What do people hate about Apple?

hambobolubia
18 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Well, by definition, any smartphone or tablet is also a PC.

A small element is a small element. Form factor doesn't suddenly make a small element usable or unusable.

You know what I meant unless you're an artist or really like to draw most professionals would not replace their main PC with it, some students might but not for long as eventually they'll run out of storage and upgrading the SSD is a pain in the arse.

15 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Price. Android has its massive marketshare due to so many cheap devices, and Microsoft has a dominant desktop share because they got their foot all the way in the door first.

Because they didn't. ALL smartphones have had some battery expanding/fire related issues, the Note 7 was different in that it was a massive problem that affected many units and not just a small handful.

My point.

From what I heard it was an entire batch.

15 hours ago, gundamMC said:

Actually I did hear some news about battery issues w/ the iphone 8. But it's far less significant than the note 7.

Not an apple fanboy but it's really not fair to say something like this. It's like accusing someone without any proof.

Different articles I guess, I read an entire batch.

Also didn't they use the same mfg'er and a close relative to the note 8 battery?

On 2017-12-12 at 10:17 PM, djdwosk97 said:

A lot of their products aren't priced any worse than competing products -- so again, they're no more premium than the rest of the market that they're competing with.

And Apple support still understands english, so that's a huge step up from most other support where you have to struggle to convey any message, and having the option to go into an Apple store and show the device to a "genius" and let them figure out the problem is also something that isn't really an option with other companies.

Are you saying that a 2400 dollar laptop from Apple is not, and should not be considered premium?

Or are you trying to make a bad excuse where "Apple isn't bad. Look at how bad everyone else is! That makes Apple is good!"?

This thread is about Apple and I think their warranties and support are both terrible. It should not be acceptable behavior for a company selling such expensive and supposedly premium products.

Are a lot of companies equally bad? Yes, but that does not mean Apple is good. At best, your argument is that the entire industry is bad. That might be true, but the OP specifically asked why people dislike Apple and I think this is one of their issues, regardless of how bad or good other companies are.

You're just trying to make Apple seem better than they are by saying how much worse everyone else is. Others being bad does not make Apple good.

If this thread was about Dell then I might have said bad warranties and support as reasons why I dislike them.

On 2017-12-12 at 11:20 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

The problem I have is the quoted statement makes me think you feel lower end products are somehow immune to manufacturing defects that are equally annoying or bad. I mean, technically the listed defects are only on Apple products because most of those appear to be unique to the design of said product. But manufacturing defects exist in every spectrum. But just because it's a more expensive product doesn't mean it's more immune to defects.

Also Apple's reaction to most of those isn't really unique to Apple either. LG's response to the boot loop issue is basically "there's no issue". And then they got sued.

Oh look, another person doing the exact same thing I described earlier.

Hey @Dabombinable you forgot how their laptops used to (still does?) get so you the health sand safety manual actually said you were not suppose to put their laptops on their laps, because people are literally gotten burn damage from doing so.

On 2017-12-13 at 12:36 AM, RorzNZ said:

Then buy dirt cheap products. It is not Apples problem.

This is literally a thread where people were asked to state why they don't like Apple, and your response to someone giving his reasons is "then don't buy from Apple. Not their problem"?

Come the fuck on...

I forgot to add to my list that their fanboys are essentially brainwashed to the point where criticism of Apple is seen as a personal attack on them, and they feel a strong need to vigorously defend Apple at any cost.

On 2017-12-13 at 1:06 AM, M.Yurizaki said:

Considering there's still competition, you know how you demand them to make better products? Go to someone else.

Oh look, another person doing the exact same thing as I described above!

Again, this is a thread intended for people to voice their reasons why they dislike Apple. Do you really have to go "if you don't like them don't buy from them!"? Maybe he did buy a competing product and are now just listing the reasons why he went with someone else? You know... Just like the OP asked him to?

On 2017-12-13 at 6:17 AM, TheGleaner said:

3. If they are so good like some of their people claim, why don't they have +80% of the market share like Microsoft does?(as in os) and iirc Samsung is beating them (11% to 22%) in the smartphone business.

Argumentum ad populum

The most popular thing is not always the best.

On 2017-12-13 at 6:17 AM, TheGleaner said:

4. Apple products seem to be a status symbol more than anything else.

In Sweden the trend has been the opposite actually. A lot of employees gets iPhones as their work phones, so now it is often seen as something you get for free and it has lost a lot of the exclusivity feel.

On 2017-12-13 at 2:52 PM, abazigal said:

You mean this infamous video?

I wonder how many people look at this video and think Apple just used some "amazing opimizations" to make it perform like that, without realizing that it's not really any "optimization" at all in the way they think it is (writing efficient code). It's just QuickSync. It's just Adobe's encoder being shit, not Apple's encoder being good (it's probably not even Apple who wrote the code).

That's another thing I dislike. People give Apple a lot of undeserved credit, especially when it comes to "optimizations". Like when they say the iPhone performs well because iOS is so optimized. It sure as fuck isn't. It couldn't even (still can't?) render things at the native resolution for some devices because of Apple's poor design choices. It has to render at a higher than native resolution and then scale it down before presenting it. So they give Apple's shitty code praise, but then talk about how their CPUs are weak because "it's just a dual core" even though their dual cores were as big if not larger than quad cores from Qualcomm...

"iOS can mange with just 1GB of RAM"... Except it constantly ran out of memory and had to expunge all the caches very aggressively, and still ran into issues where springboard would just flat out die from memory starvation on devices like the iPad Mini.

I mean I'm not a fan of them in particular and I prefer other products (PC Android etc) but its more so out of a capability standpoint.  There are things I do and rely heavily on on my S8+ for instance that I either just can't do or become extremely difficult with an iphone.  Things like quickly accessing and transferring files and having a file system I can get to to access apk files, or even just pdfs.  Not to mention expandable storage via sd card slot.  Paying extra for the storage I would need on icloud and transfer files somewhere else just isn't practical for my needs. 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Are you saying that a 2400 dollar laptop from Apple is not, and should not be considered premium?

Or are you trying to make a bad excuse where "Apple isn't bad. Look at how bad everyone else is! That makes Apple is good!"?

This thread is about Apple and I think their warranties and support are both terrible. It should not be acceptable behavior for a company selling such expensive and supposedly premium products.

Are a lot of companies equally bad? Yes, but that does not mean Apple is good. At best, your argument is that the entire industry is bad. That might be true, but the OP specifically asked why people dislike Apple and I think this is one of their issues, regardless of how bad or good other companies are.

Except it's not really a bad excuse, but rather unrealistic expectations of a company. Yes, most companies need to improve their warranties, but Apple isn't alone in that, and thus that isn't a reason to hate Apple -- unless you also hate most other companies in existence. 

You're just trying to make Apple seem better than they are by saying how much worse everyone else is. Others being bad does not make Apple good.

If this thread was about Dell then I might have said bad warranties and support as reasons why I dislike them.

But that's exactly the point, there are no "Why do you hate Dell threads", and I can almost guarantee if I made one then warranty or support would never be mentioned. People hold Apple to a higher standard than they do the rest of the market. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

Except it's not really a bad excuse, but rather unrealistic expectations of a company. Yes, most companies need to improve their warranties, but Apple isn't alone in that, and thus that isn't a reason to hate Apple -- unless you also hate most other companies in existence. 

But that's exactly the point, there are no "Why do you hate Dell threads", and I can almost guarantee if I made one then warranty or support would never be mentioned. People hold Apple to a higher standard than they do the rest of the market. 

Apple charges more for an equivalent product. Of course they are held to a higher standard.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It in and of itself is not a reason to hate Apple, but maybe you missed my list of things which are also things I perceive as negative with Apple, all of which combine makes me dislike Apple?

Horrible warranties and bad customer service are not exclusive to Apple like you have for some reason pointed out, but they are two of the reasons (among many, which I have already listed) I dislike them.

You're completely ignoring 90% of my post and just focusing on this one issue, pretending like that's the only thing I have mentioned. I mentioned other things too you know.

And yes, I think a lot of companies (not all) have bad warranties and customer service, and yes, if someone asked me to list things I dislike about Dell, or HP, or whichever company then I might (I say might because I have heard little of them, and have little experience with them myself) list those same reasons for them too. Just because other companies are doing the same bad things doesn't mean it should be ignored and never brought up.

1) I could probably mention it if I had more knowledge and experience with them. Truth be told, the only experience and knowledge about Dell support I got is fantastic.

Someone I know bought a U2712 which ended up having a few dead pixels. Got sent a brand new monitor and got to keep the old one.

A company I help from time to time got Dell laptops as their company computer. They got Dell ProSupport and can therefore pick up the phone and have a Dell technician on site the next day fixing their computers.

That's the only experience I got.

If you made a thread asking what people like about Dell I am pretty sure very few if any would say they have great support and warranties. But if you made a thread asking about Apple then people would bring it up over and over. It's also pretty weird how everyone who has a Mac seems to have first hand experience with their support, right? It's almost as if they don't "just werk".

People take Dell's bad support for granted because people don't constantly praise them for being amazing and the best thing since sliced bread.

2) People hold Apple to a higher standard because their fans never shuts up about how amazing Apple is. When you constantly have to see people give fellatio to Apple you find joy in pointing out that they are not perfect. Too bad a lot of Apple fans are so delusional that they will flat out refuse to look at facts because they can't fathom that Apple isn't perfect and does everything correctly 100% of the time.

12 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You're completely ignoring 90% of my post and just focusing on this one issue, pretending like that's the only thing I have mentioned. I mentioned other things too you know.

I don't believe Apple is perfect nor do I believe that one can't dislike them. I ignored everything else because the other points are perfectly valid reasons to dislike Apple; the warranty is the one that I don't believe is valid since it's not worse than what is offered by the majority of companies.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I don't believe Apple is perfect nor do I believe that one can't dislike them.

I never said you did. There are a lot of people like that though.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I ignored everything else because the other points are perfectly valid reasons to dislike Apple. 

So you agree that I gave several legitimate reasons for disliking Apple, yet you try to dismiss the point you disagreed with by basically saying "that reason alone is not enough to hate Apple"?

Let me ask you this, do you or do you not agree that Apple's support and warranties are bad? I am not asking if they are bad compared to other companies, I am asking if you think they are bad.

Before you answer, please remember that the 15" Macbook with the touchbar starts at 2400 dollars and comes with the same warranty as a 200 dollar laptop, because it is the absolute shortest that can go without breaking the law.

Again, I am not asking you to compare it against other brands. Just looking at things objectively.

24 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

So you agree that I gave several legitimate reasons for disliking Apple, yet you try to dismiss the point you disagreed with by basically saying "that reason alone is not enough to hate Apple"?

Let me ask you this, do you or do you not agree that Apple's support and warranties are bad? I am not asking if they are bad compared to other companies, I am asking if you think they are bad.

Before you answer, please remember that the 15" Macbook with the touchbar starts at 2400 dollars and comes with the same warranty as a 200 dollar laptop, because it is the absolute shortest that can go without breaking the law.

Again, I am not asking you to compare it against other brands. Just looking at things objectively.

I didn't say you shouldn't dislike Apple, I just don't think that reason should be a factor consider it's far from being unique to Apple. 

I think it's horrible, it should absolutely come with a three year warranty, but that doesn't change the fact that Apple doesn't exist in a bubble. How they compare to the rest of the industry is what matters. How the industry needs to change is something else entirely. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I didn't say you shouldn't dislike Apple, I just don't think that reason should be a factor consider it's far from being unique to Apple. 

I think it's horrible, it should absolutely come with a three year warranty, but that doesn't change the fact that Apple doesn't exist in a bubble. How they compare to the rest of the industry is what matters. How the industry needs to change is something else entirely. 

"Hey did you hear about that guy who got drunk and drove over an old woman last night?"

"Yeah I heard about it. He should not have done that. Poor woman".

"Yeah, what a fucking asshole that guy was. A real piece of shit".

"Wow, you can't say that. Running someone over is not a reason to call them a piece of shit. Lots of people drive while drunk. Society needs to change as a whole which is not something we should hold that individual accountable for".

See how that logic doesn't work and how ridiculous it sounds when you apply it to something else that doesn't involve Apple?

Of course individual companies should be held accountable for their own actions, regardless of what other companies does. Company X being horrible doesn't excise company Y for doing the same thing. It just means both of them are bad in that regard.

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

"Hey did you hear about that guy who got drunk and drove over an old woman last night?"

"Yeah I heard about it. He should not have done that. Poor woman".

"Yeah, what a fucking asshole that guy was. A real piece of shit".

"Wow, you can't say that. Running someone over is not a reason to call them a piece of shit. Lots of people drive while drunk. Society needs to change as a whole which is not something we should hold that individual accountable for".

See how that logic doesn't work and how ridiculous it sounds when you apply it to something else that doesn't involve Apple?

Of course individual companies should be held accountable for their own actions, regardless of what other companies does. Company X being horrible doesn't excise company Y for doing the same thing. It just means both of them are bad in that regard.

I guess I can go around ranting at how shitty the battery life is on __insert literally any phone here__ because it can't last months on a single charge. Or how terrible a phone is built because it can't survive being dropped 200 feet off my balcony. What kind of mediocrity are we settling for when one of the most used devices has to be charged so frequently or has to be treated with the slightest level of care....How ridiculous. 

Relativity is all that matters. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Argumentum ad populum

The most popular thing is not always the best.

In Sweden the trend has been the opposite actually. A lot of employees gets iPhones as their work phones, so now it is often seen as something you get for free and it has lost a lot of the exclusivity feel.

But if it is well know, which apple is, and most apple people claim it's the best, then shouldn't it be popular?(ya know, if it's as good as they claim, and very well known then shouldn't?)

Then again they haven't actually innovatived in a while.

So what's the opinion on the iphone there then?

10 minutes ago, TheGleaner said:

But if it is well know, which apple is, and most apple people claim it's the best, then shouldn't it be popular?(ya know, if it's as good as they claim, and very well known then shouldn't?)

Let's assume most people think it's better, price is still a factor in many regions and a lot of Android sales comes from budget devices. Apple has a 15% marketshare worldwide, but nearly 50% in the US. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Oh look, another person doing the exact same thing I described earlier.

Hey @Dabombinable you forgot how their laptops used to (still does?) get so you the health sand safety manual actually said you were not suppose to put their laptops on their laps, because people are literally gotten burn damage from doing so.

This is literally a thread where people were asked to state why they don't like Apple, and your response to someone giving his reasons is "then don't buy from Apple. Not their problem"?

Come the fuck on...

I forgot to add to my list that their fanboys are essentially brainwashed to the point where criticism of Apple is seen as a personal attack on them, and they feel a strong need to vigorously defend Apple at any cost.

Oh look, another person doing the exact same thing as I described above!

Again, this is a thread intended for people to voice their reasons why they dislike Apple. Do you really have to go "if you don't like them don't buy from them!"? Maybe he did buy a competing product and are now just listing the reasons why he went with someone else? You know... Just like the OP asked him to?

This is a thread for asking reasons to hate Apple not opinions on hating Apple. Reasons are usually fact and many people here conflict their opinion with fact.

I personally really dislike how their priorities are with their computers. They go slimness and silence over actually being able to cool the hardware and not making it thermal throttle. So their PCs just run hot as hell every time you just put a small load on them and they throttle a lot of you try and use all the CPU power it should have, but I guess that I am one of the few people that still cares about cooling and getting the performance of the parts I paid for, since a lot of people always seem to defend brands for making a bad cooling system. Plus apple aren't very excited about 3rd parties fixing their products, so it can be insanely hard to get a schematic for one of their products, which I do understand to a degree. The two things that bugs me a ton are their OS and their attitude when talking about their products, they talk about a feature like it is something they invented, but in reality other products have had that given feature for a while. Their OS feels so insanely locked down. For me it really feels like a children OS, where you can't really fuck anything up easily, but you also can't make it your own.

Plus their desktop PCs lack the possibility of upgrading really any performance parts and as long as I can't upgrade parts in their desktops and get a Quadro in their laptops, while being cooled well (meaning no thermal throttling happening on both the GPU and CPU), then there is no change in hell that I am going to even consider one of their PCs. 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

9 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Apple charges more for an equivalent product. Of course they are held to a higher standard.

What are you basing that assumption on? 

I must admit I really don't give a major crap about customisation when it comes to mac os or ios. I just wish I could move the apps on the home screen on eos. Sometimes I want them in a different place or order. Apart from that as long as it works then i'm happy. 

4 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

What are you basing that assumption on? 

Simple comparisons of their products to others at the same and lower price.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Simple comparisons of their products to others at the same and lower price.

I would not judge based on simple comparisons. There are major distinctions unique to the Macs which set them apart.