Corsair AX860i vs. RM850

HardstyleHorse

So I'm upgrading my system and so I'm looking for a new PSU!

Which one of these would you buy and more important why? 

Thanks in advance!

AX. It has 10 more watts. 

Kappa.

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

The RM850 is built using low quality capacitors, so the AX series is definitely superior.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

The AX and AXi Series are far better than the RM Series. And I don't say this because Platinum > Gold efficiency.

AX/AXi are more expensive though.

Also, could you list your PC specs so we can get an idea of what to recommend. Any reason for only considering Corsair power supplies? They're not the only brand on the market, and there are many more with comparably excellent power supplies for less.

@TheDigitalRealm @PassionFruit AXi, not AX.

The AX is a better power supply using much higher quality components and also has better efficiency 

that said Jonny Guru gave the rm850 a great rating despite this and it comes with a great 5 year warranty, so its a great value PSU

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

well i got the rm850 myself and i just got it because of that fan not even spinning at idle. now i dont know about the value of those two but for me the rm850 is working great

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

The AX is a better power supply using much higher quality components and also has better efficiency 

that said Jonny Guru gave the rm850 a great rating despite this and it comes with a great 5 year warranty, so its a great value PSU

Except it's generally overpriced.

Except it's generally overpriced.

Agreed, often you can get the AX series (or another brand) for the same or a tiny bit more money. 

It is not the be all and end all of PSUs but it is fine for most people

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I know? They're both equal in terms of quality, I just didn't type the "i" because what I was saying referred to the AX series as a whole, not specifically the AXi Power Supplies. I don't understand why you corrected me....

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

I know? They're both equal in terms of quality, I just didn't type the "i" because what I was saying referred to the AX series as a whole, not specifically the AXi Power Supplies. I don't understand why you corrected me....

Well the AX are different to the AXi. One is Seasonic, the other is Flextronics. They're different platforms, not that I pretend to know much about them.

Agreed, often you can get the AX series (or another brand) for the same or a tiny bit more money. 

It is not the be all and end all of PSUs but it is fine for most people

Yep. I find the G2 750W is often $50 cheaper than the AX760(i) as well.

Even though I'm frequently annoyed by people recommending the RM Series without knowing much about it or considering the alternatives, they're all good units. They should last years and deliver the rated wattage with performance easily within the ATX specifications. It's just that some are better and better value than others. Still, I need to take a step back sometimes and realise people aren't making a terrible mistake by going with an RM unit.

Well the AX are different to the AXi. One is Seasonic, the other is Flextronics. They're different platforms, not that I pretend to know much about them.

They are, but it's not relevant as they're both of comparable quality, so what I was saying applied to both. Still confused.

Yep. I find the G2 750W is often $50 cheaper than the AX760(i) as well.

Even though I'm frequently annoyed by people recommending the RM Series without knowing much about it or considering the alternatives, they're all good units. They should last years and deliver the rated wattage with performance easily within the ATX specifications. It's just that some are better and better value than others. Still, I need to take a step back sometimes and realise people aren't making a terrible mistake by going with an RM unit.

They could certainly make worse decisions, Its not going to blow up and murder them

I have one I got it for about 2/3rds the price it normally goes for. And it is doing an exemplary job. The only thing that annoys me is the shape...and the orange stickers (in my black and red build)

In my server I am using a seasonic strider as it was rated for 24/7 use

ShadowCaptain, on 17 Jun 2014 - 6:05 PM, said:

In my server I am using a seasonic strider as it was rated for 24/7 use

You mean Silverstone Strider? ;)

The AX and AXi Series are far better than the RM Series. And I don't say this because Platinum > Gold efficiency.

AX/AXi are more expensive though.

Also, could you list your PC specs so we can get an idea of what to recommend. Any reason for only considering Corsair power supplies? They're not the only brand on the market, and there are many more with comparably excellent power supplies for less.

So that's what I've planned:

Case: H440

CPU: Waiting for the 4790K

CPU-Cooler: H100i

MoBo: Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero

GPU: Zotac GTX 780 AMP!

The reason why I'm looking for a corsair PSU is because al the previous builds from Linus contained a Corsair AXi. 

@HardstyleHorse I should've asked for your location and budget, and preferred retailer. If you don't have plans to add another 780, you could do with 500-550W easily. We could give our usual suggestions, but more information from you would help.

You mean Silverstone Strider? ;)

Yes blergh, im at work leave me alone ><

@HardstyleHorse I should've asked for your location and budget, and preferred retailer. If you don't have plans to add another 780, you could do with 500-550W easily. We could give our usual suggestions, but more information from you would help.

I'm sorry for the lack of Information. I live in Switzerland. When it comes to the budget I take the following to my mind: Better pay more once and be longer satisfied, than upgrading a year later again to save money at this point.

Also I do not plan to put in a second GTX 780.  

My preffered reatiler is a website called digitec.ch, but I don't think this helps you a lot. 

If you're concerned about noise I'd just avoid the AXi, just too many design flaws regarding the fanprofile that just ruins its premium pricetag. RM psu's aren't worth it, the evga 750/850 G2 is currently the way to go.

@HardstyleHorse Don't be sorry about that, I forgot to ask for that stuff.

The translation for the site works fairly well, but the currency shows as a number, sometimes with .- at the end of it. I think these are the prices.

Seasonic G Series 550W for 106

Corsair RM550 for 118

V550 for 105

Those are my suggestions from searching the site. Personally I would go with either the V550 or G550, but as much as I think the RM Series is overpriced, the difference isn't too much. But some people trust corsair and like the look of the RM Series, so the decision is yours. They're all pretty good, though it might be worth mentioning the RM550 is fully modular, while the other two are only semi modular, if that matters to you.

Tying this in with the original post, you won't need 850W for a single 780 system.

@HardstyleHorse Don't be sorry about that, I forgot to ask for that stuff.

The translation for the site works fairly well, but the currency shows as a number, sometimes with .- at the end of it. I think these are the prices.

Seasonic G Series 550W for 106

Corsair RM550 for 118

V550 for 105

Those are my suggestions from searching the site. Personally I would go with either the V550 or G550, but as much as I think the RM Series is overpriced, the difference isn't too much. But some people trust corsair and like the look of the RM Series, so the decision is yours. They're all pretty good, though it might be worth mentioning the RM550 is fully modular, while the other two are only semi modular, if that matters to you.

Tying this in with the original post, you won't need 850W for a single 780 system.

Thank you very much for your intense research and your time! 

Another mistake on my part: I forgot to mention that I would like to have a full modular PSU, unfortunately the Seasonic G & V550 aren't. Sorry abou that :/

I have a question: I wanted to buy the Corsair AX 860i because it has good review on http://JonnyGURU.com so I went on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139041 and I've notice a lot of people saying that this power supply died after few minutes or months. That concerns me because it's quite an expensive power supply and it supposed to have great build quality.

So after reading those user reviews from newegg (if you did) would you still bought the AX 860i or get the new EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 which has even better reviews on JonnyGuru??

I have a question: I wanted to buy the Corsair AX 860i because it has good review on http://JonnyGURU.com so I went on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139041 and I've notice a lot of people saying that this power supply died after few minutes or months. That concerns me because it's quite an expensive power supply and it supposed to have great build quality.

So after reading those user reviews from newegg (if you did) would you still bought the AX 860i or get the new EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 which has even better reviews on JonnyGuru??

The thing about reviews on Newegg is that people who are annoyed at a dead power supply are much more likely to write a review of it than people who are satisfied. If 20% of the AXi series died quickly, Corsair wouldn't be selling them.

The AX non-i are Seasonic-made units, and are generally very good except that they are known to suffer from coil whine, like my AX760.

The AXi series are Flextronics-made units, which are different but still excellent. They are expensive though.

The EVGA Supernova G2 Series is excellent also, and generally cheaper than the AXi Series counterparts. If price matters, I would go with the G2. Some people like Corsair or specifically prefer the look of the AXi units, so they go with the AXi Series. Neither choice is a mistake, they're excellent units in every way.

The thing about reviews on Newegg is that people who are annoyed at a dead power supply are much more likely to write a review of it than people who are satisfied. If 20% of the AXi series died quickly, Corsair wouldn't be selling them.

The AX non-i are Seasonic-made units, and are generally very good except that they are known to suffer from coil whine, like my AX760.

The AXi series are Flextronics-made units, which are different but still excellent. They are expensive though.

The EVGA Supernova G2 Series is excellent also, and generally cheaper than the AXi Series counterparts. If price matters, I would go with the G2. Some people like Corsair or specifically prefer the look of the AXi units, so they go with the AXi Series. Neither choice is a mistake, they're excellent units in every way.

Thank you for clearing this up for me.