Slow boot with SSD

KR_king

I recently bought my first ssd :D, a 250Gb Samsung 840.

I don't know everything about ssd's but I think I did everything you should enabling TRIM etc.

But it boots so slow, around 50 seconds, and the first time I used it I benched it. The results were around 420Mb/s, then I did it again with Samsung's SSD Magician and I got 407Mb/s,

I decided to use Samsung's optimizations and the speeds droped another 50Mb/s.

Is this normal because my os is on there? Or is there something wrong?

because when they advertise it as a 520Mb/s read an it gets 350Mb/s I'm kinda upset. :(

BTW. write speeds are spot on, 246Mb/s.

Core i7 2600  Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3  EVGA GTX 970 FTW  16Gb 1600Mhz G.SKILL

Samsung 500Gb 840EVO RAID0 Random 80GB HDD Corsair GS700 Corsair ArticWhite C70

Samsung's SSD Magician benchmark.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1460[/ATTACH]

post-2487-13667861036578_thumb.png

Wow man that sounds bad. The 840s are still relatively new, so you will struggle to find help from other users with the same ssd. Are you running if off of Sata2 perhaps? Try connecting it to a Sata3 port running off the intel chipset and check if your SSD is in AHCI mode in the bios. You have not tried to defragment the ssd have you?

My Mobile Devices: HTC Dream (G1) Rooted, HTC Bravo (Desire) Rooted, Samsung Galaxy SII Rooted, Samsung Galaxy Note II Rooted, iPhone 4s Jailbroken, iPad 2 Jailbroken

Wow man that sounds bad. The 840s are still relatively new, so you will struggle to find help from other users with the same ssd. Are you running if off of Sata2 perhaps? Try connecting it to a Sata3 port running off the intel chipset and check if your SSD is in AHCI mode in the bios. You have not tried to defragment the ssd have you?
Yea I know, I was looking for a 830 but I couldn't find it, they were replaced with the 840s.

No I am running it from Sata3. I Tried both the Intel controller and the Marvel one. But both gave me the same "bad" performance.

Bios is set to AHCI. Haven't tried to defrag it, Windows turned that off for me aside with some other things like indexing.

I have no idea where the bad performance is coming from, I hope it will be solved with an firmware update soon.

Then everything should be working just fine. It could just be a bad SSD. Contact them. They have great customer service. Let us know what they say, it would be interesting to know whats causing this.

My Mobile Devices: HTC Dream (G1) Rooted, HTC Bravo (Desire) Rooted, Samsung Galaxy SII Rooted, Samsung Galaxy Note II Rooted, iPhone 4s Jailbroken, iPad 2 Jailbroken

Ok I'll try that.

Let's hope they can figure it out.

Advertised as 520 speeds, getting 420 is still reasonable--you never really get as advertised.

However, 50 second boot times are fairly ridiculous...

Is another factor bottlenecking it? Memory? CPU? Your motherboard?

What are your specs?

Don't think my system is holding it back.

Intel core I7 2600 (-> yes non-k , i know i'm stupid :()

8GB G.skill 1333Mhz

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3

Evga GTX285

Advertised as 520 speeds' date=' getting 420 is still reasonable--you never really get as advertised[/quote']

I know but saying it does 520 and I'm getting 350. That's a little bit cheaty I think. If I was getting 420 I would be much happier.

Do you reinstalled windows or moved it from previous boot drive? Have you installed motherboard chipset drivers?

Passionate indie android developer

Intel RST and updating the motherboard drivers fixed slow performance and blue screens for me when I got my Corsair Neutron Gtx, I'd recommend the same course of action.

Do you reinstalled windows or moved it from previous boot drive? Have you installed motherboard chipset drivers?

It was a fresh install of windows. All drivers are installed and up to date.

Intel RST and updating the motherboard drivers fixed slow performance and blue screens for me when I got my Corsair Neutron Gtx' date=' I'd recommend the same course of action.[/quote']

All the drivers are installed, I updated the bios too.

Updated Firmware for SSD?

BTW, are you sure you used SATA3 cable and port?

"Admitting to being involved in the distribution of copyrighted software/media, cracks and product keys."

I'm pirate. U ban me Linus?

• 2 weeks later...
Updated Firmware for SSD? BTW' date=' are you sure you used SATA3 cable and port? [/quote']

Firmware is updated, and all sata3

I finally got in contact with Samsung and we figured it out.

When I installed my Windows the Sata2 controller was set to IDE which apparently set the Sata3 controller to IDE even when it's on AHCI.

So I changed that and re installed my windows and now it runs like a charm.

​ I'm glad I found it. Samsung's customers service was amazing, they helped me find it and we had a laugh. +1 for Samsung!