Wifi repeater with a wired connection?

Stefken89

Hi guys!

I have a modem/router that my ISP gave me with my internet-plan (Telenet in Belgium).

The problem is: there seems to be something in the walls/ceiling that blocks my wifi signal to go up to the first (and second) floor. If I am right above it, it kinda works but the connection sucks and I lose it constantly.

My desktop is on the first floor with a wired connection, and I have another cable routed to the bedroom on the first floor that I use now to my ultrabook a wired connection when using it there.

What I would want to do (if it is possible), is to set up a router/repeater on the first floor with a wired connection to the modem/router downstairs, but if possible I would want it to send out the same wireless network (same network-name and password) as the router downstairs, so that I don't have to switch all the time when moving the laptop and phones from one floor to another...

- Is this possible?

- If so, how do I set this up? 

- Any suggestions for routers that can do this?

Thx!

Stef

Basically you have to buy an access point. It's a repeater but with wired connection. You can buy another access point and set it up or you could use one of your old routers and configure it to act like an access point 

As for wireless UN and password just set both the wifi networks with same username and password and you won't be facing much problems except while you skyping for example you may get disconnected for a few seconds when your device switches. Some routers have a feature called wireless hand off but I'm not sure how it works as I haven't used it. 

I use my D-link DIR-835 as my main and use Linksys WRT120N as my access point (Both which I don't recommend) in my house for extended WiFi