PC hangs at end of CHKDSK on boot.

Ginge620

So ive let my system check a 1.5TB WD drive for consistency but at the end of stage 3 after it says the number of files processed the system hangs and nothing happens. What can i do?

PC 1 Specs (New) :

Corsair 450D | Intel 4770K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz | Asus STRIX GTX 970 SLI | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 2 WD Black 500GB RAID 0 | WD Red 3TB | Corsair AX860 | Corsair H110 | 4 Corsair 140mm LED & 1 120mm Fans

PC 2 Specs (Old) :

Corsair 650D | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 4GB Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz | Crossfire HD6970's | Asus Essence STX | OCZ Agility 3 240GB| WD Blue 250GB | WD Green 640GB | XFX850PRO | Corsair H100i

Peripherals :

BenQ 2420T | Packard Bell Viseo 220DX | Corsair K70 | Corsair M65 | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium | Sennheiser PC360 | Bang & Olufsen Beovox X25's

So ive let my system check a 1.5TB WD drive for consistency but at the end of stage 3 after it says the number of files processed the system hangs and nothing happens. What can i do?

How long have you waited? I've seen a chkdsk sometimes take a good 30mins to terminate. Specially if there's ALOT of errors.

Well 1.5tb i a large HDD, may take longer to check it i believe. Let it sit overnight and see what happens.

"You are who you choose to be.....Choose"

See my Profile for my 

Boot into a windows cd and go into system recovery options as shown in this guide: http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=6565

If you have your windows located on a C: drive then the command will be: chkdsk C: /r /f 

This should recover data from bad sectors and replace corrupted files from the windows cd. Good luck!

Source. option 2: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Well 1.5tb i a large HDD, may take longer to check it i believe. Let it sit overnight and see what happens.

Left the PC on for 9 hours while at work still at the same point.

PC 1 Specs (New) :

Corsair 450D | Intel 4770K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz | Asus STRIX GTX 970 SLI | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 2 WD Black 500GB RAID 0 | WD Red 3TB | Corsair AX860 | Corsair H110 | 4 Corsair 140mm LED & 1 120mm Fans

PC 2 Specs (Old) :

Corsair 650D | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 4GB Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz | Crossfire HD6970's | Asus Essence STX | OCZ Agility 3 240GB| WD Blue 250GB | WD Green 640GB | XFX850PRO | Corsair H100i

Peripherals :

BenQ 2420T | Packard Bell Viseo 220DX | Corsair K70 | Corsair M65 | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium | Sennheiser PC360 | Bang & Olufsen Beovox X25's

Boot into a windows cd and go into system recovery options as shown in this guide: http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=6565

If you have your windows located on a C: drive then the command will be: chkdsk C: /r /f 

This should recover data from bad sectors and replace corrupted files from the windows cd. Good luck!

Source. option 2: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html

I tried doing chkdsk D: /f /r before and it never finishes and i left it doing that overnight too. I did the test on my ssd and it worked fine completed the check in seconds. Also i put the drive in my server pc and was able to skip the chkdsk prompt which appeared, got into windows and the drive worked. Put it back into my main pc was able to skip the prompt at boot, got into windows and it worked too. Tried to do a disk check on it , left it for a while and i froze at 75k out of 90k. Cancled it and the drive cant be accessed. I get access denied pop up.

Restart my pc with the drive out got into windows, plugged the drive into the hot swap bay at the top. The drive showed up after about 2 minutes but the blue bar that shows how much space is left isnt there and when i click the drive it tries to load for around 3 minutes with the green load bar at the top slowly going across then explorer freezes.

Ive tried going into disk management and it doesn't load up just says connecting to virtual disk service.

Also tried using EaseUs pratition master and that does the same thing.

Is the drive dead cos i think it is. Been looking at the WD 3TB Red drives for i while thinking of getting 1 or 2 of those.

PC 1 Specs (New) :

PC 2 Specs (Old) :

Peripherals :

I tried doing chkdsk D: /f /r before and it never finishes and i left it doing that overnight too. I did the test on my ssd and it worked fine completed the check in seconds. Also i put the drive in my server pc and was able to skip the chkdsk prompt which appeared, got into windows and the drive worked. Put it back into my main pc was able to skip the prompt at boot, got into windows and it worked too. Tried to do a disk check on it , left it for a while and i froze at 75k out of 90k. Cancled it and the drive cant be accessed. I get access denied pop up.

Restart my pc with the drive out got into windows, plugged the drive into the hot swap bay at the top. The drive showed up after about 2 minutes but the blue bar that shows how much space is left isnt there and when i click the drive it tries to load for around 3 minutes with the green load bar at the top slowly going across then explorer freezes.

Ive tried going into disk management and it doesn't load up just says connecting to virtual disk service.

Also tried using EaseUs pratition master and that does the same thing.

Is the drive dead cos i think it is. Been looking at the WD 3TB Red drives for i while thinking of getting 1 or 2 of those.

It could mean two things.

One is you corrupted the file system when you cancelled the disk check.

The second is a nearly dead drive.

How long do you have it for?

How long are you experiencing these symptoms?

It could mean two things.

One is you corrupted the file system when you cancelled the disk check.

The second is a nearly dead drive.

How long do you have it for?

How long are you experiencing these symptoms?

This is the second of two drives as the first one died of a bad sector after 3-4 weeks. This one is about 1 year old now. Only been having the problem for a few days. Btw this is a Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB drive.

Also, i have managed to get the data i need off it by changing the SATA mode to IDE, that gave the option to skip the chkdsk prompt as my PC started to freeze at the Starting windows logo. Just formatted the drive and now running a full disk check, in windows. Leaving it over night again as it takes ages anyway. Update tomoro.

PC 1 Specs (New) :

PC 2 Specs (Old) :

Peripherals :