie -  VSDC is free

Garageband -  LMMS

You may not like those pieces of software.  Functionality wise though they are as good and for most of them better than the free on Apple software you listed.  

Fine,  show me numbers for 2014 indicating AIO systems are a huge market share now.  Good luck.  

Yes I want you to name every piece of software.  Its lunacy to pretend the crap that comes on a mac does not have a windows (or linux) version cheap or free.  It is not 1992 anymore.  Apple does not have a huge edge in software for creators anymore.  

Instead of trying to belittle me how about you name TWO (2) pieces of software that come on OSX that you cannot find software that do the same thing for windows.  Name 2,  hell name ONE.  So just name one thing and I will show you a cheap or free windows alternative.  

Laptops and tablets--both technically AIO--sales are far far greater than desktop sales. 

Ummm....you do realize editing professionals very very often have Macs--and probably for a reason. 

Yes, sure....anything you can do on OSX you can do on Windows. Congratulations. Can you do it well?- maybe. Will you want to kill yourself while doing it?-possibly.

OSX is a FAR better OS than windows. The only thing windows has going for it is compatibility. Most computer computers--Lenovo and Apple excluded make a flimsy piece of shit. Most windows/android apps are held to shit standards when compared to OSX/iOS apps and as such the latter tend to be actual products I'd want to use. Not to mention OSX and iOS aren't bloated with tons of garbage....Theres a reason a dual core iPhone can keep up with a quad core android phone. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Then you must have never used Windows XP or Windows 7. I've used Windows 8, for about 2 hours, disliked it immediately, deleted and reverted to Windows 7. Everything's hidden, things that use to be one or two clicks away are now 3-4 clicks away and some useful things are completely hidden or removed, especially for me, someone who's a bit tech savvy. There's no easy way of accessing things. I've tried learning it, searched for lots of Windows 8 features articles and such but then I realized; why do I even need to learn this new shiny fancy way of doing things when I can use Windows 7 to get the same (or even better) experience without learning anything and still living with it.

Now you're playing dumb if you don't see any evidence to support my claims. Analyze their products, marketing schemes, advertisements, website, their bullying of other companies because they have lots of money, their way of treating customers (I've been to one Apple shop in Sarajevo just to see what it's like, I pretended to be a buyer and I was treated like a dumbo, luring me into buying their laptop (Macbook or whatever it's called) convincing me it's the best you can get and I just walked out; didn't want to hear anymore nonsense), pretending they're something they're actually not (an innovator).

What do you not understand about it?

Read the whole damn sentence, don't cut it off mid way through to make me seem like I'm claiming something I'm not.

No easy way of accessing things?

What exactly is difficult to access?

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Analyze their products, marketing schemes, advertisements, website, their bullying of other companies because they have lots of money, their way of treating customers (I've been to one Apple shop in Sarajevo just to see what it's like, I pretended to be a buyer and I was treated like a dumbo, luring me into buying their laptop (Macbook or whatever it's called) convincing me it's the best you can get and I just walked out; didn't want to hear anymore nonsense), pretending they're something they're actually not (an innovator).

A very fair point...the staff that work at the Apple store are either idiots or trained to be that way...In either case, thats not Apple-specific. I've seen the same crap at best buy, and frankly...everyhere. A salesman's job is to sell; and in the tech industry--where most people just don't have a clue--a very easy way to sell stuff is to lie/and make shit up. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Laptops and tablets--both technically AIO--sales are far far greater than desktop sales. 

Ummm....you do realize editing professionals very very often have Macs--and probably for a reason. 

Yes, sure....anything you can do on OSX you can do on Windows. Congratulations. Can you do it well?- maybe. Will you want to kill yourself while doing it?-possibly.

OSX is a FAR better OS than windows. The only thing windows has going for it is compatibility. Most computer computers--Lenovo and Apple excluded make a flimsy piece of shit. Most windows/android apps are held to shit standards when compared to OSX/iOS apps and as such the latter tend to be actual products I'd want to use. Not to mention OSX and iOS aren't bloated with tons of garbage....Theres a reason a dual core iPhone can keep up with a quad core android phone. 

Oh for crying out loud you are going to try to pull the laptop and tablet card out of your rear end and call them AIOs?  At least you can debate with a level of honest here buddy.  Try it.  

More "editing professionals" today use Windows or Linux than Apple.  If you want to get into the big dev houses most of them are running very proprietary software built for linux.  Go find a Lucas Arts employee and ask them what machine they do their actual work on.  At this point we are tiptoeing around edges here trying to find something a mac is good for or better than a PC or a PC is better than a mac etc.  Its a silly discussion and is not even the point.  Some people like mac,  a lot more use a PC.  That is not changing and with Jobs out of the picture Apple is prolly destined to be what they were the last time the company was without him.

The whole point was my response to the original post which was calling out blatant fanboism.  In the end you use what you want to use.  Anything you want to do on a Mac you can find software to do the same thing on a PC (minus some proprietary stuff custom built for specific solutions on a PC or a mac).  

If you want to buy a computer because it has "industrial design" go right ahead.  THat is not a selling point for most people though again evident by the small market share Apple has despite over a decade of working that angle.  

Again I am not telling anyone what to buy or use.  Use a mac.  Use a windows PC.  Use a Linux PC.  Hell if you want to get really crazy I have a few old Sparc pizza boxes that are still operational.  The entire point was simply a few of you made some false statements and I corrected you (and you got upset for being corrected).  

i hate apple for 3 reasons (maybe more if stuff happens)

1) Price to performance compared to linux or windows PC

2) Ecosystem is much more closed than Windows and tons more than linux

3) Navigation is much harder (in my opinion, but i won't bother with fixing this one until the other two get fixed to a reasonable point)

Nothing to see here, move along

We wouldn't hate apple as much if there weren't so many ignorant kids that fanboy about apple and how apple is great for everything and apple is better than PC and all gamers are on apple.

TL;DR apple's idiot followers (not all of them) are the reason i dislike apple so much. 

Basically this! i sell windows based laptop's and desktops. I regularly recommend mac's to customers if i believe it will suit their budget and work needs. But it drives me up the wall when i get some hipster idiot pumped up on the magical apple coolaid butt into my conversation with a customer and start hollering about the "SUPERIORITY" of apple products. And yes this happens to me quiet frequently. 

Apple has almost created a fanatical cult following for their products, where the consumer gets a whiff of that sweet apple white powder and is driven into a hideous rage of pompous ignorance. This dosnt only happen with apple thou (they are just have a much higher percentage of followers who are like this) you can see this happen with things like "Alienware" and "Holden vs ford" and to some extents "Samsung phones". 

All in all i find apple products to be a tad overpriced, but then again i have no use for an apple, so does my opinion really count?. BUT! i do find apple products to be very well built, easy to use, and reliable. So in certain situations they definitively are a better choice over other products. 

CPU: i5-4670k GPU: Asus DirectCUII TOP V2 MOBO: AsRock z87m EXTREME4 RAM: 8gb Gskill 1600mhz  CASE: Corsair Air 540 SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120gb HDD: 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm

Cooling: CPU- H100i push/pull 4x Noctua 120mm fans, 

GPU - H90 push/pull 2x Noctua 140mm fans + NZXT G10 Kraken bracket

TL;DR apple's idiot followers (not all of them) are the reason i dislike apple so much. 

Basically this! i sell windows based laptop's and desktops. I regularly recommend mac's to customers if i believe it will suit their budget and work needs. But it drives me up the wall when i get some hipster idiot pumped up on the magical apple coolaid butt into my conversation with a customer and start hollering about the "SUPERIORITY" of apple products. And yes this happens to me quiet frequently. 

Apple has almost created a fanatical cult following for their products, where the consumer gets a whiff of that sweet apple white powder and is driven into a hideous rage of pompous ignorance. This dosnt only happen with apple thou (they are just have a much higher percentage of followers who are like this) you can see this happen with things like "Alienware" and "Holden vs ford" and to some extents "Samsung phones". 

All in all i find apple products to be a tad overpriced, but then again i have no use for an apple, so does my opinion really count?. BUT! i do find apple products to be very well built, easy to use, and reliable. So in certain situations they definitively are a better choice over other products. 

Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

People say Apple can run better blah blah blah. That is because htey can slightly change stuff for the different mac pro as effectively each one of them would have similar hardware, easier to optimise.

Windows has to cater for a range of stuff, pentiums to i7's for example, which is harder to optimise for ultimate perfomance.

The same way games run better on an intel chip than an amd chip or vise versa

My PC:

Spoiler

MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti D5 4G, Ram: 16GB (2x8) HyperX Fury DDR4, Case: NZXT S340, Psu: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W , HDD's: WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 256GB Scorpio Blue, WD 2TB Caviar Blue  SSD: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240Gb

Apple and Mac have their place.  Photo editting, video edittings, and working on sound editting feels amazingly crisp on Apple products.  Hell you wouldn't find me editting stuff at work with anything else unless I don't have the choice.  Don't get me wrong some of this is bias because one, it is what I learned on and two, it is kind of part of the studio culture I am surrounded in. 

Is it in high level enthusist gaming?  No.  Would I ever have one in my house?  Not likely.  Unless of course I went indepentant with my work which isn't going to happen because well.. I like just being the man behind the man sort of deal and not the man.  Plus half of what I love about PC's is getting to build them from the ground up. Modding them up hardcore.  Upgrading and playing around.  Always will be my personal choice.  Not to mention bang for the buck is hard to argue.

I should also add that I have a little bit of a problem with things that are very 'cult' feel in the following.  I have heard people talking about Steve as a Jesus.  Not to mention a major hipster culture that surronds it now a days.  But to be far that not their problem.

Corsair 900D [ASUS Sabertooth Z87] i7 4770K @ 4.6ghz [x4 4BG Corsair Dominator Platnum 2133mhz]
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (OS) [2TB  Western Digital Caviar Black (Storage)] 2x Nivida 980GTX SLI 

Beyerdynamic DT990's [Logitech 600] Razor Blackwiddow Ultimate [MS XBOX360 gamepad]

I should also add that I have a little bit of a problem with things that are very 'cult' feel in the following.  I have heard people talking about Steve as a Jesus.  Not to mention a major hipster culture that surronds it now a days.  But to be far that not their problem.

^THIS

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Of course apple have a place, look at market share, market share is a very very accurate representation of what people want (it's essentially the end result of product/fit compromises), both corporate and domestic.  Apple have been around long enough to make their products relevant and salable, they account for <6% of total pc shipments (including workstations) which means while they are not huge they are not failing. However given these statistics you can't run around making assumptions about who uses them predominantly for what (like the workstation myth).  If you want to know that, you need to check user demographic stats and total shipment sales for unit type.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Apple:

I don't like:

The feel of OSX (not just a familiarity issue, it just doesn't work as nicely, but this is just personal preference)

Apple marketing (although I don't blame them).

The price performance (the mac pro might be an exception but I just don't like the look of it).

I do Like:

How well made their stuff is. (although competitors are catching up)

Why do people always come back to subjective measures when trying to prove themselves?  How good or easy an OS is to use is purely subjective and cannot be used as measure of how good or bad one OS is over another.

A list of moot points because there is no difference between an apple product and a windows product:

1. build quality, if you pay the same you get the same,  apple are not built better than windows machines, they are built better than some cheap laptops with celeron processors.

2. OS suitability is purely environmental or subjective,  if the end user doesn't like it or can't use it with certain hardware/software, it's no good.

3. aesthetics, this is subjective,  a red car is not better than a blue car.

4. customer support,  customer support is the same the world around, if you believe company A has a better record than company B you are gullible.

5. Updates, both companies give free updates and security support for at least 13 years, in that time even average domestic non tech users have upgraded their system twice.

It's a no brainer, at the end of the day it is purely use case that determines the suitability of a product. Anyone who disagrees with that is cheeching up too much.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Why do people always come back to subjective measures when trying to prove themselves?  How good or easy an OS is to use is purely subjective and cannot be used as measure of how good or bad one OS is over another.

A list of moot points because there is no difference between an apple product and a windows product:

1. build quality, if you pay the same you get the same,  apple are not built better than windows machines, they are built better than some cheap laptops with celeron processors.

2. OS suitability is purely environmental or subjective,  if the end user doesn't like it or can't use it with certain hardware/software, it's no good.

3. aesthetics, this is subjective,  a red car is not better than a blue car.

4. customer support,  customer support is the same the world around, if you believe company A has a better record than company B you are gullible.

5. Updates, both companies give free updates and security support for at least 13 years, in that time even average domestic non tech users have upgraded their system twice.

It's a no brainer, at the end of the day it is purely use case that determines the suitability of a product. Anyone who disagrees with that is cheeching up too much.

1. Macs are built better than the vast majority of windows computers...just look at the time/money apple puts into the physical appearance--including the internals. 

4. Yea...no, Apple customer support is undeniably superior to most computer companies--namely Dell/HP--haven't really dealt much with the others. You've clearly never had to deal with them if you don't think that. 

5. Many Android phones never get software past what they originally came with; and many others take forever to get an updated OS, which other devices have had for months. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. Macs are built better than the vast majority of windows computers...just look at the time/money apple puts into the physical appearance--including the internals. 

4. Yea...no, Apple customer support is undeniably superior to most computer companies--namely Dell/HP--haven't really dealt much with the others. You've clearly never had to deal with them if you don't think that. 

5. Many Android phones never get software past what they originally came with; and many others take forever to get an updated OS, which other devices have had for months. 

Thanks for reading my post:

1. no their not,   dollar for dollar they are just the same.  And again, physical appearance is subjective it is not an indicator of quality.

4. you clearly have had little experience with customer service.  They are all the same, in fact I have known more people with issues with apple, however I refrain judging them on my experience alone.

5. My post was apple v windows, if you need to drag android in to make a case it must mean you understand windows is just as good but don't like it.

The same crap, over and over and over again, they do not know how to think outside the box, just patent something that already exist. Steve Jobs was the backbone of Apple and now that he is gone, Apple is just Crapple. Nothing more nothing less.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Children do not understand what Mac computers are truly built for. A lot of kids nowadays bug their parents to death for one on Christmas because 1. It is the most expensive laptop, so it must be top of the line. 2. It kinda looks cool to them and think it will make everyone jealous around other people. Every time I load a video on YouTube for a tutorial on how to do something with my Mac, its always some 10-12 year old unorganized kid. Mac computers are built for work. Not to play. If a 12 year old wants to play, the parents should just buy that kid a Wii U or something. But if he insists on a computer, then just get a cheap netbook or something. Besides, most kids just want to play Minecraft on the Mac anyway. I'll be getting a PC soon. Mainly for gaming and other media purposes such as movies. The Mac I currently have will be wiped for this upcoming school year as I do not want to use the cheap Chromebooks they want us to rent for a year...like I said, something a lot of people fail to realize, not only kids, but sometimes adults, is that Macs are built for ease of use and getting things done. 

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL.