Tablet/Ultrabook/Laptop Recommendation Thread

Hello gentlemen, got quite the request for you today. I've been searching for a new mobile device for a while now and had a requirement change, so now I'm not so sure about my previous selection and am looking for thoughts and recommendations from the internet's handsomest forum.

What I'm looking for:

• Windows 8.1
  • Ultra-book Convertible preferably or a good touch-screen laptop if it's especially awesome
  • Canada, CAD price's if possible gents
  • Budget is flexible, I'd rather pick out my perfect device and save up to reach it. That said, let's try not to go over $2000 here.
  • Touchscreen
  • 10" - 15" screen
  • 1080p+
  • The ability to run some 3d modelling, CAD and photoshop without being a complete shit-show. Not expecting a Workstation or Quadro level though.
  • Steam streaming from my real gaming machine (specs in sig).
  • At least 2 USB 3.0 ports (the more the merrier)
  • HDMI or Mini-HDMI output
  • Great keyboard, Ten Keyless layout if possible. No need for Macro's or anything fancy. Back-lit is a plus.
  • Unobtrusive touch-pad (will never use it, wish they made laptops without them)
  • The thinner and lighter the better
  • An Ethernet in port (an additional console out port would be awesome as well)
  • Wireless AC
  • 256GB+ SSD
  • 8GB+ RAM
  • 8 Hour+ Battery Life (The more the better, obviously)

What it will be used for:

• Netflix
  • Internet browsing
  • Office work (Excel and Access mostly)
  • Light 3D modelling
  • Light CAD work
  • Photo editing
  • Video playback on HDTV
  • Steam streaming from Desktop, playback on HDTV
  • Ebook reading (if a tablet style)

What I was looking at:

• Last time I really looked at my options was 6 months ago and my clear favorite was the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga, the more business/performance-focused version of their Yoga model. But things move so fast I'm sure I missed some great stuff. What would you recommend?

Edit: Ended up getting the Think-pad after all: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/166669-tabletultrabooklaptop-recommendation-thread/#entry2724994

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

Bump?

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

SURFACE PRO 3!

If you love what you do, it's not work.

@BudgetEngineer The Yoga Pro 2 did make it to my final round of consideration but the weaker i7-4500U really looses it points for me. Although once they release the Pro 3 it'll probably be just about perfect, wish I had some idea when that might be.

@marc23 Yeah, the Surface Pro 3 is a nice improvement on the 2, but I'm still iffy about the type-keyboard (gotta try one at in a store one of these days) and it's only got the one usb port, i would really need two...

Thanks for the recommendations so far guys

If it helps, here's what I've already considered (last updated back in Feb):

AprilLaptopComparison.JPG

I'm willing to say that the 4500U is probably good enough for photo editing and light cad work. If it's possible to borrow a PC with one to try it out I would recommend doing that if you are really concerned.

Maybe consider some Asus or Samsung ultrabooks?

I'm willing to say that the 4500U is probably good enough for photo editing and light cad work. If it's possible to borrow a PC with one to try it out I would recommend doing that if you are really concerned. Maybe consider some Asus or Samsung ultrabooks?

Never really considered Samsung before, I shall take a look tonight

• 2 months later...

For future Googlers I ended up going with the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga with the 4500U. Got it with employee pricing through SPC (Student Price Card Canada) for $1800. It is indeed running everything I need it to butter smooth so far. Still have to try Photoshop but I'm not anticipating any problems.

Steam Streaming works great and connecting to a tv is as effortless as it should be. It's a little too heavy for most tablet uses but propping against a couch or something works good for e-reading (comics look amazing). If anybody has any questions about the Yoga I'll be following this thread.

iPad/MacBookAir/MacBookPro respectively

GET REKT

-Prepares for onslaught of pissed peole for having a completely just opinion-

Follow up- insane battery life, insane screens (on Pros), insane build quality, and they run Windows. They all have AC, the trackpads are worth using, and have phenomenal keyboards with nice backlighting. The 15" Pro (maybe even the 13") has a full HDMI output, and they all have 3 USB 3.0 ports.