Is this possible ?

WR10
Go to solution Solved by Askew,

Yes, just make sure the destination SSD is the only one plugged in when you install, when it's done you can just choose which one to boot from in the BIOS whenever you want, it's called dual booting.

Is it possible to fresh install a windows to a new SSD , selecting it as main drive/ boot drive , while the existing HDD still have windows and other files ?

Meaning I won't have to touch anything on the HDD

Yes, just make sure the destination SSD is the only one plugged in when you install, when it's done you can just choose which one to boot from in the BIOS whenever you want, it's called dual booting.

But it's not recommended to do that because windows sometimes craps some files into another drive and then you can't remove it or pc won't boot. It's best to disconnect the orther drive.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I was planning on doing somthing like thtis, is there any easy way of removing the old windows files from it without touching my files or games.

Twitter | Steam |

I was planning on doing somthing like thtis, is there any easy way of removing the old windows files from it without touching my files or games.

You could have issues with some installed games, but as for files I'd recommend just backing them up to another drive, formatting the original drive and just putting them back on clean.

You could even just remove the old drive, plug in the new one, install windows to it and then plug back in the old one, boot from the new one and then the old drive will show up in My Computer and you can just drag what you want across and then format the old drive.

Method 1 is easiest, find a drive to back stuff up and then format the old drive with old windows.

You could have issues with some installed games, but as for files I'd recommend just backing them up to another drive, formatting the original drive and just putting them back on clean.

You could even just remove the old drive, plug in the new one, install windows to it and then plug back in the old one, boot from the new one and then the old drive will show up in My Computer and you can just drag what you want across and then format the old drive.

Method 1 is easiest, find a drive to back stuff up and then format the old drive with old windows.

I have my hard drive partitioned at the moment. Files and programs seperate. So would i be fine foratting one half of the hard drive and then reinstalling all of my games?

Twitter | Steam |

I have my hard drive partitioned at the moment. Files and programs seperate. So would i be fine foratting one half of the hard drive and then reinstalling all of my games?

Yes you can format one partition.