Apple releases cheaper iMac

Ate

If I were in the market, I'd definitely go with the $200 more expensive version. This looks like something they'd use for classrooms.

Yes it seems to me that this is a power-saving, always on machine for classrooms and such. Will be super efficient, though pretty low-power. That is a U-Class chip most likely, with Intel HD 5000 that is the MacBook Air 15W TDP...

An iMac that will not have fan noise...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Damn Apple haters.

Either way, that is still damn expensive, and I would rather buy a MacBook Pro, since it will probably perform just as good and it's mobile.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

have you ever used those specs

At school hundreds of times.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

£800 and no dedicated graphics?

Lol

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

why are people not comparing this to other all in ones?

Because we're a bunch of goons that build things.

£800 and no dedicated graphics?

Planning to do a lot of hardcore gaming on your iMac?

have you ever used those specs

Yeah, I was going to ask the same question. This machine is equivalent to a 13" MacBook Air with a larger screen. It will actually be fine for light video editing, perfectly capable of any photo or audio work that one would do and is perfect for general tasks such as browsing or productivity.

Even though people here hate on them excessively, Apple has never released a badly performing computer. This won't be an exception.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Yeah, I was going to ask the same question. This machine is equivalent to a 13" MacBook Air with a larger screen. It will actually be fine for light video editing, perfectly capable of any photo or audio work that one would do and is perfect for general tasks such as browsing or productivity.

Even though people here hate on them excessively, Apple has never released a badly performing computer. This won't be an exception.

dosent final cut pro support quicksync?

in what machines?

Wait do you mean the pentium or the mobile i5? I meant the pentium. As for the mobile i5, yes but not as much (I used a macbook air that belongs to a friend of mine for some time, it's barely capable of anything more than video playback and web browsing, AND that one had an ssd whereas this one doesn't.)

It will actually be fine for light video editing, perfectly capable of any photo or audio work that one would do and is perfect for general tasks such as browsing or productivity.

A desktop quad core i5 is "fine" for video editing, definitely not that one. As for photo and audio work, a pentium can do that too. and for generic tasks, why pay 1100$ for office programs? come on.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Because we're a bunch of goons that build things.

Planning to do a lot of hardcore gaming on your iMac?

I could spec a laptop that would do everything the iMac could faster AND play hardcore games.

Sure, it won't be as ZOMG its zoo beautiful aluminium OMG as the iMac, but it's infinitely better value.

I could also spec a laptop that would be faster than the iMac and cheaper without dedicated graphics

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

why are people not comparing this to other all in ones?

Not sure about you, but I don't see the point of All-In-Ones. All of them are absolutely awful. It's simply a terrible form factor, just like a completely spherical computer case would be awful. If I made a spherical computer case, which rolled around and ruined your hard drive, people would call it bad because it is. I can't say "well it's not bad for a spherical computer case! Why not compare it to other cases with the same design?".

When you compare something you should compare it against a similar (please note that I said similar, not identical, so missing a feature or two is alright) product that costs roughly the same.

1100 dollars for a 500GB HDD (which I am fairly sure you can't replace because Apple uses or at least used to have a proprietary SATA connector), a 1.4GHz i5 (dual core) and no dedicated graphics and a 21.5" 1920x1080 screen is awful.

Even the 1300 dollar model is far superior in terms of price:performance. You get two more cores, 1.3GHz higher clock, 500GB extra storage and Iris Pro instead of HD 5000. That's worth the extra 200 dollars.

dosent final cut pro support quicksync?

Not quite sure, but I think it does.

Not sure about you, but I don't see the point of All-In-Ones. All of them are absolutely awful. It's simply a terrible form factor, just like a completely spherical computer case would be awful. If I made a spherical computer case, which rolled around and ruined your hard drive, people would call it bad because it is. I can't say "well it's not bad for a spherical computer case! Why not compare it to other cases with the same design?".

When you compare something you should compare it against a similar (please note that I said similar, not identical, so missing a feature or two is alright) product that costs roughly the same.

1100 dollars for a 500GB HDD (which I am fairly sure you can't replace because Apple uses or at least used to have a proprietary SATA connector), a 1.4GHz i5 (dual core) and no dedicated graphics and a 21.5" 1920x1080 screen is awful.

Even the 1300 dollar model is far superior in terms of price:performance. You get two more cores, 1.3GHz higher clock, 500GB extra storage and Iris Pro instead of HD 5000. That's worth the extra 200 dollars.

Well, OK. The part about the next level model being much better in terms of price to performance is true.

Proprietary SATA is BS... That hasn't existed for a long time...But it is still not really possible to change the drive because you cannot open that computer up. It is built like an iPad... That is actually the main complaint I have about the iMac in general. So yes, you are right about that one too.

I suppose that this computer is really not for us 'performance enthusiasts'. It really isn't. Still a machine that definitely has a market for it.

I could spec a laptop that would do everything the iMac could faster AND play hardcore games.

Sure, it won't be as ZOMG its zoo beautiful aluminium OMG as the iMac, but it's infinitely better value.

I could also spec a laptop that would be faster than the iMac and cheaper without dedicated graphics

Value is subjective. Who said anything about laptops? :rolleyes:

Here's my thought about it:

I'm not necassiraly a 100% Apple hater, but for 1,100 those specs could be way better. Even though it has 8 gigs of Onboard RAM which isn't great is probably the best part about it. I mean we are in an age of 7,200 rpm 1tb HDDs are only 50 bucks I feel that 500gbs of 5,400 HDD days are behind us. Don't even get me started about the fact that you spend a grand and to not even get some sort of gpu in there?!?!?! Like a reasonable 700 series mobile for gods sake.

Not's not even half the rant hahaha... Tim Cook you are the devil...

It's shit for the price. As usual with most Apple products.

And yet they sell like hot cakes making people like you look retarded.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Don't even get me started about the fact that you spend a grand and to not even get some sort of gpu in there?!?!?! Like a reasonable 700 series mobile for gods sake.

What reasonable mobile GPU <750M is doing something that Intel HD5000 cannot? I can understand wanting a better HDD or an SSD instead.

And yet they sell like hot cakes making people like you look retarded.

Beats headphones and call of duty both sell like pancakes, doesn't make them any better.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Probably a M cpu, yes. Hackintosh is still better.

It's a U CPU. The i5 4260U to be specific :)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I dunno, I guess these things sell well because they look good and Macs aren't slow. Core2Duo Macbooks still run better than Core2Duo Laptop PCs. :P

I could see people like my mum buying this, it's not marketed to us techie folk.

It's a U CPU. The i5 4260U to be specific :)

I dunno, I guess these things sell well because they look good and Macs aren't slow. Core2Duo Macbooks still run better than Core2Duo Laptop PCs. :P

I could see people like my mum buying this, it's not marketed to us techie folk.

Don't worry I am not a Mac hater, ya they are decent for web browsing etc.

Don't worry I am not a Mac hater, ya they are decent for web browsing etc.

I kind of intended the 2nd part towards everyone going "LOLOL YOU CAN BUILD PC BETTER FOR HALF THAT". Should have made it clearer sorry :P