Apple releases cheaper iMac

Ate

The sad thing is that crappy dual core i7 probably performs about as well as a quad core AMD A10 mobile or something :(

But yes I do agree with you, Intel need to do some rethinking as it's confusing. My i3 3217U is technically more powerful than the i5 3317U in multithreaded tasks because it clocks higher out of the box (+100MHz) when not in turbo mode.

It's very misleading as my friend keeps showing me i5/7 laptops that use ULV parts that are a complete waste and perform lower than something like i3 4100M.

The difference is that the A10s come in sub-700$ laptops while the i7s come in 1500$ ultrabooks.  :blink:

My current build :

Hurricane Mk.I

• CPU - Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4.6 GHz ~ 1.25V
  • Cooling - Corsair H60 2013 Edition
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 (mATX)
  • RAM - 16 GB DDR3-1600 Avexir Core Series (Red LEDs)
  • GPU - XFX Radeon R9 Fury X @ 1100/500 MHz -24 mV
  • Case - CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3
  • SSD - 256 GB ADATA SX900
  • HDD - 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
  • PSU - Corsair RM750 (750W 80+ Gold)
  • Display - LG 34UM67-P Ultrawide (Freesync)
  • Keyboard - CM Storm Quickfire TK (Cherry MX Red) + CM Masterkeys Pro S RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
  • Mouse - Razer DeathAdder 2013
  • Audio - Sennheiser HD598 SE with detachable mic
  • OS - Windows 10 Home Edition
  • VR - Lenovo Explorer Windows Mixed Reality Headset
  • Laptop - ASUS K501LX with i7-5500U and GTX 950M

Then tell me, why does it cost 200$ to pass from a 2.9ghz i5 to a 3.1ghz i7 in the higher end 21.5 inch imac? Because they rip you off. that's a fact. another fact is that I could build a pc with the same specs as this """"cheap"""" imac for 300$. + 200$ for a vry good monitor. still less than half the price. There might be a couple of exceptions, but they are most definitely not the rule.

It's not because they rip you off, but because of their properitary OS, they have to custom build the motherboard and everything to perfectly work with their OS. So it's not like they are ripping you off, but it's still doesn't justify it's price.

because price.

Some of you guys have a very hard time wrapping your heads around a pretty simple concept - that some products are designed and created for people who are not you.

apple tablets fine, apple ipods fine, apple iphone ok but apple computers! get out of here

Except when you get more value for your money than a comparable windows pc?

post-11253-0-07893700-1403113982_thumb.ppost-11253-0-27081500-1403114074_thumb.p

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Some of you guys have a very hard time wrapping your heads around a pretty simple concept - that some products are designed and created for people who are not you.

Who needs a pentium-equivalent cpu for 1100$?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's not because they rip you off, but because of their properitary OS, they have to custom build the motherboard and everything to perfectly work with their OS. So it's not like they are ripping you off, but it's still doesn't justify it's price.

That's not how it works, you build your hardware first and THEN you optimize the os on it. So that's not much of an excuse. What KIND of means they aren't ripping us off is that that cpu is 300$ according to intel, but that's because it's an ultrabook cpu and shouldn't sit in a desktop. as you said, doesn't justify the price.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The difference is that the A10s come in sub-700$ laptops while the i7s come in 1500$ ultrabooks.  :blink:

True lol, the AMD FX7600P mobile part looks extremely interesting, fully functional Kaveri unit but slightly gimped clockspeed.

I just hope a) doesn't cost too much b) manufacturers stop using 1333mhz 11-11-11-30 RAM.

This product (or any mac) isn't aimed at any of us so It doesn't even matter...

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013

Not everyone is inclined to buy a custom machine. Some people just want something simple that looks nice. And who cares what the price is. I have an iMac and my machine is great. Stop being little shit heads and acting like little pc master race trolls. Makes you look stupid.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

I'm not bitching about Apple because it's cool. Their stuff is objectively overpriced. Why is it bad to complain about bad overpriced hardware when it's Apple? If I had complained about an HP machine you'd have had nothing against it right?

...and here come the iSheep that only defend Apple because it's cool.

The only reason I defend Apple is because no one else seems to. I have a nexus 5 and 7 but would switch to an iphone anyday, why because it doesnt freaking matter. And see, I've rarely see anyone complain about an HP, compared to the magnitude of Apple.. And lmao, you think defending Apple is cool?? Then why is no one else doing it. 3 out of every 5 posts on this topic are just "its overpriced and a piece of shit" just like any Apple thread on this forum. Its getting annoying. See for yourself, google Linustechtips and Apple and find a single thread that doesn't have half the people hating  on them. So yeah, I do make and effort to defend Apple simply because 90% of the time they don't deserve it. 

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Who needs a pentium-equivalent cpu for 1100$?

Why do you care? If someone wants a Mercedes Benz CLA, is it trash because a Kia Forte exists with similar specs? Even if you were jaded enough to say yes, why should that dissuade someone from wanting a more expensive product?

What's the point of this besides it taking up less room on your desk? You could build a hell of a PC with $1100

"Rawr XD"

Beats headphones and call of duty both sell like pancakes, doesn't make them any better.

But it does make them what they are.  A product that millions of people love and want.  There's a market for them.  We can all sit on our high horses and talk about how shitty their product is, but that means nothing because at the end of the day, people love them and there's a market for them.  It's really just that simple.  Not everyone cares about specs or has the time to actually learn about the product they are buying.  That will never go away.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

The only reason I defend Apple is because no one else seems to. I have a nexus 5 and 7 but would switch to an iphone anyday, why because it doesnt freaking matter. And see, I've rarely see anyone complain about an HP, compared to the magnitude of Apple.. And lmao, you think defending Apple is cool?? Then why is no one else doing it. 3 out of every 5 posts on this topic are just "its overpriced and a piece of shit" just like any Apple thread on this forum. Its getting annoying. See for yourself, google Linustechtips and Apple and find a single thread that doesn't have half the people hating  on them. So yeah, I do make and effort to defend Apple simply because 90% of the time they don't deserve it. 

The reason most of the posts here are aginst Apple is because people here are tech literates, aka know what they're talking about when referring to hardware. Try entering a supermarket and asking the first person you find what he/she thinks of Apple. 70% of the time they'll tell you they're the best brand and they make the best stuff. Don't defend brands because nobody else does, it's not a very good reason...

you say switching to an iphone from your nexus 5 would make no difference, and while hardwarewise that's pretty accurate you'd find yourself with the price of a second nexus five gone from your pockets. The problem with Apple is not the quality of their products, it's never been. The problem is the price of their stuff and their attitude of "you don't need to know the specs, just know it's better than everything else" they adopt in their commercials (plus the way they advertize software functions others had for years as innovative and something they came up with themselves). If this iMac was priced at 600$, it would be a good purchase and I'd recommend it. Unfortunately it's 500$ more than that. For 600$ you get this but with less ram, less graphics power and without a screen (mac mini), which is bs.

I'm not criticizing Apple because it's them, trust me, I know better than discriminating products based on brand.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Why do you care? If someone wants a Mercedes Benz CLA, is it trash because a Kia Forte exists with similar specs? Even if you were jaded enough to say yes, why should that dissuade someone from wanting a more expensive product?

Simply cause it's more expensive. Lol

You could simply put that money to better use. Dual core 1.4GHz? Twice as many cores at the same speed was in the Galaxy S3. (figuratively speaking)

"Rawr XD"

Well, since an iMac is a laptop you can't carry around, ofc it looks like a laptop.

But well. Say for my mom, who only needs Email and casual browsing, this thing was perfectly fine. Don't see the hate.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I'm not bitching about Apple because it's cool. Their stuff is objectively overpriced. Why is it bad to complain about bad overpriced hardware when it's Apple? If I had complained about an HP machine you'd have had nothing against it right?

...and here come the iSheep that only defend Apple because it's cool.

It's only "objectively" overpriced when people like you exclude the cost of R&D for design, build materials, and OS.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

*looks at 1000~ Hack Pro* 
Xeon E3-1275 V3 3.9GHz... 8GB DDR3... GTX650... 120GB SSD... 1TB HDD... 

Yeah not impressed.

Except when you get more value for your money than a comparable windows pc?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-06-18 at 20.51.05.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-06-18 at 20.51.38.png

Well, ASUS laptops are the worst shit under the sun you can buy anyhow. So that's somewhat of an unfair comparison =P

You don't sit on an iMac whereas comfort is very important on a car, and the iMac isn't made of 1500 kg of steel and leather. You or anyone else can buy whatever you want, the OP asked what our thoughts were on this product and my thoughts were "it's shit for the price" and "nobody would get any advantage from getting this over a comparable pc" (which I thought but worded differently).

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's a good deal, an "OK" everyday PC with a good screen in a gorgeous body

I'll just leave it here...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cnsPgs

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cnsPgs

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cnsPgs/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($114.97 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.30 @ Newegg)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.97 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB TurboDuo Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)

Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Best Buy)

Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($69.32 @ NCIX US)

Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Spawn Wired Optical Mouse ($14.99 @ Newegg)

Speakers: Logitech LS21 7W 2.1ch Speakers ($19.99 @ B&H)

Other: webcam ($27.19)

Total: $989.63

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-18 13:42 EDT-0400

Now laugh..

Lol, you spent $35 on a case.  You think people who buy iMacs have shitty taste like you?  They want something that looks good.  

Well, since an iMac is a laptop you can't carry around, ofc it looks like a laptop.

But well. Say for my mom, who only needs Email and casual browsing, this thing was perfectly fine. Don't see the hate.

Your mom could do the same thing on a 300$ retail pentium laptop. Why spend 1.1k instead?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Lol, you spent $35 on a case.  You think people who buy iMacs have shitty taste like you?  They want something that looks good.  

Then spend 200$ on that freaking case. Still the same price as this and 4 times faster.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Your mom could do the same thing on a 300$ retail pentium laptop. Why spend 1.1k instead?

Cause as much as one may hate apple. It's very hard to break, and rather intuitive for PC noobs. I have rarely had to fix something on her MBA, on her old W7 laptop, I was at it 24/7 =P