Parts List for ULTIMATE 4K Gaming PC Build Guide

I'm glad you didn't go for titan blacks, those would have made 0 sense :)

You are insluting my build. 

You are insluting my build. 

No, I'm just saying that for pure gaming a titan black is not worth it. For compute applications, it's a great card.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That was truly an amazing tutorial! I've never seen zooming into the motherboard for building instructions as done here.

I think a more budget-friendly build getting THIS kind of detail would make more sense because first-time builders who need the amount of detailed advice given in the video probably aren't the ones planning to build a PC for 4K.

Don't take this as a criticism of this video (because I LOVED it) but more as a suggestion for another build guide.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Linus has the wrong NCIX link for the Corsair Obsidian 760T. He linked the mobo instead xD

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

wikid 

i7 875k @ 4.2 GHz, MSI BIG BANG TRINERGY BOARD, 16GB RAM, OCZ AGILITY 120GB SSD, MSI GTX 580, FULL CUSTOM WATERCOOLED

The build guides are cool, well explained, shows the right things and the editing gets better with every guide.

But I don't understand who they're for any more? They seem pretty redundant by now. Who's going to look at this particular build guide and think "Gosh Darn it, I wish they had a guide with the same parts, but with SLI instead" Or with an AMD APU, smaller motherboard or whatever? It's nearly the same either way. It shouldn't need 10 minutes of explaining how to install RAM and CPU, Just because there's an extra graphics card or a slightly smaller motherboard.

And it would amaze me, if anyone ever bought a specific setup from a build guide, because of the build guide, to build a system just like the one in the video. But I obviously am not the targeted audience, so that might be why I can't understand it. :)

I think the concept could use some rethinking. Maybe by doing segments instead: "When building m-itx systems you should consider this and that" "When building SLI systems, be sure to have enough power, pros and cons of  the various cooler designs" etc.

It seems to be a good way to get some sweet hardware in stock though. :)

I agree with some things you said, but also, consider a new person who just got into PCs, s/he'd most likely want all the latest stuff and how-to's if s/he was going to build a new system.

For me, I started watching his videos when he was doing the unboxings at NCIX and loved his enthusiasm for PC stuff and I enjoyed every video from him. Then I stumbled upon some build guides from him and I got more and more interested in making a PC for myself as well and more and more comfortable with making it myself. In the end I watched enough of his guides to pull the trigger and make my first PC by myself. It's good that he covers more systems than just one, so if you put together some system that he hasn't made a build guide for, you can apply the knowledge from few guides to your build.

And seeing that every build is "kinda same" makes you know that it's not a rocket science and that everything goes in the same way, no matter what you buy...

Tho, I agree with the part that they are all "kinda same" for those that know how to put together same system as he did, without the guide. But I bet that the new guys did learn something from it and I bet there is some person that only watched this guide so far and soaked in everything Linus had said/shown in this guide since it was all new for him/her.

What I'd like to see is more "exotic" build, like the one he did in ft03 mini, in a tiny case, or make some uber system in a case you can't fit a long GPU. The stuff that not everyone knows.

Or make a better system in a case as big as that new alienware thing (steambox)

Or make a custom loop in a tiny case and explain the do's and don'ts

Or how to make miracles...in a tiny case

I think most of ppl here would know how to put together a system in a mid/full tower case easily. Probably in itx case as well, but it would be harder for sure. He hasn't done many guides in mitx systems.

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Great intro and Outro +1

My Rig: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

How did you get around the Raid problem with the X79 Chipset ? cause i amount of times i tried to do it with mine it never worked.

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

I really like the way this video was done! Great job!

I liked the zoom ins and the moving labels and all of that, it was really slick!

Keep it up!

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

my "personal target" on FPS avg is 80 fps (not 40 fps, and not 60 fps, "80 fps" is the number)

so no -_- two 780 ti "is not enough" for 4K

Where can I get one of those height-adjust, pivot and twist stands with vesa support?

My favourite one of all, for the dell ultrasharp, uses a proprietary clip.

I'm using an asus VE278H, by the way.

That was definitely the highest quality video to come out of Linus Media Group. Great job all!!! 

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

That was definitely the highest quality video to come out of Linus Media Group. Great job all!!! 

I was thinking the same thing in terms of sheer production value. 

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

I don't know if Linus answers to these topics but I would like to ask why he chosed BitFenix Spectre PRO LED over BitFenix Spectre non-PRO LED that has been "proved" (quotes because I may be wrong) to be superior both in cooling AND noise levels.

EDIT: And Spectre LED (non-PRO) has a PWM version too.

The non pro ones are actually pretty bad especially for radiators. They are not pressure optimized and the Pro ones have been out for a long time and they are just as "proven" and even more so than the non pros. 

Because sound cards are a total waste of money and are worse than onboard most of the time...

Almost an elitist post there. Glad you added that most of the time. But yeah in this case a sound card is crap in comparison to this board's solution.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

Almost an elitist post there. Glad you added that most of the time. But yeah in this case a sound card is crap in comparison to this board's solution.

Didn't mean to come off as elitist. Just saying what is true. It's mostly marketing. There are some times where a sound card is actually beneficial like if you have hard to drive headphones and you just need some cheap amplification. 

Didn't mean to come off as elitist. Just saying what is true. It's mostly marketing. There are some times where a sound card is actually beneficial like if you have hard to drive headphones and you just need some cheap amplification. 

Well not really, I just remember that one time Linus actually said on his channel how elitist the sound community is for bashing on that poor guy who bought a sound card because with his onboard it was too quiet. 

Well not really, I just remember that one time Linus actually said on his channel how elitist the sound community is for bashing on that poor guy who bought a sound card because with his onboard it was too quiet. 

Ironically I don't think the regulars were actually the ones doing the bashing. I remember when that thread started and it was a few guys arguing since TekSyndicate just came out with that sound card is BS video and then it got out of control. 

Edit: I just quickly scrolled through the first few pages of that post and it was actually just random guys there were not regulars repeating what was said in the video and the regulars only come on to correct the people that were adamant that the video was complete BS and then it spiraled. The regulars never bashed the OP as far as I know. 

Hi people. I was thinking about doing this build but I was thinking about making some changes. For the power supply I was thinking a 1000 Watt Corsair RM1000 80 Plu gold modular power supply and for the graphics card replace the dual 780 ti with dual ASUS 6gb GTX Titans. Should I make these changes. I cant find the cooler master power supply that linus recommended at any Australian stores and I read somewhere that Titans will be able to handle 4K better then the 780 ti. Hope you guys help and these are good decisions

Regards

bart7681

This ultimate build guide is all about getting a great gaming experience at 4K. It's a no-compromises machine... but one that also doesn't just dump money down teh toilet for the sake of it, so while there might (read: will) be stuff out there that's a better bang for the buck, every piece of this monster DOES have a purpose.

I'm going to list out the components as well as provide a source or two for where you can get them :)

I can't tell you where to buy this stuff, but I do lean towards NCIX for the Canadians (and International viewers if their pricing and shipping costs work out for you) because they're my bros, and for Americans, Brits, and a couple other regions, the Amazon links below are affiliate links, so of course every little bit helps :)

CORE COMPONENTS

CPU: Intel Core i7 4930K Unlocked Six Core Processor with HyperThreading

SSD: 2x Intel 730 Series 480GB SSDs in RAID0

Motherboard: ASUS X79 Deluxe
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 760T
Video Card: Dual GeForce GTX 780 Ti Reference Cards in SLI

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1p61IuK

Amazon: http://georiot.co/hAW

RAM: 32GB G.SKILL 2400MHz Quad Channel DDR3

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1orlrsU

Amazon: N/A

Power Supply: Cooler Master V Series 850W